Eve Anywhere

If it won’t be extra, they should not have put that “while there is no charge” part in the text. Sure, they can change their mind (which I doubt they will do) but initial trust damage has been done needlessly.

Linux users already pay “extra” and get less than Windows / Mac users with regard to official development and support.

Time to let Windows/Mac users pay “extra” and let Linux users get in without that “extra” then.

You have to pay for Wine?

I said “official” development and support, we’re left out when it comes to that. We’re second class customers, but yet we pay still the same.

we had this discussion with offical people, when crunch time comes to Linux, we’re up shat creek with no paddle.

This is why we want/need Eve Anywhere.

Of course, when our user agent says “Linux” we can stil get shafted on support, who knows.

Basically with support tickets it’s like “Just don’t mention Linux”. In fact not long ago (maybe they changed that now since I raised this issue too), there is/was a category called “Linux (not supported)” when opening tickets when specifying platform, we had/have to specify “Other” (funnily enough OTHER is supported but Linux is/was not). See here What is with the GM support? - #4 by Zoiie and here What is the best way to talk to the devs? - #11 by Zoiie

Yis, I will be able to play at workplace at last.

I don’t really see it as “sketchy” to charge for an entirely optional service, nobody is forcing you to pay for it and most players playing now aren’t going to need it because they clearly are able to run the client themselves

Can’t really expect them to add this for free and eat the costs

It will be, its an optional fee to access their cloud streaming services, this won’t be free once it launches, the blog makes that rather clear

If all the Linux customers stop buying PLEX, it will be free to access :slight_smile:

While I am on Linux myself I have to say that there is probably a reason that they don’t make a native Linux client: There are not enough of them to make it worth the time/development $$. It’s a sad truth but truth nonetheless. This then translates to them caring enough about Linux to not actively thwart Wine, but not enough to where if they lose Linux customers due to lack of support that they will care much.

All the more reason to let Linux users get Eve Anywhere.

They can get it, assuming they use a supported browser and meet the requirements and buy the feature, you’re not going to get it for free just because you’re a linux user

open it to Omega customers then, as I say in other threads just because one is Alpha doesn’t mean we don’t pay and sometimes we go Omega from time to time when it suits us and we can and do buy ingame items and PLEX even as Alpha.

In fact I just did so, to get features, but will revert back to Alpha for a period again.

I am actually really pleased that they are trying to have a cloud solution in place before the native Mac client is launched and their WINE client is terminated. That’s a surprising amount of foresight to get a replacement option in place for the users who are dependent on the WINE client. Yes, players will still be able to emulate Windows for EVE locally, but this gives a supported (albeit paid) option. Will it be worth the price tag? No idea. It’s still a step in the right direction if it works properly and opens up EVE to more users or makes it more accessible to existing users.

We’ll just have to see if they can get it working outside a limited geographic region.

Might make it worth my time to upgrade my internet - I hear Google Fiber is now offering 2gigabit service in my area

Would result in a subscription price hike and for those who don’t need the feature thats just not something that will fly

If you want the feature you’ll have to pay for it like everyone else who wants to use it

Or just wait until econmics says they have to open it up for all to get us in.

Economics is a great motivator, or survival.

Won’t happen, if its not financially viable to run the service it will just get terminated, cloud gaming will always be an optional luxury just like netflix

Yeah, the internet won’t ever take off.

F2P will be the end of Eve, it probably saved Eve (and alot of other games).

IPv6 won’t ever happen…

Nobody needs encryption or privacy…

Linux won’t ever be usable on the desktop or for gaming…

Nobody needs to carry a phone about…

Personal computers won’t be a thing… nobody needs such things

Nobody needs air travel…

Nobody needs those liberties and freedoms either… nobody needs individualism…

Nobody needs open source…

Nobody needs to manage their own finances…

Nobody needs to own things (2030 bwahaha).

When is the Great Switch Off?

Yeah none of that wall of text is really relevant here, at the end of the day you’re going to have to pay for the service, now there will probably be a free trial like GFN has but you won’t get it for free to actually use it as your main method of logging in

Waiting for the day Eve stops working on Wine/Proton then :slight_smile: Should be a wakeup call to the bean counters.

Sure they thought Eve would be sub forever too and never go F2P, they got that wrong too.

Gaming is like a mall, they want people in to SPEND SPEND. As long as those PLEX are being created by paying customers, that’s what matters.

If Eve breaking on Proton/Wine is what it takes, then so be it.

What you call a luxury today is a commodity or essential way of operating later.

F2P became an essential and preferred way of operating didn’t it. instead of a paywall barrier to enter a game with a sub, it became free, a welcome mat to ingame stores. Come on in, look around, spend a little, spend more.

IPv6 will never be adopted it’s a luxury, now people are demanding it.

We can just wait a little time then… wait for the catalyst or the last straw on the camels back.

Perhaps another boot.ini will do it? Perhaps endless whines about “ma launcher doesn’t launch”.

Doubt it, i very much doubt you make up enough of a market share to actually show as much of a blip, Mac and Linux users aren’t really worth much in terms of market share

Not really the same thing, that was an actual market change, people aren’t going to start handing out server time for free lol

They aren’t going to want to operate server hardware at a loss, and like i said, the money your tiny market segment brings in isn’t enough for that to be a concern

Streaming services will never be a necessity

Fine, so Omega only access to start, that’s 500 PLEX per month per user.

Would also be nice to be able to spend on a weekly basis or per day with PLEX for Omega.