Divinity Social and Insensitivity

Yup. Totally agree. Know some people did it out of greed, some did it out of boredom, some out of scientific curiosity. In the end, though, we should’ve just stayed the hell out and made them work for their intel.

1 Like

Wow, we all agree!
Life is precious!

Let’s ■■■■! :smiley:

No. And stay away from my girlfriend.

1 Like

Aw. :slight_smile:

Oh, this is fun. I get to be the agreed-upon villain! … oh wait that’s not new. Oh well.

So, quasi-professional filament diver here (it’s where I make nearly all my ISK), recently resumed after shutting down during the invasions.

I mostly agree, or at least don’t strongly disagree, with Arrendis’s account, but have at least one thing to add: the Triglavian Collective actively encouraged filament use, and went so far as to hack CONCORD’s systems punishing tier 4 and 5 filament users by setting them suspect (and therefore fair game for other eggers) upon their return. They also are basically the only people likely to have sponsored the Agency event that arrived at the same time.

Arrendis is correct: they wanted us there. And, they seem to still want us there.

To me, though, that’s not quite reason enough not to go. Sure if I go I’m being studied, but actually I don’t think there’s a lot new they’re likely to be learning (I’ve kinda been there before, you know?). I’m retrieving exotic materials including survey data that CONCORD’s really eager to get, and I have the opportunity to engage the Triglavians and also to interfere with other Abyssal incursions (which … gets messy when it’s CONCORD? Those black ops units don’t seem to have any qualms about attacking me and it doesn’t hurt me with CONCORD though, so … eh?).

For me what flips it, though, is this: there isn’t a lot we’ve managed to do that the Triglavians aren’t apparently fine with. I mean, they try to kill us in various contexts but they don’t seem to hold it against us much. The EDENCOM defense campaign was something they seemed to take slightly more personally, but even then it seems more like they were sorting allies from enemies among capsuleerdom than that they really objected much to those of us who picked “enemy.” They still happily run me through their provings, after.

The question, then, is whether we can come out ahead in the exchange. I’ve run basically the same fit for years now, and … it works? Yay? Probably less efficient than a Sacrilege but I like the extra reach and besides I still have a little sentimental attachment to Caldari ship design? What they have to learn from me they’ve probably mostly learned, but they still consider me an acceptable contestant and they still reward me accordingly.

What I take from them is useful in real and measurable ways (including and even especially against the Triglavians themselves), and some of the resources brought back are the source of most of what we know about the Collective. It’s how we found the world ark and dreadnought construction sites and learned of the Triglavians’ encounters with other entities, along with a lot of what we’ve pieced together about their culture and attitudes (and gods know how much survey data). I believe if we disengage we’ll deny ourselves a key source of intel, intel we badly need to keep flowing if we’re ever going to unweave Pochven.

Admittedly, it’s hard for me to disentangle personal desires from what’s correct, here. The tests the Triglavians set before me are more meaningful than the massacres an experienced combat pilot usually gets tasked with, which bloody, blunt, and rust me at the same time. I’ll admit I relish the challenge. I didn’t get into this work to be an executioner.

But, also …

All during our contacts with them, a consistent theme of Triglavian culture and conduct throughout has been a certain peculiar sense of fair play. It doesn’t work the way we’d normally expect or want it to, but it’s there even so. I doubt they consider it a weakness, but I don’t at all mind using it as one. Few of the other contestants are of a kind we want to see rewarded (probably just one, unless you’re not a fan of CONCORD).

So I’ll play their games, if it means a chance to learn, to grow, perhaps to catch up. To all appearances, they won’t disapprove even if we use that growth to challenge them. But considering how skewed their approval is from our perspective, their approval’s not quite a reason not to do it.

2 Likes

That the first appearance of a Divinity Social advertisement in an Amarr station did not immediately result in the Empress declaring a Holy Crusade against someone is further proof that sedevacantism is true.

That’s a freaking LOT of drama over insignificant part of the offending advertisement.
There’s a lot of unnecessary discussions whether triggies are good or bad (well, I consider them quite bad - but again, it’s irrelevant)!
For the main issue in this perverted and amoral advertisement is NOT triglavian.

But about general promotion of DATING service among people of DIFFERENT bloodlines! That’s a racism! That’s a disrespect to any bloodline (even to same bad(IMHO) Triglavians)! That’s just amoral and indecent! Do you realize that even CHILDREN can see these advertisements, can you allow a children to see that people of different bloodlines are dating each other?! Who will grow from these children? Perverts?? That will damage psyche of a child! That will corrupt young souls!

These advertisements must STOP and those who made them shall take a very harsh punishment for allowing such perversion into public media!

1 Like

No they won’t.

2 Likes

People complaining that the Triglavians are making war, people complaining when they want to make love, could it be possible that people enjoy complaining? :thinking:

4 Likes

Or could it indeed be that ‘war’ and ‘love’ are not meaningful opposites?

3 Likes

And that we just want the Trigs to go the hell away.

1 Like

It was less about the connection between love and war and more about whatever triglavians do or do not

Case in point

If Triglavians want to date New Eden residents and New Eden residents want to date Triglavians (consenting adults of course), why so much fuss about it?

If we look at history there is a tendency to punish those that had intercourse or relationship with the “opponent”, specially females (public display of humiliation, shaving hair, beating naked and such) as usually the males tend to rape.

Let us see how long it takes for the first inter-spacial couple to be displayed in public humiliation, like Anvent Eturrer.

1 Like

I think this marketing campaign has worked, if even capsuleers talk about this now…

2 Likes

Because they’re different bloodlines !! It’s perversion, it’s mongrelization!

Are you not ok with Gallente wanting to mix with Triglavians?

If gallente want to sink into filth and depravity, it’s their life, I don’t care, though I doubt they can get any worse than they’re now. Even same Triglavians are better. In any way, it’s Triglavian and Gallente problems if they want to mud their races, not mine.

What I am not okay with, is that this advertisement is shown outside of the Federation in the civilized areas as well. I am not okay with our citizens being corrupted into filth and depravity, I am against children with pure hearts to see this perversion, this is what I am not okay with.

If idiots want to accept obviously deceptive propaganda from a hostile invasion force that’s forcibly mutating people, why should anyone bother answering their questions?

Really, the ad did strike me as at least a little bit a wry joke?

More, “we’ll help you find your match, no matter who, no matter how far away,” than, “we’ll pair you with Triglavians.”

Granted it’s a little callous but we do live in a society that has within recent memory done sporting events with a body count of many, many thousands, sponsored, if I remember, by Quafe, possibly the least-controversial beverage in the cluster. We seem to live in a kind of hard-hearted society (or cluster of same). In that context, the amused are likely to outnumber the offended by orders of magnitude, and the controversy will increase exposure.

So, practically, it might even be … a really good (that is, effective) ad?

2 Likes

It’s a sign of weakness if you have to shield your people from a single innocuous advertisement for fear of them being corrupted by it.

If your parenting skills are so weak as to allow something like this to corrupt a child’s very soul, Caldari parenting is worse than my ma’s. If she saw me even look in that general direction she’d have wooped my ass.
Course, she’s nucking futs as my pa would say. Much rather a child grow up with that kinda thing than a goddamn eternal war ffs.

1 Like