Gank Related Megathread Pt. 2

It’s just hard to have too much pity for anyone who gets caught in a venture. You have to really not be paying attention for that to happen.

1 Like

when in a mining barge though you can’t really run

Yeah that’s true, but it’s why I usually still use a venture in low sec when I just need some isogen or something for a quick build. If I’m out in a barge a lot of other things are already in place just in case.

Well, we can begin rather small. Average Joe Newbro joins a Lowsec PvP corp with lots of vets, he sees them using BlackOps and Dreads regulary and decides that looks like a lot of fun and he wants that too. Skillbooks + a nice BO+Fit + a nice Dread+Fit and we are talking about several billion ISK already.

Whats your solution for him getting that ISK in a reasonable timeframe? (meaning a few months, because he for sure doesnt want to begin fyling that stuff in 2025 when the corp he is in now may not even exist any more)

I didnt say that. I just don’t believe for a minute that the intention for ganking is “protecting the economy”. It’s about fun and profit, nothing more, nothing less. And thats fine.

Then why don’t the gankers go there, trying to kill these “spamming” runners which are for sure quite a lot more hurting the “economy”? I think you know why.

And the handful runners Githany may protect are not even worth mentioning because in the larger picture they play absolutely no role imho?

In my opinion the gankers simply go after highsec runners because even while they are hard to find sometimes, they are pretty easy prey and there is neither resistance nor failure to be expected if you plan correctly, have a bit of patience and do not mess up badly. And the coming changes will increase their chances quite a bit.

1 Like

Oh, sorry I overlooked that one.

Well, I believe they are in some competition, but the degree varies a lot depending on the activty and depending on where the profits go. But I also believe that HS-ganking is absolutely not nessessary to keep a good balance and a healthy economy. I bet all my assets even if they would turn HS into a complete Green-Safety Zone with no nonconsensual PvP possible, the economy wouldn’t be hurt significantly. There have been much larger interventions by CCP and some shook up the markets for quite a while but in the end they always come down and a new balance is found.

1 Like

The blog post of changes is now up: https://www.eveonline.com/news/view/changes-to-security-status-and-abyssal-filaments

TL;DR:

Highsec ganking is a valid and necessary playstyle

Hopefully this satisfies Lucas Kell’s repeated and obnoxious repeated attempts to lump all ganking as griefing. Also, predicably, in b4 “I never said that” and “I want gankers to still be around”.

I’ve never been ganked in a Venture but have actually gained two kill rights against gankers while mining in a Venture. That’s the side that the anti gank crowd never mentions. It’s actually quite satisfying when a gank fails and one gets a kill right out of it.

One of the most fun deranged things that I do in this game is use a venture to gank ventures in low sec. It’s pure ecstasy. And when I kill an attack frigate with my battle venture, its like the world is falling into oblivion and my body is given over to pure unadulterated joy. The sheer destruction. The sheer mayhem. The feeling that an underpowered mining vessel punched up is incredible.

Come, join me Altara. Give it all you got!

I’m already there in one of my alts…am leaving highsec to the crybabies

No no,

I mean, join me in blapping ventures with ventures. Join me in feeling the thrill of destroying helpless miners with a helpless mining ship!

Besides, Null sec is just crykrab space. Not much different from high sec. Just with more krabbing

as unrelated to my question as your return to the market and if ganking affects it is, I will just answer that by saying that a flood if any good unrestrained cant do anything but lower the value of that item,meaning that ever more ridiculous levels of Income must be generated by the next thing CCP introduces, which results in inflation.

In regards to my question on competition;

Why would you want your competitors to be making riskless isk? Why wouldnt you want them to get setbacks? Why wouldnt you desire misfortune on them in return for your own improved prospects if isk is what you care about?

-10 people won’t be able to tether anymore

it’s on today’s official news

I’m perfectly okay with that. As a ganker, I might add.

2 Likes

I don’t doubt that general mechanism, but also the level of demand and the level of supply change up and down over time. If the value drop too much, more people will buy that stuff, some people will drop out of the activity. In the end the price rises again.

I just checked price history of a few unstable mutaplasmids, that drop mostly in the higher tier abyssals: absolutely no significant price drop visible.

Also the access to the HighTier abyssals is not really “unrestrained”. The number of players who actually do the T5/T6 is pretty low compared to all other activities (missions, WH, anos, mining) because the initial investment is high and the punishment for being not concentrated or having a connection drop can be pretty harsh. Even many who probably could fly them chose not to, since they rather make less money under less demanding circumstances. Not even counted that the coming changes makes hunting them even easier, because the number of HighSec systems to scout for them shrinks significantly. If I were a ganking group, count on the fact that I had a scanner in every region of Highsec that checks the 0.5s with probes whenever I need targets. T6 and T5 runners will be in a lot more danger now if the Gankers aren’t lazy.

Its still a game and not every decison is about hard competition. When I am in an Icebelt with my Orca and some Macks, I randomly invite complete strangers in Ventures, Barges, Exhumers that try to cut a slice from the piece. I just boost them to be friendly and often they are thankful and some even tip me with a few Iceblocks in return. Is that a bad economical decision because they now got more Ice and will pressure the price even more? Maybe, but I couldn’t care less. I am a human, not a machine. Same goes for teaching others how to blitz missions, how to run abyss, how to farm this and that. It may hurt me economically (even if not really noticable), but it makes my game time enjoyable and that is what I pay the sub for.

Well, no because ganking is still possible, and so there hasnt been the wide spread overfarming that I predicted if ganking were removed/impossible due to more people doing them, not said was happening now.

Why is the discussion limited to those? And can gankers even tell? L4s apoarently are worthwhile enough (I dont think I got past 3 before quitting them).

Again, many would disagree if impeding others gives you an edge. I suppose if you have some sort of moral imperative, but I dont understand why you would if isk aquisition is your end goal.

For me its moot as I will only play while I am under the threat of ganking. As soon as that is removed, there is basically no reason for me to play anymore.

My point is that T5/6 farming is a lot more common than lets say a year ago. Because many streamers showed how to do it, many working fits have been tested and even published in the community and many needed several months to grind the ISK for the starting setup. You claimed that the more people do the same content the less the loot is worth - and this situation already is there compared to a year ago - but the markets show no sign of dropping prices.

And I don’t buy for a second that the prices of abyssal loot would break down if ganking would be removed, I consider the impact of ganking as too small for such a big impact.

Well, the discussion is not limited but if I was a ganker I would not waste my limited gametime with low value targets. And as a runner, why run T3 in the first place when you can run T4 pretty safely in a well skilled HAC without a billion ISK fitting? You pay probably less or the same for a T4 running cruiser than you pay for an efficient L4 mission BS.

They can tell if its a low tier (0-3) or high tier (4-6) trace by the color. I assume they want to make profit, lots of salt and shiny killmails, so it would be clever to hunt for T6>T5>T4… which means the coming changes will make it a LOT easier for them to find such high targets in HighSec, the 0.5s and 0.6s your neighborhood are scouted pretty quickly with a good scanner.

Because nothing is just black and white, nothing is just 0 or 100%. I try to maximize the fun I have while playing and while I think players defintely need some reliable sources of income (which you claimed is bad) to work towards their goals which sometimes are pretty expensive, these sources do not need to have maximum efficiency all the time. Its about fun, not perfection.
I sometimes blitz missions for Amarr even while Gallente would bring 20% more ISK/LP - so what if I enjoy zapping everything with my Paladin?

Nobody is planning that. Its still very possible to gank Missionrunners, Abyssalrunners, Exhumers, Barges, Orcas and Freighters if you just want to. In case of abyssal runners it will even be easier because you have to scout less systems for the real high tier traces.

We will see.

And Im assuming you mean a generic “you”, as Im not the one doing the ganking.

1 Like

Of course.

Thanks for the conversation.

1 Like

Whenever I fail they send me email or convo me and mock me for being so bad. When I don’t fail and I destroy their ship, they send me emails or convo me with lots of verbals and IRL death threats usually including my family.

Typical crybear. I just ignore it.

speaking of emails

did you see the emails I sent you?
that mistery is solved