Devblog: Skills On Demand - Changes Coming To The Skill System!

The in-space purchase pop-up window dealie was already used twice before: from the abyssal loot cans (pre-blowing them up) starting with the August 2018 Abyssal event and from the ore/ice refining rig and the gas refining rig in the west/east rooms of the Permafrost/Frostline winter event in December 2018/January 2019.

You put in red loot (survey DB) in the Abyssal ones, you put in the unrefined ore/ice or gas in the Permafrost ones… you put the event minerals + tickets + ISK in the Guardian’s Gala III ones. So really, the introduction of ISK was the only major change this time around, and I hope it’s not a sign of further developments.

(cut to June 2020… we must put 100 mil ISK + 100 plex + various event items into the exchange pop-up window during the latest event…)

1 Like

Very interesting post about your own person new player experience, thanks for sharing that with us. It was 6 years for me now and while I still remember being new, it’s distant enough (and the NPE was different enough back then pre-drifter-fancy-missions and opportunities) to need some reminders.

One note, though: While modules, ships, drones, ammo, etc. can indeed be very marked up at school systems, especially the 12 rookie systems and 12 career systems, generally skillbooks are more likely to be a ripoff at trade hubs, not at the school systems.

Most skillbooks at the rookie stations are going to be for sale from NPC sell orders (easy to tell due to round numbers on the ISK amounts and times greater than 90 days, the max humans can sell things for)… if you were buying inflated skillbooks at the rookie stations, they must have been the “non-core” ones that CCP isn’t including with this new system. Or else you were buying remotely from a trade hub and didn’t notice.

The place where people get gouged on skillbooks is at Jita/Amarr/Dodi/etc. because they’re too lazy to fly 2-3 jumps to get them from a school station or don’t know any better (whether new or vet).

But I agree completely that the NPE needs to have more instruction about how to deal with NPC vs. PC market orders and where the trade hubs are (maybe even give people bookmarks to all 5 trade hub NPC stations when they’re born? or at least get Aura to mention the systems/specific stations)… and I think they should also mention the 90 day thing I just did, as it’s not immediately obvious/intuitive to anyone.

2 Likes

Yeah, but I think the source of the confusion for many is that there clearly is a difference (to the pilot, at least, if not to CCP) between say trying to train Command Ships 1 now when you had all the pre-reqs for it to be trained back before Odyssey in 2013… but not having the post-Odyssey reqs completed…

vs. trying to train Command Ships 5 now when you had trained Command Ships 4 pre-May 2013 in the above example with all the rest being equal.

Yep. It is a confusion especially if you took time off and missed the dev blog about the changes since then. But the system has to work that way if they allow you to inject a skill before you can train it.

Requesting option to directly gift skillbooks to another player. Bypass sending ISK or a tradeable book, let me remotely add the book direct to their brain. The 30% surcharge would be included.

2 Likes

That would be to troll the OCD players who begged to have certain skills completely removed from their heads?

2 Likes

I always thought that was part of the fun and excitement of learning a new skill…going out and getting the skill book. i agree, this is not a good change.

while we’re at it, let’s give new people god-mode for 2 weeks. we can give them ships that are useful and actually do things when they’re born. i mean, c’mon, you’re taking all the fun away AND you are taking an experience that the new people NEED.

2 Likes

so you deny that person the responsibility and learning part of checking their inventory and their skill levels and making sure they use their money wisely?

1 Like

I had a LVL 4 Hyperion that used web routinely.

You are getting your wish.

• Added the ability to purchase all core skills directly from the character sheet for a 30% markup on seeded prices.

This may be too high: If I was educating new players I would have to explain how this feature adds another complication to EVE: “if you want to save ISK, you should go to an NPC station that has the skill for sale.” The designers may be OK with that, because EVE is full of trade-off decisions like this.

(But it brings out the old bitter-vet feelings; I don’t talk to new players nearly as much as I used to, BECAUSE it takes so many hours to do it properly, and this feature adds one more item to the pile.)

2 Likes

Idk if you ever were a new player but back in 2007 when I started i was flying a couple jumps for skills many times a day. It was exciting to do the jumps and try and grab all the skills I thought I’d need but I’d rather have just been able to pop them in remotely. New guys don’t know what they’ll need usually and end up finding out by finding new modules and switching their training a thousand times. I don’t think anyone comes on eve fresh clone and starts training level Vs.

The new player remark at the start wasn’t meant to be a jab it’s just entirely possible to study eve out of game and buy some plex and create a training plan before even logging in. This is just, at least from what I’ve seen, a lot less common than people logging in for the first time and training a bunch of random things that catch their eye.

2 Likes

why the 30% upcharge if you use the new feature? Your still not buying them from another player.

1 Like

convenience

Okay, but that is the system now. To keep it easy for everyone.

To allow for player traders to still have a margin to buy books, move them and sell them somewhere else for a profit. Be glad it’s only 30%, I was expecting at least 100%.

I’m holding out on buying skills to see how cool this change is

What a terrible change.

Why not simply introduce a teleport button in the Neocom, which lets the player jump from station to station, never undocking.

And maybe an NPC courier service that delivers any purchased items directly to your personal hangar!

Why do you want people not to actually play this terrible game? Do you really think new players can’t deal with having to use the game’s features to progress? What the ■■■■ is this?

4 Likes

Well a player trader needs to hold the money to buy the books in advance, transport them to the target system with a risk of being ganked, put them for sale against competition, has to pay tax and broker fees.

Also books are not fast moving, you need to hold them for a while to sell them.

30% upper limit is a joke for these items. Book market is broken now.

2 Likes

Maybe for core skills it is. Remember this only is core skills though, which tend not to be expensive to start with. There is still plenty of room for all the skills this doesn’t apply to.
Though like I said I expected more room for player trade also.