EVE Gate Shutdown – Wednesday September 27th

You’ll have to develop telepathic abilities I guess lol

I have a feeling some people won’t be elected again. Thank you for your view. If you run for CSM you got my vote.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking the same too… Right now your account can be exposed by API but given how they’re going SSO route it looks like they don’t care and want it to be individual pilots, not accounts.

CREST
This API is deprecated and will be shut down May 8th, 2018 or earlier if metrics signal a trivial level of usage. Please use ESI.

XML API
This API will be shut down May 8th, 2018 or earlier if metrics signal a trivial level of usage. Please use ESI instead.

Mark that date on your calendar :sob:

Recent? Recent? RECENT? This has been going on for years.

2 Likes

fix your stupid phone app

1 Like

I suppose it is part of living in the 21st century to live in a world of deception and bugs that are considered ‘features’.

I want my glasses fixed!

4 Likes

:joy:

1 Like

I feel I have to point out that he was replying in a snarky manner to a post that was made in a snarky manner.

These responses are really taking his statement out of context. You can’t honestly read a post that describes all smartphones as “mass surveillance devices” and just pass over it.

Yeah, I get that people have had their privacy violated by phones, but it’s also hilariously easy to disable most functions that might invade your privacy, and if you’re really worried about something like identity theft, don’t do stupid stuff like use Phone-Pay apps.

As far as the OP, it was kind of hard not to see this coming. EVEGate is really old, and it was never even finished in the first place. There’s a voice chat client in there that’s supposed to let you chat with people who are in-game, and it was never even developed beyond the initial interface.

Just like with CQ, knocking out these old, buggy features leaves room for newer and better ones.

What? You mean that isn’t the new hot style?

If the lens had a black tint it would be a new fashion

1 Like

No… I disagree.

What happened was he took the most ludicrous & tangential element of the post & chose to comment on that to avoid a very valid point, which the way I read it was essentially…

So you expect me to use a dinky little phone instead of the nice comfortable keyboard & screen I like that’s always been available before :angry:

That wasn’t the point, it was just a little hyperbole & window dressing for it :roll_eyes: well… I’m pretty sure that’s all it was?

Oh right, well on that basis we’d better retire EVE completely then I guess :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Accept that no new features appeared to be promised or in the pipework :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Doesn’t matter what sort of post was being replied to, one may feel like choking a customer, but still should respond in at least a semi-professional manner if your job is to represent a company.

Falcon usually does that pretty well, and obviously realised his error and quickly reverted back to a more proper manner of response.

Having been in the uncomfortable position of having to respond to frustrated clients about preventable things the company screwed up on I am willing to cut Falcon a lot of slack.

Now, one can only imagine what they say to each other privately at work and in whatever seedy star wars cantina-like Reykjavik dives they may frequent…

1 Like

That is a vast understatement. Modern phones are essentially portable mass surveillance devices and you can’t just go out of your way and disable that with a few options here and there. Smartphones are inherently insecure and anti-privacy. That people don’t care about that doesn’t change the fact that it’s true.

No, it wasn’t. I’m an ITsec guy that has to do with vulnerabilities, encryption, privacy, data protection, etc. on a daily basis. While it is certainly ridiculous presenting a buggy mobile application (that’s what people in this thread write about this EVE Portal thingy. I don’t have and won’t ever get any first-hand experience) as a alternative for a buggy website application (which is by default more portable, with the choice of actually using a decent keyboard instead of going the masochist way), it is not the only problem.

I don’t get why everyone is up on the fence screaming at Falcon for responding to me in that way. I think he considered my post a joke and responded in kind. No harm done.
We’re also playing EVE Online here, not Hello Kitty Online. Falcon is, like me, a player from the very early days, when EVE actually required a certain level of intelligence that a dwindling number of people still have and there also weren’t any millennials around that started crying and screaming the moment someone so much as indicated violating their safe spaces.

Falcons response to my comment was perfectly reasonable. Singling him out for that response only goes to show what a shitshow humanity has become over the last 2 decades.

2 Likes

Jesus CCP what are you guys doing there? Wait just shut down the game because mobile is better money in the short run! I have a feeling we are going to see a eve mobile game.

Eve is domed perhaps sell your assist to a better company that are going in the better direction (and have the balls to made progress) that you guys are aiming for! Stop the forcing mobile nonsense.

Eve is counting the money business again and not the practical use!

1 Like

I stand corrected then.

You know here are some small sections of the game that could easily be played almost entirely from a mobile if you really wanted to :wink:

I can already see the adds :laughing:

Come play Station Trader EVE Mobile, play from your phone in a sci-fi marketplace populated by thousands of real world players \o/

1 Like

Actually, a few years back Hilmar promised on stage that the year after they would have an EVE client for Android-based tablets.

Obviously that fell by the wayside in comparison to more important projects.

1 Like

Sorry you didn’t like my response. Please allow me to quote your very correct statement:

QFT, Q F T

Shirley you didn’t miss the rest of what I said after what you quoted so it must be a matter of us seeing things slightly differently.

FWIW, I wish I were a millennial, but am a bit beyond being in that group. I want safe spaces…and cookies…and naps, darn it!

1 Like

So…has anyone actually tried the mobile app recently? Or is all of this just bittervet bitching? As @Steve_Ronuken knows, TEchCo members such as @ccp_aquarhead who are on the tweetfleet slack actively took user feedback and helped prod fixes into existence. People should probably try the app first, THEN start bitching about the problems that do show up.

1 Like

Oh come on. There’s no need to do that kind of crap. You know perfectly well what I meant.

Developing on old features is far different from trying to throw patch work over and over again at broken features.