EVE Gate Shutdown – Wednesday September 27th

You know we’ve pretty much reached CREST parity with ESI, right?

And that ESI is still being actively developed? (new features and bugfixes are coming out weekly)

Still waiting for you to be able to auth entire accounts against SSO/ESI and be able to tell what accounts characters are on. Unless that’s already happened and I missed the memo.

(If you’re asking why this needs to be implemented you’ve evidently never done a good deal of api/account auditing)

Not my point Steve. It is the point were CCP doesn’t complete what they are working on or they band aide stuff for as long as they can instead of looking to the future and planning better (it is getting better, but still has a long way to go. Maybe CCP could use more transparency on things - minus the NDA tweaks to the game. But supporting stuff could use it. Like the forums, community site, the gate. And is ESI really up with CREST? Maybe for per character, but there seems to be little to no corp level and there is nothing to make it easier to ESI an entire account in at once.

2 Likes

Now how will I read those chain-mails without having to log into the game client?

2 Likes

Only slows the inevitable (likely as not), far better than that is to be on the inside pissing out…

So, with that in mind, are there any of our future overlords out there? & would they kindly point me in the direction of their minion recruitment queue :roll_eyes: :blush: :smile:

Can we do broadcasts via ESI? Or are they being deprecated along with eve gate?

It’s not going to happen.

That’s been talked about extensively, and it’s not going to happen.

I don’t get your response at all, but we can happily discuss cultural and political development of the next 5-10 years somewhere else.

And there won’t be. As has been stated repeatedly. CCP are not going to expose account information, only character information.

As for corp info: CREST had very little corp info in it. Other than the industry and fw endpoints, I think it’s there.

Seems to be CCP’s recent MO - retire useful things, then give vague promises on restoring functionality sometime in the future, in the meantime you can use this thing our players have made better somewhere else for free. This is like retirement of EVElopedia and its fiction contents all over again, it took them a year to make the fiction portal a reality after they said it would “take a couple of months”, and now it has been 6 months since it was opened up, and the fiction portal is still full of dead links and as far as I can tell there has been no new articles in 4-5 months.

If you have trouble undestanding how frustrating this is to me as a roleplayer, then imagine if CCP retired POS’s because they couldn’t be arsed to fix them, and introduced replacement structures only a year later, leaving you with nothing in the meantime.

Someone really should tell the higher ups at CCP that you don’t generally replace useful things unless you have an adequate alternative ready. As far as I understand, there isn’t a good alternative for the EVE Gate or its most used feature, composing mails while out of game.

7 Likes

They’re shutting down evegate because there’s an issue with it. Not just because they don’t want it any more.

(as for an alternative, there’s always https://evemail.fuzzwork.co.uk/ )

1 Like

What’s not to get?

I’m saying I don’t just not want to be “first” “targeted” I don’t want to be second, third or fourth etc… so where do I sign up to join those doing the targeting :rofl:

Police and Military.

I’m aware that you find this hilarious, ridiculous and silly. I’m aware that this is ongoingly off topic. Feel free to research, learn and spend five+ years on it, or just believe someone who has a really unusual hobby.

Have a nice day.

1 Like

And instead of fixing it they are removing it completely. Imagine if everyone worked like that. “Well, there is certainly cavity here in your tooth, but right now I don’t feel like doing a filling, so I’ll just remove it. Maybe sometime in the future I’ll give you a replacement tooth, though, so don’t be upset.”

3 Likes

You take the subject seriously? my apologies for the flip response then :slight_smile:

1 Like

EVE Portal is finally working again!!! Good job guys!

Oh CCP… Will you ever stop making things with spaghetti code?

3 Likes

That issue existed for years and CCP did not bother with it. CCP also had started revamping the webservices for years but instead of working on important services like EVE Gate first, which had been in dire disrepair for years, they had nothing better to do than to produce a dysfunctional feature show, a dysfunctional new forum and a dysfunctional twitter account that is slower to report issues than reddit. CCP had all the time in the world to produce a working and better web-based mail and character client but they opted to waste their time on other things.

Appreciate your work; however, sorry, but your service is not appealing to the eye nor is it easy to use. If this is a replacement for EVE gate, you better put some serious work into it. And soon, sooner than CCP puts work into their EVE Gate replacement.

3 Likes

Appealing to the eye is something I’m not too good at :slight_smile: Design, I don’t do.

Easy to use, on the other hand: What problems are you having with it? Any UX suggestions?

(I’ll also take suggestions on UI.)

And this is why it’s going to be a massive pain for API auditors going forwards. Also for people with more than a couple of accounts it’s going to be horrendous adding SSO to every character on every account, which will actually be a more painful experience than it is currently. Good way to dissuade people.

1 Like