Devblog: Preparing For The Future – Retirement Of Captain’s Quarters & Twitch Integration

@CCP_Falcon I would also be in favor of more direct character interaction since I expect it to give the game an even deeper MMORPG feeling. :thumbsup:

@Vollhov_Jr Which game are these screenshots taken from?

3 Likes

Thought Id highlight the answers to your own questions. Rockstar makes games with ‘combined arms’ in mind AT INCEPTION. EVE started with spaceships and nothing else.

Why is it so hard to understand? Some of EVE’s code isn’t even documented, every time CCP patches EVE something else breaks, and that’s with them sticking to spaceships. Incarna literally melted some people’s video cards.

If you scroll up you will see a post by me basically saying that if people want that kind of thing in new eden, it has to be in a new game, made from the ground up with avatar and vehicle stuff meshed to gether from day one (like games made by rockstar). Expecting it to work as a tacked on thing to EVE Online is foolish for customers and unworkable for CCP.

Again I’ll ask, why is this hard to understand, especially given the history of EVE Online?

1 Like

I write the truth as I see it, if you mistake that for ego, I’m sorry, but that’s not my problem. If you want to say that a point I’m making is provably untrue, quote it, and I’ll back up what I’m saying to the extent it’s possible and we’ll come to the truth that way…

As for DMC and your slack, no disrespect intended to you but I don’t care who you cut slack to. DMC is not a poster worthy of adult levels of respect, and you can see it by the increasingly incoherent posting he does when confronted.

Lastly, to get back on topic, CCP is getting rid of the last vestiges of a failed thing. Naïve zealots are mad at this. Therefore all is right in the world. For my part I’m simply pointing out that their advocacy could be better pointed at convincing CCP that a market exists for a comprehensive “World of New Eden” that CCP could make, made from scratch with both vehicle and avatar gameplay in mind. But of course it’s their time to waste if that can’t see that.

Eve Online Fanfest 2009

Preview of walking in a station in eve.
In 2010 there was a demonstration of Carbon Character Technology

The Carbon Framework is a crucial component of CCP’s strategy. It is the foundation upon which our virtual worlds are built.
The technology was initially created by harvesting code from EVE Online, code that had already been hardened through years of development

5 Likes

Says the person who asked for links, then got given links which contained CCP’s Financials, and then dismissed them out of hand.
Jenn might be somewhat toxic, but that doesn’t mean they are wrong in this case. You quite simply aren’t showing anything worthy of respect in your continual flailing and screaming that you are right and we are wrong despite our sources and your lack of sources.

Seems like a whole lot of arguing where people are looking at the one issue differently.

DMC looking at it in terms of money CCP actually receives and others in terms of how the money received is accounted for using accrual methods.

At the end of the day, even as deferred revenue accounted for as a liability (until the PLEX is used), CCP still spend that money and have no obligation to return it to the players (at least under the EULA).

If my reading of the discussion is right, it just seems like there’s not actually any disagreement as such, just arguing the same thing from different perspectives.

1 Like

Just saying, when you use PLEX instead of paying, CCP trades new income for already earned income, so they effectively lose income.

Plex they already sold + 15 new € = CCP earns 35 €
Plex they already sold = CCP earns 20 €

35>20. :woman_teacher:

1 Like

L[quote=“Yiole_Gionglao, post:500, topic:9940”]
Just saying, when you use PLEX instead of paying, CCP trades new income for already earned income, so they effectively lose income.

Plex they already sold + 15 new € = CCP earns 35 €
Plex they already sold = CCP earns 20 €
[/quote]
Oh god. This could lead to whole new off topic arguments.

What’s the point of including PLEX that is never used and claiming CCP are losing money? That makes no sense (ie. it’s saying if we buy two things we give more money than if we buy one… Well of course, but if we only need one, why buy two to begin with? It’s nonsensical); and doesn’t consider that demand for PLEX is in part driven by people that wouldn’t otherwise use cash either, so their demand for PLEX motivates others to give CCP the cash instead. It’s a completely arbitrary and pointless example.

years ago i would have agreed. nowadays i point at the price of plex and need to ask: do you see any indication of that happening?

when you turn your game into f2p, you attract people who don’t want to spend money and at the same time lose people who were willing to do so. Remember that in most f2p games only a small, sub 10% amount of people, actually spend the most cash. Apparently this doesn’t work out if there are no items that give an advantage. EVE isn’t WoT.

Now, to track this thread back to the topic: Twitch
(that is a lot of T’s in one sentence!)

I’ve tried to use CCP’s built in Twitch on more than one occasion and had -let us just say- “limited success” with it. Does anyone used it regurarly?

Says the person who thinks factual proof is an outdated 2 year old Blog post and an opinionated 3 year old Reddit post which are both based very heavily on assumptions by people who don’t even work for CCP.

By the way, you said look at CCP’s books which provide proof to which I said please provide a link to them. That means Official CCP Financial Reports, not some 3rd party Blog or Reddit post.

Obviously you didn’t even bother to read that Bloggers latest write up on CCP for 2016 about PLEX and deferred income. It doesn’t matter anyway, just somebody’s opinion filled with assumptions based on a few numbers.

As for showing anything worthy of respect, you definitely lack in that department as well, especially with your continuous soapbox support for an unsubstantiated source that actually refuted itself with it’s very next Blog posting.

Scipio Artelius summed it up very nicely

DMC

1 Like

Third party sites like marketsforISK can also have the official reports:

2016 Official CCP Consolidated Finanical Statement: marketsforISK: CCP hf. Consolidated Financial Statements for 2016
2015 Official CCP Consolidated Financial Statement: marketsforISK: CCP hf. Consolidated Financial Statements for 2015
2014 Official CCP Consolidated Financial Statement: marketsforISK: CCP hf. Consolidated Financial Statements for 2014

Thanks Scipio.

The moment a subscriber starts using PLEX instead of paying, CCP stops earning that subscription money, thus it’s a loss to them.

Ideally for CCP, people should pay subs with money and buy PLEX for services other than subscription, as even as PLEX subs are more expensive, why charge once if they can charge twice?

2 Likes

This part of the discussion is a good example of why real life politics are so screwed up, people fixate on BS instead of understanding the situation.

One poster in this thread is ticked off at CCP for removing the captains quarters and for other things CCP has done or will do. This posters ‘solution’ is to ‘protest’ , not by doing the ONE THING a customer can do to negatively affect a business that is doing something he doesn’t like ( which is stop being a bloody customer ), but rather by converting to plex and keeping on playing/providing revenue for CCP and content for EVE players (which generates even more revenue for CCP).

It’s like going to a McDonalds and not liking how the fries were prepared, so as a protest the customer gets his buddie to pay for his meal. Then the customer runs around screaming “take that McDonalds, you didn’t get MY MONEY!!!” while ignoring the fact that:

-He still put money into the McDonald’s corporation’s coffers

-His purchase helped drive demand for more of the product he doesn’t like to be produced.

I mean it’s stupid, the poster who is protesting by converting to plex is still helping CCP maintain a game in a way he doesn’t like (spaceships only).

If the poster was sincere in his desire to ‘punish’ CCP for what they are doing or influence CCP to somehow add WiS stuff, he’d quit and encourage others to do so, demonstrating to CCP that there are consequences for not giving customers what they want. Instead, he converts to plex which signals to CCP that “it’s ok to screw me out of WiS, I’ll keep contributing in some form to CCP no matter how bad you screw me”.

The fact that I had to type the above is, again, proof postive that WiS types are unthinking fanatics. If they’d adopt the right tactics, (like we in the FiS community did, we UNSUBBED and took REAL breaks from EVE, not paying CCP a dime o nor plex for a few months and HITTING THEM IN THEIR WALLETS when they neglected flying in space for 18 months to work on WoD and space-barbie), they’d have WiS, but you can’t convince a fanatic that they are hurting themselves more than their enemy.

3 Likes

Rubbish. In order to stop a subscription and use PLEX, the PLEX must have also been paid for.

The whole line of, if I bought PLEX and also paid subscription, CCP gets more, so using PLEX alone means CCP is losing money is flawed.

It’s flawed because in one part of the example you treat PLEX as a donation and the other part as a usable item. It’s inconsistent.

If you are going to be consistent it wouldn’t be:

PLEX + subscription = $35
PLEX alone = $20

Therefore 35 > 20 = CCP losing money

If you are going to have an unused PLEX in one half of your example, you have to maintain it for the other half as well. It becomes:

PLEX + subscription = $35
PLEX + PLEX = $40 (assuming purchased singly)

The PLEX not used for game time is then available for other products or services, for both cases.

Arbitrarily only allowing one half of your example to have an additional PLEX is where it is non-sensical. It could just as easily be presented the opposite way, that CCP gain more income if someone using PLEX buys 2 and uses one for subscription, compare to someone else that just subscribes.

Subscription = $15
PLEX + PLEX = $40

That’s also just a completely arbitrary and non-sensical example because each half has been treated differently, just as in your example. Or, in other words, there’s no constraint that requires your example to be more true than the alternative example. That one extra PLEX can go on either half of the example equally.

So the only consistent way to present the example is to place an e tra PLEX on both halves of the example and in that case, CCP does not lose money. They would remedy that if they did.

It’s often the simplest of things, that are the most difficult to understand… :laughing:

What would happen if everybody stopped buying PLEX but kept paying subscriptions?
And what would happen if everybody stopped buying both PLEX and subscriptions from CCP?

1 Like

People are dissatisfied with EVE for few years. Subscriptions were dropping despite them adding “spaceship” stuff only.

Its not because of WIS, because WIS never happened. Or maybe its because it never happened?

Anyway, they are in pretty bad place now.

7 Likes

Well well well, look who is talking…
Let me just help you correcting your straw man argunments:

Actually you are not exempt from this BS either. See below, let me help you with undestanding the situation.

That be me.
My “protest” is not a protest in that sense. I think I’ve said that on more than one occasion, my “solution” is NOT to punish CCP but to protect my wallet. And opting for a “quiet exit” (more below) .

I don’t convert anything. I have stacks of PLEX. They habe been farmed and paid for so I’ll just use it up and then call it a day.
What you are writing IS a protest, but I’m going to do -again- is not a protest, but not giving MY money to the game.

Calling me (and a couple of others) a WiS fanatic is stretching it, and not by a little bit.
Also this is the us vs. them rhetoric which you can stick it somewhere but not under my nose.

And again: the things you describa are correct IF I was going for a full blown protest, but I am not doing THAT.

Again: I am sad that WiS is gone, but I also stated more than friggin’ once that I am more disheartened by the sleazy reasoning around the feature being axed than the feature being gone. This statement somehow makes me a “WiS Fanatic?” hardly.

And now the thread is de-railed by about 100+ posts of PLEX and finantial reports and all that jazz which has NOTHING in common with Walking in Stations or Twitch integration.

If you really want to prove someone you being supperior “FiS Community” - the F is that again!? Last time I’ve checked we played the same game, but whatever… - then stick to the topic.

2 Likes

They would probably just sit here on the forum and complain about CCP and EVE while never being able to leave and be happy.