EVE Online: Into The Abyss - General Feedback

Is CCP going to create new ships that are bonus specific to the Abyssal Modules? Maybe one for each class of ship.

I also think to heat up things a bit that NPC Raiders need to be released into the system. When a filament is activated it has a 35% of drawing the attention the of an NPC Abyssal Raider ship or fleet of ships to your filament.

The higher tier of the Abyssal filament means the NPC’s will use larger and more ships to try and wreck your boat with.

The good thing is that the NPC ships would drop T2 salvage and even possibly mutated modules, filaments and Mutaplasmids.

The NPC could also enter the filament to come chase you down as well or they might engage the Abyssal NPC’s and then afterwards come after you. They too would be bound by needing to exit the Abyss in the same manner that you would where they might attack you at the exit point of the Abyss.

Standings would determine how the NPC Raiders interacted with you of course.

2 Likes

A possible new exploit.

If you get a “Not Responding” message and Eve closes down and you are quick enough to log back in, you might be able to save your ship. But more importantly the Abyssal timer disappears.

The screenshot below is about 30 seconds after I logged back in and had managed to get my shields up in time. The five minute timer is present but the Abyssal Timer has disappeared. Not certain if such a manipulation would allow the sites to be ran without any worry of the timer or not.

Exploit

1 Like

That’s a cool idea. I think it would be awesome if they were so dangerous that whatever you were fighting also tried to kill them. So you’d have some time to whittle them down before they turn their attention to you, but if you don’t and fight them at full force you’d have a really sorry chance of beating them in time or not exploding. Maybe have them appear with dedicated logis in some instances to make players prioritize while they have free reign. Randomized spawns too so sometimes it’s better to focus the normal abyssal entities. It feels too safe now already to do the sites, haven’t done a 5 but still…

I didn’t do any abyssal testing on the test server before release or watch any demonstrations and it made the experience very very fun. I love pve that makes you think and sweat, and at the start when I had no idea what to expect it did. But after a lot of fitting improvements and time to master I find myself just afterburning towards the can and then the gate while the Gila annihilates everything. The only time I really have to make range is when there are 3 starving Leshak with support, but tbh I think at this point I can just approach them as usual and blow them up before they did anything serious. Just haven’t tried.

Also not a fan of intentionally making things harder for myself. Yeah there are ships that will be harder to run with and involve way more skill but why would I not be optimal? Needs more vedmaks! I wanna see like 6 vedmak spawns and 3 of them are severely damaged, so identify the damaged ones and blow them up fast or face the nasty entropic bad touch. More spawns more randomized initial damage on npcs to make people have to identify targets to get rid of dps quickly. I wanna have to kite 5 embergrip cruisers while three striking leshaks and a starving leshak are firing at me while two vila vedmaks annoy the overview with their drone spam and attack my drones!

1 Like

The Abyssal sites are easy to run. Eve Online also needs to vastly implement NPC AI evolution. What better place to test that evolution in a three room dungeon in the Abyss?

It rather cool to think about the above scenario fitting in with a D & D environment. You are exploring a deep dungeon and come across the NPC’s that you are fighting for the loot let alone your life.

Then all of a sudden loud yelling is heard as torches appear from the around the corner of the hallway leading into the NPC chamber.

Time stops for a moment as everyone has the “OS WTF?” moment before deciding their next course of action.

1 Like

This is my concern as well. A disconnect should pause the clock and reset the room when you log back in. That way, you’ll have a chance of recovering. As it is, if you can’t login back in time, you die. I only fly cheap caracals in T1 and T2 sites. No way am I gonna risk a pimp Gila in a T4. Disconnects are inevitable in any online environment.

2 Likes

The isk/hr from T1 and T2 sites is actually very good for high sec (150m-ish). And this is with a caracal costing only 50m. I’ve made some nice coin.

Congrats?

Yes. …

That would be good to never enter abyssal space and simply farm such NPCs outside with carriers and such :ok_hand:

1 Like

Umm, what??? “Easy to run” is not what the vast majority of players are reporting for the Abyssal sites, nor do all the shiny ship losses support that conclusion.

Having done well over 100 sites now, I think I can safely say that the Abyssal content is quite hard overall for most players. I think that the only players that might say they are easy are overheating junkies/gurus running the sites in 2-5+ billion ship + implant fittings + max skills in everything.

The Gila is certainly among the best ships to use (and probably makes a less taxing experience), but I struggle with even with tier 3 sites in it, and it took me quite a while before I could even attempt to run those. I’ve not been able to get past tier 2 yet in any other kind of ship, and I’ve tried a fair number of them: missile fits, blasters, lasers, etc. I’ve only lost two ships so far, but I’ve learned how fast I need to be able to consistently complete a lower tier before attempting the next, plus the extra tank I’m likely to need to survive a more difficult encounter spawn.

I think that most EVE players find Abyssal deadspace to be a very challenging and expensive form of PVE. It’s not clear to me yet that the rewards outweigh the risks taken to get better loot, although I’m somewhat on the plus side of loot gained vs. ship investments and losses. Let’s leave the existing content close to what it is for now (or perhaps balance the spawns a bit better for each difficulty level) rather than thinking up new ways to completely kill off any ship that one tries to fly.

2 Likes

I don’t know how many sites you have run or when, but I’m no longer seeing the kind of shiny loot drops in tier 1 and 2 sites like I saw in the first 5-6 days or so. I ran about 50 sites during the first week, plus about 50-100 sites in the second week, and the loot out of the second week has definitely been a lot lower in value.

Part of that is certainly because of the drop in market prices, especially for filaments, but a large part is also because I’m no longer seeing the shinier loot like skillbooks and ship bpc’s that I sometimes got in the lower tiers that first week. So either it’s no longer possible to get those anymore in the lower tiers, or the drop frequency has been reduced quite a bit.

1 Like

These are really not worth running atm, making 4mil per level 3 run and level 4 is death with the wrong spawn (which seems to happen often) so making a loss overall.

3 Likes

Are you keeping a log of each site? I can blitz a t1 site with a Caracal in about 7-8 minutes, and with a Gila in 5-6 minutes. I mainly run Dark and Gamma t1 sites, and the average loot from Gamma has been 15m, and Dark 20m. Maybe I’ve just been lucky.

I just knew someone would bring up “Low Sec”… I have no problem with players “camping” the gates to the FW sites; my problem is them being able to be in the sites themselves.

The loot drops have definitely changed. I’m seeing a lot more Zero-Point and Crystalline Isogen-10 (which is reflected in the significant price drop over the past week). It’s definitely not anywhere near as lucrative as it was even as recently as a week ago.

2 Likes

I don’t keep a log of loot per site, but I usually look up the loot value of what’s in my cargo hold before dropping it off.

In a Gila I typically need 5-8 minutes to run a tier-1 site, 7-11 minutes for tier-2, and 14-16 minutes for tier-3 (although I’ve only run a few of the latter). I recently completed a 50-minute session with two tier-1 and three tier-2 sites: total loot value upon return was 73 million but expenses were 21 million (3 agitated gamma, 2 calm gamma, faction missiles, plus a level-2 speed booster). Since I generally need a short 10-minute break after running that many sites, that works out to a net gain of 52 million for one hour.

However, the above example is a much better loot haul than I was usually getting in the second week. More typically I was only clearing about 10-25 million per hour running level 1-2 sites (50-70% weighted toward tier-2), and sometimes I just barely covered my expenses. Although it would be hard to lose this particular ship in a tier-1 site, there is some risk of this happening in a tier-2: in one site I got neuted out for over a minute and lost two hardeners on a passive shield tank, which could have ended badly if stronger rats were present. So the loot is not risk-free even with a better ship/fit.

I don’t have much data on tier-3 sites, but I was to net around 30-40 million per site on the ones I’ve run. I don’t know how typical that is, and the risk level is definitely higher (although I’ve only run gamma sites so far, where I have the strongest tank in my Gila). I decided I want to put a bit more ISK in my wallet first before trying more of those, and I may want to bling my ship a bit more as well.

2 Likes

Well i don’t know about anyone else but the loot drops are now extremely poor.
First week was amazing, but i’ve now run about 60 sites in the last few days with nothing really to show for it.

Swapping from farming these to farming the users instead sounds a much better plan.

4 Likes

I’m so tired of having to issue commands 2 or 3 times before they’re accepted in Abyssal pockets. It’s really bad.

And yes, I’ve also noticed that the quality of loot drops has diminished significantly. I don’t think F1-F2 filaments are even profitable to run at this point, and F3 filaments are fast following suit.

Since F4-F5 filaments can’t be run in high-sec it’ll be back to L4s and Burners for most. As if null-sec and wormholes needed the income boost…

When did that happen?

1 Like