Devblog: Skills On Demand - Changes Coming To The Skill System!

I have never seen a list of “core” skills.

Btw. skill book trading was a good method for new chars or alphas to acquire some decent money to buy some reasonable ships before going out roaming.

This has been gone now.

2 Likes

But the recent price changes gave some unexpected opportunities.
There were guys which dumped some skills (in the 100th) below NPC buy price.
Now the prices have been raised significantly…I was able to buy a lot of skillbooks very below the current new NPC price.

2 Likes

It’s not the only difference obviously, but it makes EVE one step closer to WOW. Blizzard made a lot of steps of this kind. Dungeon Finder option is a good example.

3 Likes

Do you want a tilde key in EVE?

Yes.

Players will buy almost all cheap skillbooks by using the new method, while all expensive ones will be acquired from NPC characters or other players, depending who’s closer and what is cheaper. This change opens nice options for patch speculations again for those who have hundreds of billions of ISK to invest and sink somewhere, especially if prices on Capital usage skillbooks will increase by 20-30%.

1 Like

Taking one step closer to WOW from EVE is like taking one step closer to the North Pole from Antarctica.

… similar phrases contain a broad meaning.

“That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.”

– Neil Armstrong

1 Like

does anyone have a list yet of what these “core” skills are?

1 Like

I think this is a bad update… Like, when I first started playing, I bought a skill book that is 10k cheaper than regular price and it made me so happy. I know 10k doesn’t sound much but I think that it’s the little things that makes the newbies happy. This would reduce the chance of newbies encountering the similar experience that I had.
I personally think that adding a tutorial about buying skills and mentioning how they might get a discount if they do “this or that” would be better.
Or maybe a better tutorial about how the market works would be better…

2 Likes

There are simply too many hidden features and ways to scam on the market to reasonably cover it in a tutorial alongside all the other things people need to learn.
Also this in no way stops anyone finding cheaper skill books. If they can be bothered searching they can find them.

IF (and this is not a given) it’s such a terrible game… Why are you bothering to login and post on the forums for it?

Frankly, I’ve been here since 2007, and I don’t see any problem with this change.

Advise them that they are acting counter to their own interests then. I am not talking about the skill system changes either.

1 Like

All new characters are created with basic skills so I really don’t see the point of this. Its just dumbing down. I suspect pearl abyss wants to remove player to player and have fixed prices for everything.

1 Like

We don’t want the need to travel to gather skills posing a barrier to training and we want to ensure that pilots spend less time obtaining skills to train.

Travel is a barrier to finding pvp, pve and doing industry, why should training skills be any different? Every new character already starts with a long list of basic skills so why is it necessary to add skills on demand?
https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Starting_Skills

If enough people complain about going to jita will you add ships on demand too?

3 Likes

I’ve heard no evidence of this, not even through back channels.

You’re tinfoiling, I’m afraid.

This would wreck the game period. I can’t see anyone thinking any differently.

1 Like

What’s next?
Should we expect the appearance of such mechanic as:

• insta buying every game item from charactersheet in every dock?
  • insta warping from dock to dock without need of undocking?
    Or game designers flight of thoughts will stop just on:
  • insta buyng skills from site with $
  • insta buy-and-fit ships from site with $

I just wonder, what is the psychological or cognitive barrier for the beginner in understanding the mechanics [“need skill - go and buy a book”]?

I have a child of 12 years - it took him about 20 seconds to understood this mechanics, and nothing confused him. Do you see your target audience as a tribe of monkeys, that can’t even open market tool or fly some jumps to trade hub or university?

7 Likes

Well… Brisk already pointed that this change is mainly geared towards wormholers and nullseccers and has nothing with new players. New players are used as cannon fodder here.

2 Likes

I’ve used this mechanic and liked it. I don’t do a lot of PVP but been meaning to try. It made filling in the gaps on a recommended fleet fit faster and easier, especially given a new or kinda-new character.

Sure, I didn’t have to play Errand Simulator to get that little skill library, but I am so unworried about how sad someone is that I could order it from Evemazon instead.

Sellers might consider offering better delivery options as part of gameplay–an emergent mechanic, if you will. Or is buzzing around for cheap little stuff not fun?

2 Likes

I was under the impression that this was ‘core skills’ only - has that been changed since the original devblog? Because it doesn’t seem that there is a limit currently on the skills that can be bought - including capital skills.

1 Like