[Discussion] PLEX and Omega price changes feedback thread

Where can I see CCP Quarterly financial posts?

You’re looking for the pdfs from each call, and then look at the revenue breakdown by IP (since CCP doesn’t really have any other IP on the market).

From there, you can check the company-wide breakdown for operating expenses and extrapolate a bit (as of 2018, they had 250 employees, for example1) to work out a rough idea of the breakdown.

1. 2018, of course, was the year they slashed payroll in order to get the company as lean as possible for acquisition, as well as the year @CCP_Guard left the company (but if you’re reading, we totally still love you and miss you, Sveinny!), so if that number is post-cutbacks, they’ve definitely expanded since then. And remember, they said something about 40-60% of the company hadn’t been around for the last FF in 2018.

1 Like

PA Annual and quarterly reports

I found the reports, read them. EvE has been carrying PA’s water for them. Inflation is not the cause of cost increases, failed or failing PA IPs are. I found 6 profit making quarters across 2020, & 2021.

When I say profitable PA covered all corporate costs, salaries and BONUSES and still had money to post a profit on. This does not appear to be possible without EvE online doing the heavy lifting.

Thanks for pointing out the info it helped me decide what to do regarding EvE Omega time.

2 Likes

So did the russian leaving temporarily hurt their profit? Are they using EvE to finance other shitty projects or just milking it dry till it crashes?

3 Likes

The Russians being blocked from paying definitely hurt their profits.

Considering literally the only thing Hilmar announced during the Opening Ceremonies was ‘a still unannounced shooter’ (Seriously, he announced that it was unannounced. :roll_eyes: )… yes.

Maybe.

Hello everyone,

Following this debate within the framework of the announcement by CCP of an inflation of +33%, I therefore personally opted for option 2- and I wish to share with you, after a week of very miscellaneous, my experience of restructuring my PVE expert OMEGA clone into an ALPHA clone.

Observation n°1: I first set myself an objective, because this restructuring must be taken as a game in its own right; you have to know how to have fun in such a situation, which is my case: I therefore opted for a conversion of my 100% Gallente character, towards a character with the same name but 100% Mordu,

Observation n°2: it is a question here of restructuring its equipment, its ships and its skills so that one can continue to benefit from New Eden on the basis of its own assets already financed by its investments previous (both in time and in real money due to past subscriptions, which in my case already represents a few thousand euros over 19 years - you’re welcome CCP),

Observation n°3: in order to be more efficient, I first grouped together all my equipment and ships in high-sec close to the Dodixie market, while remaining 17 jumps from the Jita market; this exercise necessarily requires round trips to Jita in any case due in particular to manipulations of extraction/injection or sale of skill points, the Dodixie market not being optimal on this point; it is safer to do this on Jita,

Observation n°4: in order to be more careful, I have also prepared an Excel spreadsheet allowing me to plan the operation as cleanly as possible, all in order to guarantee me an optimal return on my returns on past investments; it is necessary to limit the losses to the maximum knowing that there will necessarily be some anyway due to lack of time,

Observation n°5: finally, in order to be everywhere at once and to sell with the least possible losses, I used New Eden’s online trading database: EVE Tycoon there is no better to my knowledge, knowing that you have to know how to seize in real time, the slightest sales opportunities for the best return,

Observation n°6: from there, you have to proceed with the thousands of mouse clicks without ever shaking, and you have to proceed without ever stopping while unrolling your planning properly,

Observation n°7: for a character whose assets represented approximately 20 billion ISK before the operation, my losses are therefore around 20%, in other words, my character 100% Mordu ALPHA oriented PVE weighs on its own 16 billion ISK of new assets today; the operations of extraction/injection of skills also lead to losses of 20% (of 500,000 points extracted against 400,000 points reinjected), having always taken care never to proceed with reinjections as long as the character remains above the threshold of 50 million skill points in all - you have to know how to wait, extract massively as planned, then only then reinject; this rate of 20% is therefore an incompressible rate of loss of both skills and equipment,

Observation n°8: the manipulation of skills is also an opportunity to sort things out; due to CCP’s constant manipulation of the rules of the game (their decades of cheating), you have no idea as a player how many skills have been learned in the past and have become completely obsolete over the years; this restructuring of the character is therefore the occasion for a major cleaning; today, my character 100% Mordu ALPHA oriented PVE starts again on a solid base of 37 million skill points, which is more than enough,

Observation n°9: and the funny thing is that at the end of the story, we are again virtually rich; enough to find a smile and have fun again in New Eden!

To hell with the new CCP rules! To hell with this OMEGA at +33%!

For me, the hour of the revolution of the ALPHA player characters called PJ has come! And it is indeed CCP who provoked it!

We will never be your cash cows!

Try To Fly Safe Again.

Ully Loom

1 Like

Ok.

Fanfest has come and gone.
Content features were announced. Some good. Some bad. ALL of them with a healthy slathering of CCP branded SOON™

And yes, I’ve been playing long enough to remember that EVE meme.

With that in hand:

What has gone up:

1. Staff wages. Fair enough.
  2. Energy and hosting costs. Fair enough.
  3. I’m sure that Pearl Abyss wants a bigger slice of the pie. Fair enough as lord and masters of CCP.
  4. Compute power per $ has also gone up, along with computer power per watt.
  5. The efficiency of the code that is EVE has been increased. Most of the original obsolete code has been gone through and brought up to 64bit and better efficiency.

So, on the surface, EVE should be cheaper to run and host than it ever has been before, especially if CCP has been “paying as they go” for hosting and maintenance.

And no mention of any sort of discount for people that have multiple characters in EVE. Remember that players ARE content for an MMORPG. So, the people mining, making stuff, etc… are basically paying for the privilege of being what an NPC would be on another game.

So, hate on multiboxers all you want. As long as they are not botting, they add content AND help subsidize the game. Either through hard cash OR burning PLEX and holding up the floor on that currency.

Yea. Losing the Russian revenue sucks. Figure out what load the russian player base actually put on the servers and start darking part of the cluster to offset costs to match compute demand on a short term basis.

With all of this in mind, and the depth of Pearl Abyss’ pocketbooks, throwing out an up to 30% price increase for content that is coming SOON™ is a bit crass.

Sure. Drop a modest price increase to cover the increases in the hard costs of doing business. But save the big price hop for when content gets dropped. I’ve been around for “Walking in Stations” which was coming SOON™ and a host of other coming SOON™ features. I was there for $80 monocles, which were put into place to keep the sub prices at $15 per month.

Pearl Abyss is there to front capital for content creation and development. That is what parent companies are for.

Given how things have worked in the past, I can understand the salt when CCP asks for money in advance and promises to deliver down the road. That hasn’t been their strongest suit and certainly something that they shouldn’t ask players to bank on.

Will I quit EVE over this?

Nope. Sorry, you can’t have my stuff.

Will I be changing the subs on my characters to get me through the next year at the old rate? Yeppers. I was going to do that anyways. Well, I will be dropping one character. So 6 down to 5 and I’ll jam them into 1 year subs at the old rate. That will give CCP another year to see if they can translate SOON™ into actual content and get my primary character to the 20 year fanfest.

I figure I’ll go to that event, celebrate what was EVE and either commit to being in EVE during the third Decade or end fanfest, sit at the base of the EVE statue with my laptop and Concord my stuff at Jita 4.4 as a shining end point of my time in EVE. (No. You still can’t have my stuff. Eat my ashes if that gets you stiff…)

7 Likes

Ok amigo.

Money talks. I just paid the year subs for the five out of six characters that will remained subbed.

$657us pesos directly payable to CCP / Pearl Abyss effective immediately.

I then shut off the renewals.

Y’all have a year plus a bit (Some expired in a day, some accounts at the beginning of next month) to earn the renewals by taking CCP branded SOON™ and turning it into:

1. The promised product or visible and measurable progress towards the promised content.
  2. Some flavor of bulk / multiple character discounts.

Best of luck. May the CCP of 2022 be better at delivering SOON™ flavored content at promised at FanFest than the CCP of 2010 was at delivering SOON™ flavored content.

Some of us were here in May of 2011 and we remember how well getting really greedy goes for y’all. Most everybody that I loved playing with left then.

1 Like

I did the same thing, but only for six months. Come December we should be able to see how the story arc and fourth quarter expansion turned out. That will be enough for me to decide.

mine as on a fixed income. i do 1 every month for 3 months so each month i’ll let 1 drop. I’ve seen nothing I really like or have liked in the last 2 years. I’m way older but the game gave me a job guess I’ll have to take atv out and start rock hounding

I WAS going to set it up to where I had an account renewing on a 1 year plan every two months.

So, CCP got everything 5/6’s of the subscription fees that I was planning on spending on EVE for the next 12 months in one fell swoop.

But it cost them that 6th account’s revenue… Which puts them at $40ish US pesos less revenue per year from me IF they can deliver SOON™.

Maybe something that the focus groups missed when they were doing the numbers is that I would have kept contributing to EVE while rarely playing because I loved the concept of EVE as a thing and not necessarily a form of entertainment.

My EVE playstyle for years has been log in to collect the rewards, update the skill queue as needed and play a few hours every few months. My load on the servers (and incremental costs) can be reasonably hosted on a mobile phone processor Most of the people that I played with quit the game in May of 2011.

But EVE as a concept… A place… A Universe was worth the reoccurring costs as long as I could afford them.

Even after they sold WOD
Even after they sold out to Pearl Abyss.

But then they slammed down a 30% price increase and that was a big enough jump to make me pull out a calculator and actually figure out what I was spending…

Whoops.

The story of putting a frog in water and slowly turning up the heat thereby boiling it alive is an urban legend in that it only works when you remove the frog’s brain beforehand.

But had CCP had been a bit smarter, they could have slipped in a $1.00 per month bump and I would have been a happy brainless EVE frog and they would have gotten another $72 a year from me. Now they are $40 down on revenue AND have drawn a line in the sand where they HAVE to perform to get back some or all
of the subscriptions and HAVE to create something that I fund as entertainment, not just as a vessel of fond memories.

And the 6th account? That was the one I got for my son so his name would be on the EVE statue so if I managed to loop him into the game, he would be “he” . Zero server load. And now zero revenue and damn near zero chance of him being part of the next generation of EVE player…

Whoops again.

2 Likes

very interesting

Hello everyone,

And kudos to @Ubi_Dellmar ; what a pretty proof of integrity that is!

Thus are emerging the first strategies of each other in response to this unjustified announcement of a +33% increase:

1- Definitive defection from Eve Online,

2- Reduction of the number of accounts per player,

3- Degradation of OMEGA clones into ALPHA clones (my choice)…

In any case, we veterans do indeed remember 2011 and its sad consequences very well!

Personally, I also and above all remember the words of Eve senior producer, Arnar Hrafn Gylfason, who said this in particular to the press:

“In the months leading up to Incarna, we failed to properly acknowledge the sentiment of the community and I think that’s a lesson we’ve learned extremely hard, […] hopefully a mistake we’re never going to make again.”

And it’s always here for the record, especially for the porous memory of all those who, here as elsewhere, only permanently know how to denigrate the words of dissatisfied players, but never those of CCP:

Q. What remains of all his relevant analyzes dating back to 2011, in the minds of the current Staff of CCP, if it is absolutely nothing with regard to the latest cosmetic updates?!

But the worst thing is that on the side of CCP, we always seem so proud and condescending to know how to evade all the real problems that have always been raised by all the players, whether very recently in the context of hollow Fanfest announcements 2022, or even here within the framework of the exchanges of this forum.

EvE Online is no longer the persistent world it once was! It has become over the years nothing but a real milking machine, and this with the blessing of the sacrosanct CSM who literally goes to bed!

We will never be your cash cows,
We are simply your customers…

New Eden must therefore above all find its child’s soul. I remember as if it were yesterday these first moments of 2003, when I discovered with my friends, the infinite universe of New Eden. We were pioneers. I have also carefully kept the unique CD box set for the launch of the first version of the game! And I still have this collector’s version of EvE CONQUESTS, the sublime and epic board version of EvE Online, which young players probably don’t know!

Hilmar! Please ! Make us dream again and stop thinking numbers! I said how you should go about it…

New Eden needs balance!

Try To Fly Safe Again.

Ully Loom

5 Likes

Honestly all the arguments I see are based around paying the 20$ for EVE

What about paying 11$ for a 2-year sub? What’s your take on that?

Other than that many agree people want new content for the money they pay for. But if you know you will be in EVE for at least 2 years take that monthly discount and save money?

1 Like

Glad to know you have that much cash just laying around, but don’t assume everyone does or can spend it on a game.

4 Likes

Alpha and occassional Omega with PLEX should fix that for you, whilst you fix your economic issues.

Savvy shopper uses offers or perhaps negociate a bulk deal with a lot of players?

1 Like

Interesting. Eve and your stuff IS the NFT. When I reflect a bit on how I feel about it, I guess I’m that way a bit.

The Christmas season deals are what rope me in.

I get that but just me being a great shopper. Gotta work the budget sometimes. Plex for a few months. Save that 20$ a month and I am quite sure many will have saved the $$$ to buy bulk omega.

If you can afford the base 20$ a month then I believe a person will have the means and the consumer smarts to save up $279.99 at $11.29 a month. It appears to be a great discount over 2 years! And if people are so concerned about monthly subscriptions, they should take this nice discount CCP is offering now to offset their price increases.
Many people buy in bulk! Many people look for those sales I personally took advantage of when CCP discounted omega to 425 plex.

Possibly I believe is they think they don’t have the faith to play EVE for 2 years myself. Seems reasonable myself if people consider this to be in their entertainment budgets.

EVE can really be a nice guide on how to responsibly work towards a goal every month and having extra ISK to do fun things.

With the game randomly changing every 2 months and the risk of CCP wrecking your gameplay for no reason other than ‘the goons dont like it’ paying 2 years in advance seems like a pretty huge leap of faith. They alreaydy ruined my gameplay for sure and i dont want to give them anything until they repair the damage done, i know they wont but i can dream.

13 Likes