Oh, this is fun. I get to be the agreed-upon villain! … oh wait that’s not new. Oh well.
So, quasi-professional filament diver here (it’s where I make nearly all my ISK), recently resumed after shutting down during the invasions.
I mostly agree, or at least don’t strongly disagree, with Arrendis’s account, but have at least one thing to add: the Triglavian Collective actively encouraged filament use, and went so far as to hack CONCORD’s systems punishing tier 4 and 5 filament users by setting them suspect (and therefore fair game for other eggers) upon their return. They also are basically the only people likely to have sponsored the Agency event that arrived at the same time.
Arrendis is correct: they wanted us there. And, they seem to still want us there.
To me, though, that’s not quite reason enough not to go. Sure if I go I’m being studied, but actually I don’t think there’s a lot new they’re likely to be learning (I’ve kinda been there before, you know?). I’m retrieving exotic materials including survey data that CONCORD’s really eager to get, and I have the opportunity to engage the Triglavians and also to interfere with other Abyssal incursions (which … gets messy when it’s CONCORD? Those black ops units don’t seem to have any qualms about attacking me and it doesn’t hurt me with CONCORD though, so … eh?).
For me what flips it, though, is this: there isn’t a lot we’ve managed to do that the Triglavians aren’t apparently fine with. I mean, they try to kill us in various contexts but they don’t seem to hold it against us much. The EDENCOM defense campaign was something they seemed to take slightly more personally, but even then it seems more like they were sorting allies from enemies among capsuleerdom than that they really objected much to those of us who picked “enemy.” They still happily run me through their provings, after.
The question, then, is whether we can come out ahead in the exchange. I’ve run basically the same fit for years now, and … it works? Yay? Probably less efficient than a Sacrilege but I like the extra reach and besides I still have a little sentimental attachment to Caldari ship design? What they have to learn from me they’ve probably mostly learned, but they still consider me an acceptable contestant and they still reward me accordingly.
What I take from them is useful in real and measurable ways (including and even especially against the Triglavians themselves), and some of the resources brought back are the source of most of what we know about the Collective. It’s how we found the world ark and dreadnought construction sites and learned of the Triglavians’ encounters with other entities, along with a lot of what we’ve pieced together about their culture and attitudes (and gods know how much survey data). I believe if we disengage we’ll deny ourselves a key source of intel, intel we badly need to keep flowing if we’re ever going to unweave Pochven.
Admittedly, it’s hard for me to disentangle personal desires from what’s correct, here. The tests the Triglavians set before me are more meaningful than the massacres an experienced combat pilot usually gets tasked with, which bloody, blunt, and rust me at the same time. I’ll admit I relish the challenge. I didn’t get into this work to be an executioner.
But, also …
All during our contacts with them, a consistent theme of Triglavian culture and conduct throughout has been a certain peculiar sense of fair play. It doesn’t work the way we’d normally expect or want it to, but it’s there even so. I doubt they consider it a weakness, but I don’t at all mind using it as one. Few of the other contestants are of a kind we want to see rewarded (probably just one, unless you’re not a fan of CONCORD).
So I’ll play their games, if it means a chance to learn, to grow, perhaps to catch up. To all appearances, they won’t disapprove even if we use that growth to challenge them. But considering how skewed their approval is from our perspective, their approval’s not quite a reason not to do it.