[Discussion] PLEX and Omega price changes feedback thread

Why not introduce cosmetic items instead of raising the subscription fee? Players have been asking for custom skins for a long time now. Inappropriate skins can be identified by players reports and are then just quickly filtered by a ccp employee (or someone who could be outsourced for probably less).
Walking in stations would also be a viable option for this. It gives people more reason to buy cosmetics for their character(s) as well. If you tied these purchases to plex, then I’m willing to bet that you would be able to make more money this way as well.

Since this is going to be ignored on Reddit and Twitter, I’ll ask here and I can get the trifecta of ignores!

The announcement says that the new price of Omega “will include all future content”. This strongly points to CCP is moving towards paid content, at a time where there has been several years of no new, innovative content (at least from what I have read since coming back three days ago). What incentive, therefore, is there for people to continue to play the game when you guys seemingly can’t do actual content updates even every six months, and pay you MORE money to do so?

2 Likes

Damn, I’ve been paying for 2 accounts to support CCP for around 3-4 years and NEVER plexed a single one. I guess I will get to other games even tho it is my favourite game or just continue Alpha doing shitty stuff. Will have to rethink what to do here but I hell ain’t paying 40€. Shame on you.

1 Like

You really think they arent going to spam you further?
discount spam is a marketing tool, it will always be used.
The prices for everything have increased a lot.
Oh it’s great if you are single and have disposible income but if you are a teen or have actual bills,
20.00 US is a lot of money, and that is if you just have One account.

Forgive me if I sound muddled, but in post-covid recovery mode ATM…

If 100% of your playerbase generates a total revenue of 100 somethings, then a 100% player retention with the 33% increase would generate a total of 133 somethings. But, should you then lose 25% of your playerbase at the increased rate, your revenue from this stream would be 133*0.75, or 99.75. Which is 0.25% less than you started with.

And please, forgive me if I sound like a pedant :slight_smile:

I expect many would love to see the increase as peanuts. I happen to know a few players where $14.95/mo is a stretch.

Since Pearl Abyss purchased EvE, content development priority has shifted more towards a corporate model vs the original independent model. It was easy to see by the cycle of ‘Sales’ for Omega, plex and packs a shift towards increasing revenue. This increase is simply more of the same. Pearl Abyss is leveraging EvE as a profit center plain and simple.

Just noticed: 15% off on montlhy with plex - 425 plex per month. Also, the 30% 1-month sub still goes. Pretty decent attitude when announcing price increases, I dare say.

Well whoever is running this game now . Really does not know economics. Ya screw up the game lose alot of people then raise the price to the people remaining. And this is what you get another 25% drop in players. The last year has been Terrible for changes, someone or whoever is calling the shots needs to be fired not given a raise

No, that’s been going on since Seagull left, which was well before the PA acquisition. Seagull went out on maternity leave, Hilmar took over as ‘acting’ executive producer, and that’s when the change in priorities happened.

4 Likes

You don’t know about marketing strategy.

This price change heralds a bold, and vast in scope alteration by CCP. They just skewed their income towards a price increase and the honouring of that value. This is pushing the needle away from the discount spam.

It is the first phase of a winning strategy. Price point the product right. And if your product is a best in category game that has legions of fans that love it, a faulty price obviously will be correct upwards.

If you think about it calmly and correctly you’ll see what I mean. If you cant, just wait for 5 or 6 months and you’ll just realise naturally the game is still worth it, just like everyone else will.

1 Like

I had a hard time justifying my 5 alts at 15 bucks a pop, but with this increase, I simply cant anymore. Ive unsubbed all 5 of my alts, and am leaving only my main subbed. CCP you just lost $1,000 annual revenue from me.

5 Likes

You want $20 now instead of $15. Per account?

I understand you haven’t increased prices yet. Normally, you solve that by making efforts to get more subs. But you haven’t, rather the opposite. It would also be an easier sell if there had been any updates over the last few years. Or if something big was coming soon.

But fair enough, I can accept this. If you completely remove all micro-transactions, alpha accounts, PLEX and skill injectors. Like it was in 2004-2014 when this game was the best game ever made.

Otherwise, after 18+ years in game with so many hours and fun memories, I’ve been struggling to find satisfying content. And motivation. And spirit. And good people to play with. Two years without mining made me want to never do it again, not the opposite, as one might think.

As I’ve considered unsubbing for a while to take a long break, and not even log in for the dailies. this might just push me through, no matter how sad this decline is to me. EVE forever sure, but you can’t live on nostalgia forever. And everything has an end.

4 Likes

I have plenty of money, but it’s because when I look at 8 accounts, I look at value versus cost. You weren’t taught to do a personal cashflow ROI, cool. But quit assuming other people are as dim as you are.
And there are people STRUGGLING right now due to inflation. Maybe this was their escape, but they see CCP being greedy and not valuing them anymore.
And i’ll say again, monetization has always been billed as a way for gaming companies to generate more cashflow while keeping the sub price low and accessible to more players.

If you don’t understand the economics behind it, and scream “bUt fIvE dolLuHs bRuH”, there is no real hope for you.

13 Likes

I get it, there are people out there who can afford to play this game… good for you,
There are people out there who will have to decide, Stop playing, play alpha only or drop multiple accounts, Either way player numbers will go down, of that I am sure.

3 Likes

OK, so you can reduce your accounts from 8 to 5, and you can value the 5 you have left more. Like you should

Its people like you trying to pay penuts for a rediculous 8 account setup that heralds the game is undervalued anyway. I have no sympathy for you, and nor should I. This has benefited you.

Really , come on…

Due political crap we in euro-land already get hit hard by inflation.
( energy , food, … about anything you need to keep breathing ) .

And you decide that this is a good time to attempt to suck down the wallets some more ?
… by 33% ???

3 Likes

Dark Magni,

Its true though. Everyone bemoaning this price point correction is setting their wits and intellect at odds with the business minds behind the best sandbox ever designed and delivered.

You should feel concerned when the smart people in the room are not agreeing with you.

That’s fine. If you’re interested in paying more pay more. But don’t try to convince people that they should be happy with this. Everyone has their own budgets and gets to decide how to spend their money.

When a product’s cost is more than the perceived value of that product, the consumer will walk away. People are stating on this thread just that, that the value isn’t there in this game to justify paying more per month.

You talk about business minds/decisions. That is a solid decision any consumer should make. If they don’t find the value to be there anymore, then they shouldn’t pay for the product.

If it works for you fine, but don’t attack others for making rational budget conscious decisions.

To everyone else,

Personally, a game that hasn’t introduced any meaningful content in years, that has diminished my play time value, that has continuously made decisions that have lessened my enjoyment of the game, isn’t a game that I then find justification in to pay more for. That’s just my opinion. An opinion I will backing up with my wallet.

I suggest to players who are upset with this, don’t just let it roll off your back. Vote with your wallets. Let CCP know we’re not an endless source of free income.

Speak up.

6 Likes

Where is the cost in GBP and Euro?

Guys, see the bright side of things: this means we’ll get 33% more shiny pink ship skins. What’s not to love?

1 Like

I have 5 omega subs and will continue to pay on them. And, I am appreciative that CCP continues to keep EvE alive despite it not exactly being a cash cow.

But, I would like to see some new content for that price. Actual new content, not “rebalancing” to “economic adjustments.”

2 Likes