Ganking and PVP: Numbers in perspective

Exactly right.
Players don’t leave because they get ganked.
I was ganked last week. Did I leave? No.
Only the crybabies want people to believe that fairy tale because they want to put the game on automatic while they watch a movie and eat chips.

The day CCP removes ganking from the game is the day it shall really be dead.

2 Likes

Well again, the thread isn’t about “noob ganking”, it’s about ganking, in general. And as I’ve stated before, my personal belief (and experience) is that discussions about ganking seem to generate more passion and activity than I believed was justified by the actual amount of ganking.

Looking at the issue from various angles (we checked ship types, top gankers records, top ganking alliance records, corp records, etc.) has shown me at least that the total extent of ganking is larger than I originally thought. Probably a fair bit larger, but still not huge.

So yes players are getting ganked. No, I can’t find anything that would indicate new players are at all likely to be ganked within their first 2 weeks (which is when the vast majority of them quit).

I haven’t yet summarized the observations I made while doing this, but a couple of quick ones would be:

• The chance of ganking any given person at any given time seems quite small. Thus, despite all the talk about it, something like (wild guess) 95% of all activity in high sec is probably undisturbed by gankers.
  • However even if only say 2% are at risk of ganks, 2% of “a lot of activity” can still be a high absolute number.
  • The ISK values involved go quite high. So I’d say the true impact of ganks is less on new players and cheap ships, and more on the effect on players who have committed to EVE, have played for a while, have built some assets - and then lose a fair chunk of them to a gank.

That said, I don’t feel ganking is the primary cause of losing players in EVE. I don’t think it’s even in the top 3 and probably not the top 5. But it appears to be something that maybe CCP should be taking a deeper look at it with better data.

Well, sorry, but this is simply nonsense. Not sure if you’re trolling or just can’t be bothered to express a rational thought here because you need to vent some emotional bias.

Try again sometime when you’re not projecting a single personal experience onto literally tens of thousands of other players and their situations. And when you’ve lost something bigger than a Venture in lowsec (which wasn’t even a gank, by many standards). And when you’re not simply spouting nonsense.

4 Likes

So yes players are getting ganked. No, I can’t find anything that would indicate new players are at all likely to be ganked within their first 2 weeks

Case closed then

1 Like

What kind of gobbly-gook psychological-bs is that?

I stated a fact.
There are no biases in facts.

Unlike you, I don’t pretend to speak for everybody. You don’t speak for me. Whatever you state is based on some unverifiable data, only CCP has that data and their statements are biased towards company benefits.
All those threads about ganking are merely crying and moaning when they’re not troll threads. No need to get all scientific about it. Ganking has never been the cause of the demise of a PvP game.

1 Like

LOL ! No, the true nonsense comes from some troll who is full of ‘CCP says…’ when it suits him, but who totally ignores CCPs very own data the rest of the time.

The whole point of my stats was that even if we allow for wildly high ganking rates we can still definitively say that the majority of week old noobs have not left due to ganking. It really doesn’t matter what the error margin is. The whole point was that even with in-exact data we can show that the number of people ganked is only a small portion of those who leave.

Sort of reminds me of the verse about removing the beam from one’s own eye before one can remove the mote from someone else’s. Well…at least in a universe where 98% is somewhat larger than 2% !

Like you do ? You don’t have ANY data….at all. You are the ultimate hypocrite in demanding concrete data off others when you are consistently asked for data yourself yet never have any.

And I don’t need some troll telling me what I need. You are irrelevant and mathematicians have yet do create a number small enough to represent the sheer insignificance of your dreadfully over-inflated opinion.

1 Like

I couldn’t care less what you oppose. You and your mere opinions are irrelevant as the data is fact. The new player login data is from CCP themselves. And even if it had fallen appreciably since 2019 my conclusions would still be true. That’s the whole point. The number of people leaving each week simply cannot…even if you are wildly liberal with the data…be explained by ganking as the number of people ganked is hugely smaller. FACT.

Very simple maths ( but obviously way over your head ) shows that the claim that any significant number of new players are leaving because of ganking is utter nonsense. It is demonstrable nonsense.

I appreciate that fools don’t like data that demolishes their obsessive cause…but that is another matter entirely.

1 Like

Yep. ( I can play that silly game too ).

2 Likes

Then you should probably stop giving them credence by engaging with them.

2 Likes

Ganging is activity for toxic nerds who wasted their life online. Mad incels.

1 Like

Whats wrong with that?

Everyone needs a hobby

2 Likes

lol! grow up!

Especially funny considering based on his own logic he could be prosecuted for his own name as well “shower bend over” if someone is to read as much into it as he’s reading into ganking. :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :smirk: This forum and the game is available to teens after all. :thinking:

:eyes:

I saw at least 5 ganks just this morning in Uedama/Sivala, and add to that 3 or so that got away.
This was during like 3-4 hour period.

Amusingly, on another forum where I discuss game design issues, someone brought up this very thread (and a couple others) to “prove” that open-world, non-consensual PvP is a ‘death blow’ to MMOs.

To re-iterate what I’ve said before: the data we can get from zKillboard and other published sources is incomplete. We simply can’t pull the information we need to determine who’s new, who’s really been ‘ganked’, who quits and when and after how many losses.

CCP can find this data, and it’s curious that they’ve moved from a “ganking doesn’t make people leave” position to “we need grief counselling for new players losing ships” and GM SRP programs.

While discussing the issue this reddit thread was also pointed out:

Which has some correlation with what’s been discussed here. Again, can’t squeeze out data that’s not there, but the numbers are strongly suggestive.

2 Likes

The data strongly suggest that it’s subjective.

+1 for necromancy…:skull:

Thanks for posting this… Definitely an interesting thread with some very thought-provoking stats posted in the OP.

Obviously that 2015 CCP Rice presentation doesn’t mean squat when compared to the ‘Beyond the Friendship Machine’ presentations done a few years later, and especially now, what with all the in-game changes recently implemented that pertain to that subject.

Guess the bottom line is that, despite us not having access to the numbers, those ‘Friendship Machine’ presentations coupled with the recent in-game changes is actually a good indication that there really is an issue, one that CCP now feels compelled to act upon.

Course as we all know, CCP is slow on action and implements most changes in small phases. Basically we can expect more iterations on this in future releases… :wink:

2 Likes

It is more about who started first.
There is no sec satus hit if you defend yourself. Only attacker is punished with reduction of sec status.
Low sec is still empire space, not completely lawless, its less secure than high sec. You cant expect running around attacking and killing people while having no consequences of your actions.

Not this ■■■■■■■■ again, I’ve pushed back against this specific line of fallacious statistics in the CSM ganking thread and don’t want to repeat myself.

The worst kind of necromancy

Then don’t. Problem solved, disaster averted!

1 Like