Devblog: Skills On Demand - Changes Coming To The Skill System!

Well, I’m interested in the idea to make the new game experience a little better and basic skills that aren’t given out in the entry missions and such (or if you skip the entry cashflow for capsuleers missions) those make good candidates for being able to be bought through the character sheet. If the idea is ‘core’ skills should be easily available to anyone/anywhere. However, more advanced skills should definitely remain as the current system works. You gotta fly to where you can buy one and inject it.
The rank of the skill should determine if you can buy it through the character sheet.
Anything rank 3 or below would probably work fine for helping new players get ‘core’ skills and not destroy the skill book resale market or make it way too easy for SOV players to stay out under their super umbrellas and get every skill they need with no risk.
Hoping CCP figures this out.

Shame, shame and more shame.
All the problems of newcomers-yammerers, would be perfectly solved by a good tutorial system.

Developers, have you ever seen your “good tutorials”?

Three weeks ago, my Wife (real miracle!) asked me to show her this game and explain how to play it. We registered an Alpha account for her and started to go through the tutorial. It is so not clear, so confused, many key points, for solving the tutorial-task are not explained or explained without taking into account the “pitfalls” in the form of situations, interface settings, level of preparedness and attentiveness of newcomer (!).
A million years ago you promised to make a good tutorial. Where is he?
I had to explain to my wife how to go through the tutorial and what the “aura” meant in it, where are the buttons to press. If it were not for my efforts, the tutorial would scare her off and I would not see so much joy, enthusiasm and delight in playing on her face.

And the problem is not in the books. On the contrary, my wife was happy when, under my strict guidance, she rode for another batch of books on turrets, rockets, ships. For her, every purchase of basic books is a joy and achievement.

Secondly: I believe that facilitating the gameplay and discarding unique mechanics from it for the sake of simplifying the whiners’ life, can lead the entire game project to collapse.

P.S.
I’m not even talking about the approach to localization into Russian, localization is terrible, hard to read and introduces a strong mutual misunderstanding between the players of the English version, the players of the Russian version and the “old guard” of Russian-speaking players who started from the English version.

Regarding the improvement of the tutorial, I have a lot of all sorts of thoughts, and if this is really necessary, then I can describe my vision of a normal tutorial in a kind of technical task, spend a bit of my time for this.

4 Likes

@Brisc_Rubal so if the game has moved beyond that for skillbooks for new players what else has it moved beyond. I read above that some people talk about the attributes and slow time it takes to get skills is a brick wall that they hit. Perhaps the whole thing around skills and attributes is something that needs to be looked for.

I dont sell skill books so I dont actually care that much about this change, but it does seem pointless and potentially negating an interaction point that was there before, a better NPE could have addressed the issues. And whilst it has been mentioned that people can still go buy those skills if they want to most people wont because of the instant gratification of a button to buy them from.

Is this how the game is going, instant gratification… we’ve already had skill injectors so you can buy your way into a skill, what is next on the roadmap?

In my oppinion, Eve never been fair or tried to be.
This is exactly what devides Eve from other games.
In my Oppinion the way to more “pay to win” or in this case “pay to skill” is the wrong way.
Better improve support and fix long known bugs.

The roadmap is eve becoming battle royale. No need to get skills trained upo. Just buy all your skills, ammo, modules, ships, skins from the character sheet and enter space to fight all the other … well, who exactly will be left there?

You are correct. All you need to know is that Goonswarm Federation has only the best interest in the game at heart, and that we should be relied upon as the role models and moral compass of Eve Online: A Space-themed Spreadsheet.

2 Likes

What will this mean for trading skill books? This is actually a main income source for me.

Except there’s really no choice there at all. You might put off the learning skills for 1-2 skill levels, early on, but they were really a ‘must-have’ within your first month of playing.

Except for the part that you couldn’t inject Learning Skills because they went away years before skill injection became possible.

And if you only took your learning skills to Level 4, you were doing it wrong.

Said about literally every change to EVE, ever.

Why travel? Jump freighter services bring them to us.

Nope, you already had your GRRGONS pointed out hours before that. And you’re still refusing to back up your claims.

Still waiting for you to answer the question, too.

best way for botter to reengage faster…
or if monitoring the pattern of certain skillbook use… to fight them…
but i doubt of this and some ppl in a certain place would be extremly happy of this change!

Because losing your ratting ship costs you skills now? What?

I hear that bots also have to log in after downtime. Clearly, we should remove logging in!

Your logic is dumb, and you should feel dumb.

1 Like

It is time that to learn something I don’t have to visit book store and can do it as Neo.

One more thing, since CCP is already messing up with skillbooks and skills, can you ad an option to remove skill from my character, not just to reduce SP in skills to 0, but remove skillbook completely. Personally I don’t care about refund of the skillbook price or lost SP. Just let me remove that mining and industry skills you gave me from the beginning.

Thank you.

Exactly … like with some UI changes/tooltips and other “simplifying” thingys…
If You are to stupid to buy a **SKILL**book and travel 2 jumps… you prolly shouldn#t play EvE…

:woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming:

As the player run skillbook market is small, this is an…… okay change. Simplification of the market in general is a bad idea, besides basic UI upgrades.

I’m all for new players feeling welcome to Eve. If they cant get by the learning curve though, I don’t think they will make it as regulars in Eve anyway. Finding skillbooks seems like a small task in the vastness of the Eve universe. To much simplification will just drive away some of the regulars Eve does have.

It’s been a long time since I have done the into missions in Eve. Have they been upgraded to help new players? If not, this is where the focus should be. Add some more market missions. advance the tooltips. Anything like that before making changes that effect all players.

There’s been something like 3 different iterations of the New Player Experience in the last 4 years, so that’s an area that’s being worked on.

Remember: different teams. The guys doing this change aren’t the people who work on things like the NPE, missions, etc.

And if it manipulates downwards you still have your percentage of CCP ISK sink above that cost – If someone is willing to give books away in Jita/Amarr at a significant loss I don’t see how that is a poor outcome. The whole premise, stated here, was to have the markup be to keep the “skill book markup business viable” as long as the markup is added to whatever the price is in Jita/Amarr is currently the skill book markup business is as viable as the market allows.

Hallelujah

Can ccp make things easier and just allow us to buy anything anywhere and have it instantly transferred to any station we want? To much work making all these jumps

1 Like

Golly gee willikers, this slope sure is slippery!

1 Like

Traveling to stations is too confusing for new players, and is not engaging gameplay. To remedy this, there is now a button on the map that teleports you to your station of choice for a reasonable fee. No need to waste time flying your spaceship, jump straight into some hot station action with your fellow traders!

-CCP Nightelf

1 Like