Devblog: Preparing For The Future – Retirement Of Captain’s Quarters & Twitch Integration

SC published recently a video that ties very good to this dicussion.
Especially the last line: "there was limitless possibility"

2 Likes

I’m not the one who wants something, I’m not the one who is 'sad to see something go" or ticked off at the way CCP did/said something. You and the others are the people who want something.

I’m not trying to pick on you, but I am saying that your responses and reactions are typical of WiS fans I’ve dealt with and talked to for the last 7 years. I’m starting to think of those responses as “WiS traits” lol. Among them is these enforced feeling of “I’m powerless so why even try?”.

I’m not super big on the idea of avatar play (the only time I’d use it would be for EVA exploration stuff if their was an advantage to doing so) and I don’t think EVE is the right platform for it anyways (spaghetti code still lives), but I don’t hate it. I dislike the advocates of WiS because frankly, they all are very very bad at it (and they get mad at me because they are bad at it).

If you want something, find a way to convince the right people. Work at it. FIGHT. Man up and organize.

I weep for your selfless acts …

We can’t we’ve lost our arms and legs with WiS … :stuck_out_tongue:

On a serious note: I see the writing of the wall, it is not going to happen no matter what we will do, so we enyoj what we have left and try to life off that (for the time being).

1 Like

Do you realize SC has been promising things for years and still have yet do deliver some stuff that were supposed to released YEARS ago even after millions of extra $$$ were dropped in their pockets? And you want CCP to develop stuff like that?

People have “ownership” of ships that will likely never make it into the live game. The spin is real in SC land…

1 Like

Spot-on.

1 Like

Too late for CCP. At this point I prefer SC version of Soon™. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

SC is the refuge of the WiS crowd from EVE now, along with dreamers who aren’t EVE players. That’s why they gave so much money. I contributed to the kickstarter with a small amount myself. But I’m realistic about what can be accomplished and the truth is that Star Citizen is going to fall short, because no game can have or be everything to everyone.

The same people who are complaining here will complain there too, because their expectations are achievable. I do think it will be published though. They kind of missed that initial 2014 launch date by a tad bit though :grin:

1 Like

One more stretch goal!!!

chyeah SC has been around for 1/3 as long as EVE. That can be used to spin things in all kinds of ways. The biggest difference in my opinion is the technology that was around when SC began development.

1 Like

It’s about 3 years late by now with god only know how many more millions in financing through kickstarters + ship sales and other stuff and it’s still not a complete game. The only thing SC can be used for now is spin. Can you imagine what kind of game we could have if all the SC money was invested into a game dev house that isn’t led by an over inflated ego with larger than imaginable vision?

1 Like

Many thanks for your detailed answer, @Vollhov_Jr!

Now I understand why it already looked so EVE-like. :smiley: And what a pity, that station walking was not rolled out to its potential. I just try to imagine how awsome meetings and briefings in a corporation office would be - or hanging out with your wingmans in a rusty bar after a thrilling fleet fight… :cry:

3 Likes

You know how much I’ve spent on SC? The same ammount in Dollars, Euros, Pounds…
(GoT reference there, if you catch it)

SC has a feature creep that dwarfs even EVE in it’s 600 FTE hayday! :smiley: Geez that game has to fullfill a LOT and -as you said it too- will fall short.

Now that I think about it, it is around 120-130 million dollars in founds. That is going to leave a dent in the public founding area. My guess is once that fails, Kickstarter will fail with it.

Ohh that is going to leave a BIG hole. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I can imagine one that is led by an over inflated ego with a very small vision

2 Likes

I thought that too some weeks ago, then I motivated myself to post something on the forum and talk about it.

And I discovered that many players who would enjoy WiS are happy with the game. Yes, we would like to be able and really think that it could improve the EvE universe.

BUT I and those I speak with, does not think it is “mandatory” to make EvE a “huge success”.

So yeaa, more like “not the will” because we like the game as it is, often don’t want to face the hate we can get from the incarna expansion.

The “pro WiS” ARE a minority. therefore, from what I saw, not organized in any way but when you speak with people, and I did it on the facebook group, you discover that even people hating incarna and WiS, end up talking on how cool it would be to play a poker with a friend in a shady bar ^^

3 Likes

Agreed, because:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EternalSeptember

I’ve seen communities die to this. Thanks, CCP Obama.

Meanwhile GTA Online have millions of players worldwide.

2 Likes

Sarcasm is strong in this one :smiley:

1 Like

I wasn’t being sarcastic, but i guess i ripped your line too much out of context. :slight_smile:

And maybe i shouldn’t have used tv-tropes, of all the sites explaining it, but i don’t feel responsible for people who lack self control and get stuck clicking links for hours. :grin:

anyhow, still reading.

The funny thing about bringing up the Incarna release is that CCP has managed to pull a similar trick in the last year - Eve into minimal effort maintenance mode, management focus and development resources poured into unrelated side projects - without generating nearly the same outrage this time around.

8 Likes

@Scatim_Helicon

it’s because at the time of incarna, of what I felt, it was the fear that EvE would become a pay to win game. At the time it was all like “first, space pants then paid ships” and so on.

the fact that incarna only gave a buggy captain quarter was only the tip of the iceberg

1 Like