[Discussion] Community Safety in EVE Online

Okay, I am confused, who did we upset this time?

1 Like

The :snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake:

:wink: :dealwithitparrot: :innocent:

4 Likes

Someone who thinks that other people should add more of substance to the thread/forums in general.

Not them, ofc.

Other people.

2 Likes

Off topic:
Do you know how long ago It was since Iā€™ve seen this lol, its easy for memories to change a lil.

On topic:
I think people are pretty safe in eve, most people need to just learn to walk away from toxic people

4 Likes

It really is a game of cat and mouse.
Neighbourhoods police themselves.
Tyrants school slaves at will.

Community is communism, the experiment never ends (well).

You donā€™t have to remember it just look at the gif and the size of the younger catā€¦ let alone the fact it looks like a cat in the first place. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Apparently its not about harassment in game anyway.

Its whether CCP are allowed to take action against the account of someone for something outside of the game.

Some people think CCP shouldnt have the right to ban people from their server for crimes committed outside the server.

Others think that its CCPs right as a private company to do what it wants.

Including letting naughty words stay active in game because they havent done the crime in game.

1 Like

good old ā€œpicture or didnā€™t happenā€ mentality

Hate to break it to you sport, but CCP can ban you for any reason they want, including no reason. Thatā€™s the beauty of being a private company. ā€œWe reserve the right to refuse service.ā€ isnā€™t just for greasy diners and Wal-Mart.

2 Likes

So youā€™re saying that because they didnā€™t do something right away, that means they donā€™t care? They have no other petitions to deal with at the moment but yours?

Take heed CCP: If you adopt the DIE ideology, you will be expected to enforce it instantly and to the satisfaction of the petitioners, or they will just complain and accuse you of being posers.

Maybe they could hire an entire cadre of ā€œdiversity consultantsā€ to train an army of GMs just to police what players are allowed to talk about. In fact, maybe these GMs should collectively and actively monitor every single chat channel in the game, and get an automated alert and highlight anytime someone says something naughty - such as the word ā€œmomā€ instead of ā€œbirthing parentā€.

That is such a wonderful vision for the future. I canā€™t wait to see how EVE Online ā€œEVOLVESā€.

(post deleted by authorities)

1 Like

I think we have to ask ourselves is either extreme an option, look at Rome as an example when thingā€™s got too politically correct everything ground to a halt and nothing ever got done, forcing them to use dictators to speed things up again in times of emergency.

If things are set at the right balance to begin with neither extreme is needed. HTFU has merit and belongā€™s in Eve but mixed with a friendly competitive spirt and not one of malice.

The avg age of Eve players is somewhere in the 30ā€™s this needs to be taken into account. Especially considering who CCP just hired, if the narratives turn into a kindergarden class things are going to get ugly quickly. But letā€™s see how things pan out.

2 Likes

Not seen that before. You can expect a raid on your hanger, they after you.

1 Like

I firmly believe CCP is powerless to ban people over things that happen in private discords/reddits and everything in between that is outside of CCPā€™s official areas.

If someone did something horrible out of game, make it so all the public can see and shame him. His character should be effectively ruined.

Then it comes down to internet smarts and having expectations for THE INTERNETā€¦ Is it easy enough to say, ā€œDonā€™t let a random strangers words get to you?ā€ We have block features here and so on. Am I simplifying this too much? I really donā€™t know. I donā€™t let the comments of one random stranger get to me on a personal level at all.

2 Likes

All I know is when I call Mxxxxxx a pxxxx I get a warning.

1 Like

Better a warning than a banning. As a matter of interest, how many warnings to a banning? Can you remove warnings by killing rats?

2 warnings seem logical.

@Uriel_the_Flame & @ResonanceOfWar

1 Like

And you will never know what we were talking aboutā€¦ ever. :smirk:

:smiling_imp: :popcorn: :dealwithitparrot:

1 Like