EVE Online to go native on macOS!

Thanks for the reminder. Done!

1 Like

iā€™m certain i didnā€™t change my password since 2015. and i donā€™t remember the old one :frowning:

Hmmmm, this is weird then. The current mirror on Singularity is from the middle of February, so it should be using the password, which you had on TQ in February.

edit: Corrected date

My Account is from 12.02

The mirror was finalized on February 15th, but the data used for it typically is a few days before the ā€˜publishedā€™ mirror date, since it takes some time for the mirror to be completed. It looks like the mirror was taken just before your account was created.

I am still not able to create an account on Singularity Test server. Yes, I am new to Eve Online. Is the link broken to create the account on that test server?

Quoting myself from the other thread for those who only see this thread.

1 Like

Thanks, I missed it.

1 Like

No problem. With several threads and a lot of people asking the question, it is easy to miss the answer. :slight_smile: Sorry you are missing this cycle of testing (I am too, but because I donā€™t have my Mac up to current OS, sigh), but I hope you are enjoying EVE on the Tranquility server, and are in a position to take part in the next test phase!

Edit to fix a typo

You can still test if you have windows

I have a Mac, but it is on an incompatible OS version for the test launcher (anything pre-Catalina, aka macOS 10.15, cannot be used for this test). My Mac is too small in available HDD-space to effectively partition the HDD and run a Windows instance on the partition - I only have 128GB storage space to begin with, and most of it is in use already for Mac-side software. EVE alone is the better part of 25GB, and Windows would be another 20 GB. Thatā€™s just not feasible right now on this computer, which is why I am considering buying a PC tower for the future.

I am not able to run it on my Mac M1 through the regular launcher. I found using Crossover is working for me at the moment. I will have to make a decision on buying after the trial or hope that a new launcher that is native works on the Mac soon. It is still using Wine under the hood and it has an error missing a font to load Wine. Although, my Mac has that font, not sure why Wine cannot pull it and use it. So, for now CrossOver :).

There have been several comments on here (including some by myself). You can use Wine without Crossover to run on an M1 Mac. You just need to use an older version of Wine. image

1 Like

So far, GREAT results on the native Mac client! The fan is no longer running at full speed and CPU processes for Eve Online have gone from max to hovering around 35-50% on idle. I can actually have this open in a window while I have other apps open at the same time!

WINE client on idle:
win64-preloader, 192.8% CPU
EVE Launcher: 105.2% CPU

Native client on idle:
Exefile, 36.7%

Congratulations to the Mac team at CCP!

3 Likes

I have an M1 MacBook Pro with 16gb of memory. I played for about 45 minutes. graphics look great. the only issue so far was some graphic glitching while in combat with an NPC in an asteroid belt. NPC shooting lasers and we were in a dusty area in the AB. gas giants look awesome now. no crash so far. I will be playing for several hours tonite. great job.

2 Likes

I just tested the native Mac launcher on Singularity, seems to work fine. Iā€™m a station trader though so I havenā€™t tested a lot of stuff with it.

However, is it possilbe to run the native client on Tranquility? Or is it not possible yet?

1 Like

Hi. The client can not yet be used on Tranquility. However, this public test is the first step for us to get there :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Awesome, thanks! I know Iā€™ve said it a few times, but if you get issues, please bug report (F12) from within the client and attach a screenshot. It will include system specs and we can see the problem first hand. Many thanks for the feedback :grinning:

1 Like

Is the second client force-downloaded for all Mac-based launchers?

My Macbook Airā€™s disk space is quickly filled trying to download the patch today. I bring this up because when the force-download hit the HD OOM barrier, it triggered the OS to force-close out of several other programs, some of which I was actively using. Perhaps something to consider.

I regularly play using the Wine client on 1.8 GHz Dual Core 8GB memory w/ Intel Integrated HD Graphics 6000, so very potato mode. But it requires my HD not to be completely full. Iā€™m interested in giving feedback, but only if I were able to select 1 client for download at a time in the launcher. If this canā€™t be addressed, thatā€™s OK, if a bit of a bummer.

Hi
The Native Mac Client should only be downloaded if you select the Singularity test server. It should not be downloaded if you didnā€™t change from TQ.
The Native Mac Client is only the essentials - binaries and a few gig of content to get you in game. Itā€™s not anywhere near the full client download, unless you have that option turned on in the launcher.
I will certainly check some of the machines we have been testing on though, to see if any have done anything unusual in this regard :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, there is no way to choose between installed clients in the launcher for this test.