Devblog: Preparing For The Future – Retirement Of Captain’s Quarters & Twitch Integration

Sad to see it go as it could have been something great, but I get it. There are certain to be other games out there that scratch the WiS itch. However until a gaming company nails down a sandbox FiS and WiS in one fell swoop Eve is still the best scifi MMO you’ll find out there.

2 Likes

Wet Jovian grave.

1 Like

More correct:
The first prototype of the Capsuleer by Jovian technology. :chillparrot:

1 Like

[quote=“Frostys_Virpio, post:459, topic:9940”] [quote=“DeMichael_Crimson, post:454, topic:9940”]
CCP doesn’t care if the PLEX get’s cashed in for game time (they probably hope it doesn’t), or gets destroyed (they probably hope it does) or sits in somebodys station hangar / redeeming queue (they probably don’t like thinking about that). CCP got the money for that PLEX before it even entered the game.
[/quote]If they didn’t cared, it would not be a deferred income on their balance sheet. But it’s ok, people can still be happy it’s not THEIR money while CCP laugh their way to the bank seeing customer unable to stop playing a game they keep saying they dislike. All the people who keep playing in such situation are essentially stuck in a sunk cost problem they don’t have the will to get out of.
[/quote]
Seriously learn some reading comprehension. CCP only cares about the initial sale of PLEX, not what happens to it afterwards.

Saying CCP makes money on PLEX when players redeem it is nothing more than a gigantic load of horseshit. CCP already got the money for that PLEX before it actually entered the game.

Whether you like it or not, players who use ISK to purchase PLEX in game and then redeem it for game time are actually getting free Omega game play.

By the way, nobody said they don’t like the game, they just don’t like some of the changes CCP is doing to the game.

DMC

1 Like

Go and read CCP Financials.
While the money may exist in CCP’s wallet in reality, they don’t count it as actually earned & usable until it’s actually consumed in game for a product or service. Because until that time there is some legal stuff surrounding it which means it still sorta has RL value.
So anyone playing by Plex is adding to CCP’s balance sheet, regardless of what they might think.

1 Like

i remember reading this. Something, something, deferred income?

1 Like

PLEX doesn’t need to be redeemed and consumed for a product or service in game to be counted as money earned for CCP. They’ve already gotten the money for it and have added it to their books, even if the PLEX remains sitting in someones redeeming queue, station assets or gets destroyed.

As for your legal stuff, you really should read up on CCP’s EULA, specifically the part pertaining to PROPRIETARY RIGHTS.

DMC

1 Like

And this is where you are wrong. They haven’t added it to their books as income. Seriously, go and actually read their books.

4 Likes

We’ll see what they have in store with project nova. That’ll be your free to play PC avatar experience built on a game engine that’s more easier to manage. I highly doubt we’ll see anything major within the Eve client.

I legitimately think CCP buried the lead on this one.

I am actually excited for a 64 bit client!

[quote=“Nevyn_Auscent, post:478, topic:9940”][quote=“DeMichael_Crimson, post:477, topic:9940”]
They’ve already gotten the money for it and have added it to their books
[/quote]And this is where you are wrong. They haven’t added it to their books as income. Seriously, go and actually read their books.[/quote]
I seriously doubt that is the case. CCP has to disclose all financial reports to shareholders and for tax purposes as well. Since PLEX is sold for real life money it’s included in the report. More than likely the report is done quarterly (every 3 months) but it’s still income that has to be declared.

The point is you said it’s not counted as income unless the PLEX is consumed or used ingame which is wrong. They still collected real life money for it even if the PLEX remains sitting in someones redeeming queue, station assets or gets destroyed.

As for reading their books, please provide a link to it.

DMC

There’s a wealth of information available, only need to ask google: ccp plex deferred income

As ever, to get an idea of how much Plex is sitting in hangers we look at the Deferred Income line in the balance sheet.

This attitude of “prove your claim yourself” instead of “okay, i’ll look for it myself” really only serves ones own ignorance. He’s not wrong. He’s right. You could have saved everyone time simply by checking if he might be correct after all, instead of insisting on your ignorance. i’m pretty sure you can do better than that.

A reddit post contains a quote from a blog that’s sadly gone already:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/1nzsg7/5230702_worth_of_plex_still_to_be_converted_or_21/

Revenue from the sale of in-game currency is recognized when it has been consumed and rendering of service has been fully satisfied. Revenues received from the sale of unused in-game currency are reported as deferred revenues among current liabilities.

This should provide you with enough information to do your own further research, in case you still insist on him being wrong. Which he isn’t. vOv

3 Likes

If you’re waiting for DeMichael Crimson to admit he doesn’t know what he’s talking about, well you have better odds of Star Citizens being published tomorrow :rofl: It doesn’t matter what you link , he’ll ignore it. CCP didn’t need to make a sound for a ship entering warp, they just recorded the sound of things going over his head and used that. Very cost effective.

More seriously, what happened here in this part of the ‘discussion’ is a good example of what I’ve been saying about the WiS fanatics in general. They don’t understand how things work (be it plex of the difficulty of adding what amounts to a whole new game to the bones of an existing game that is both old and not well documented) and their ideas and responses are based on this ignorance.

You can see in this very thread how WiS supporters are claiming “it would be so easy to make/maintain, I don’t know why CCP won’t do it”. Like DeMichael Crimson’s glaring ignorance of how plex works , there is a lack of general understanding of why Ambulation failed (and even fried a good few video cards) and why it was a bad idea to begin with.

CCP knows. This is why they have moved away from trying to tack stuff on to EVE (atmospheric flight, ambulation) or link EVE to other wildly different games (DUST) and have shifted to the more rational strategy of making separate games in the EVE universe (Phoenix, Legion).

Wargaming (makers of world of tanks) do something similar, instead of trying to mod world of tanks to have airplanes and ships, they made 2 more games along the same style of WoT to accommodate these things. ie They didn’t screw up their flagship product trying to please everyone because they knew trying to please everyone would just tick off everyone for no gain.

The way CCPs attempt to tack space Barbie BS ticked off people like me (who came for the spaceships)…

The ignorant WiSers want CCP to forget the lessons of the past. The removal of the Captain’s Quarters are a clear signal that CCP has learned from the past, unlike the pie-in-the-sky WiS types.

Coming back to the issue of the guy ‘punishing’ CCP by plexing his accounts, well, I’m fine with it, the demand for plex his move will generate bolsters my FOCUSED SPACESHIP GAME for even longer. It would be ironic if it weren’t so pitiful.

I prefer to believe that we all can see the errors of our ways, despite me constantly ranting about people. We all have our “special moments” happening for whatever reasons. Like one of my special moments, where it had 40 degree outside and despite reading a post I completely failed at comprehending it, making myself look like an idiot. :slight_smile:

Btw, while you’re talking about him, I’ll take the opportunity to talk about you. Your posts are great for TL;DRs, gotta admit that. The amount of redundancy is amazing. When I see a thread, I really only need to search for your post and can get a proper (read: seriously filtered through your ego, but good enough) summary of what’s being written. :slight_smile:

Cut DMC some slack. I’ll cut you some slack. We all suck. Everyone sucks. CCP sucks.

When I’m rich, I’ll buy this company and kick you all off my board. Ha!

:grin:

And now let’s be done with “off topicness”, though I do wonder if there is a point in this thread anyway.

1 Like

Wow, a 2 year old Blog written by somebody who doesn’t work for CCP and a 3 year old Reddit post by another person who doesn’t work for CCP. Both of which are based very heavily on assumptions.

Now I never said ‘Prove your claim yourself’. However I definitely wouldn’t Google some outdated unsubstantiated 3rd party Blog or an opinionated Reddit post and try to pass that off as factual proof. Obviously you were so hellbent on proving me wrong that you never even bothered to look at that Bloggers latest write up on CCP for 2016.

Deferred Income

As highlighted above, there has been an odd change in Deferred Income. Deferred Income relates to cash CCP has received for services to be provided in the future. One example is if a player bought a 3 month subscription at the end of November – in this case the period of January and February would be held on the Balance Sheet for December 2016 as Deferred Income.

Plex was another example – if Plex was bought it technically allowed a player to extend their playtime by 30 days at a later period.

It appears that whilst the Subscriptions deferred revenue is still there, the other two lines have almost gone to zero.

Now, this has implications for what we think Eve Online revenues were. If we assume that the same amount of Plex was bought

I used to think that “In-game purchases not yet consumed” related to Plex. So I am not sure why it has gone to zero!

I am all ears to any ideas on that one?!

Anyway, had all been as expected I wold have expected to see that “In-game purchases not yet consumed” be at least $3m. Given it is not then that $3m would have recognised as sales either in Eve Online or something else.

I really don’t care what that Blog says, it’s just somebody’s opinion. Nothing but assumptions, complete with typo’s, based on a few numbers. PLEX sold by CCP is money right now in the bank, regardless if the PLEX is redeemed ingame for services or not. In fact, if the servers were to be shut down tomorrow, CCP would still have that money gained from the sale of unused PLEX.

So now I’m going to say this, post a link to CCP’s financial books proving that PLEX sales isn’t income unless it’s consumed in game.

Don’t bother, you guys have no clue what you’re talking about and I have much better things to do with my time than get into an off topic forum flame war with some trolls who don’t like WiS.

DMC

Just curious, Jenn, how do you think that Rockstar succeeds in making games that are played both as humans and vehicles, with specific mechanics for each mode? Admittedly they might be more competent than CCP, and certainly are a far larger/wealthier company since they sell games by the milions, but other than that, they do what according to you is a recipe for disaster: a game that can be played both as a person on foot and as a car (or a helicopter, or an airplane).

I am intrigued with their success to do the undoable, frankly.

4 Likes

Ignorance is Strength, apparently.

Okay. :slight_smile:

As usual this “discussion” has devolved into a name-calling trollfest between the pro and anti-WIS factions.

Too bad there’s no proper block function in these new forums so that I could filter out the usual anti-WIS bigots.

4 Likes

Granted I have ZERO knowledge in accounting, but why the distinction? As fas as I know you cannot redeem PLEX once purchased, or can you?

2 Likes

i’m not an accountant, but i’ve seen quite a few discussions about this by actual ones. i have no reason to dismiss people who obviously know what they’re talking about. that’d be rather stupid.

i have no answer to your question. maybe google about it, seek out a forum for accountants and ask there. vOv

though if you do, remember that Ignorance is Strength and talking about it is useless anyway. :slight_smile:

PS: my best guess is that PLEX are gametime, paid in advance, and thus are some sort of liability. Again, find people who know their ■■■■. :slight_smile:

1 Like