Devblog: Preparing For The Future – Retirement Of Captain’s Quarters & Twitch Integration

The core game mechanics are set and they are working on delivering them. Of course its incredibly hard, there are dev blogs published by CIG all the time, so you can see for yourself on their you tube channel.

The first few years they didnt had a clue how to do all this stuff. They made couple of big mistakes like giving develeopment of Star Marine to some other studio and they had to scrape that module. Now they are more wise in those matters. I dont defend CIG, I just think they had to become wiser, because of making bad decisions initially, or they would face a complete catastrophe later.

3 Likes

You have to remember Eve at the moment is only a 32-bit app which means it can only use 4GB of memory… now if Eve went 64-bit they can allocate loads more if they needed to…

My machine has 8gb of DDR3 memory on my motherbaord and i am thinking of gettting 16GB

Many apps are now 64-bit…

1 Like

My eve clients only uses 500-800MB of RAM. Also I run multiple accounts at once. I personally see no benefit in switching to 64bit. But do please tell me, what do you think really validates the need for 64bit besides saying that it can do it?

I’d really love to see a dev blog on this as to what are the benefits on client side that really necessitate a switch.

1 Like

I,m not a expert but it just surprises me when EVE is not 64 bit…

Look at Skyrim that is 64bit, all it means is that they allocate more than 4GB if they want to…

Does not mean they have to but look at Windows 10 that is 64-bit and also Mac OS is 64bit…

I am not saying it would be better just more stable…

2 Likes

:astonished:

Wow, that was awesome. Granted it has some bugs and needs to flow more smoothly but overall it’s on the right track for how a ‘Virtual Reality MMORPG Science Fiction Space Simulation’ game should be, especially if they keep working on those aspects and more. In my opinion that game is definitely going to be the ultimate ‘Space Simulation Game’ to play.

What a shame too, CCP could have been the company to do that years ago. But alas, they shot themselves in the foot too many times, are gun shy and hiding in their ‘Spaceships Only’ rut. Obviously they’ve wasted way too much time in that rut. Hell, they couldn’t get out now even if they wanted to do that.

Obviously CCP can’t compete with that, now I know why they decided to remove the CQ.

:worried:

8 Likes

Ah I see now where you got the idea.

The prime reason for going 64bit in those cases is that they have a lot (and I do mean a LOT) of high resolution textures animated figures, castles, hills, trees, etc.

2K, 4K and especially 8K resolution textures eat up memory like nobody’s business.

In EVE we do not have to worry about hills and trees, animation is khm… reserved… and ship skins are in 1K resolution. So it is really light on a basic level.

With massive fleet fights it is a different issue, but I don’t think enabling more memory on the client side would help in in any significant way.

No, that’s not how it works. For regular 32 bit programs, the limit is around 1.2gig of virtual memory per program, which is actually easily circumventable by using shared memory in different processes… but whatever.

all those who praise 64bit might get hit hard by reality, because when they switch to 64bit, memory consumption will increase by quite a bit, thanks to every python object now having a much bigger overhead. this will likely not end as well as people think it will.

this has nothing to do with it, as they all gwt pushed into video ram anyway.

Oh and that too, I forgot about that.

on a sidenote… i think it’s fantastic that quoting people gives them a notification.

1 Like

Doesn’t video ram still have to mapped into program memory space? Or am I wrong?

this sounds awfully complicated lol

only if you want to modify them and then it’s still a window into parts of it and not if all that happens is them being planted on triangles.

I have no idea what a 32 gigabyte app is or a 64 bit one or whatever. Probably means my computer won’t handle Eve anymore :sweat_smile:

1 Like

As computers use numbers to do everything, and 64 bit numbers can be bigger than 32 bit numbers, 64 bit is just more possibilities.

3 Likes

As for handling EVE on computer:
64 bit EVE would not work with 32 bit OS, 64 bit OS is needed.
Only 32 bit EVE for 32 bit OS.

2 Likes

:thinking: hmm yes I think I can do that…

:grin:

thanks but while it’s true I started exploring my curiosity with 3D after avatar gameplay, a major part of it was wanting to go beyond the CQ door. Shutting down CQ and even removing avatars would be more of the same vacuum of content that motivated me to begin with.

At this point I’ve learned how to re-create 3D characters and my avatars and their personalities are with me, and not stuck in EVE. Also as someone who understands a bit about the work that goes into something like CQ, I’m forced to be more realistic about my expectations and what I believe is practical for a game company in this situation.

I’m not a blind fanboy, and I’m more curious than anything.

1 Like

With CQ now dead what is the point for buying clothes and accessories for your avatar…

The whole avatar needs re-designing and more clothers options which at the moment is very poor if you compare it to The Sims…

3 Likes

In all honesty, it won’t be more than a few years ( less than 10, I’m sure ) before 128bit OS’s and games start rearing their heads. As more and more games break new ground on graphics and physics realism, and especially if VR wants any sort of chance to become mainstream, even 64bit won’t be able to handle it regardless of how much ram you can throw at it ( 64 bit can handle 16 exabytes of ram, but the ram is not the issue here ) because the 64 bit processors themselves will be the bottleneck. And yes, there are 128 bit cpu’s, Intel has had them for years.

What is the point? Not much. You can make pretty portrait pictures and that is it.

2 Likes