Gatecamps

For those of you that think you cant get around a gatecamp by using a scout alt to go in first…there are ways to get around that to. It is a rare thing to see, i do it a lot, but there are ways to ignore the cheap ship because the expensive one always follows :slight_smile:

that being said, choke points are needed and a fact of life. get over it.

Have you actually multiboxed outside of gank situation? Because that is almost only time where overlaying windows can give you good results. I can tell you that it can get confusing and hard when you have to control actions on more than 2 alts in actual combat.

1 Like

The whole point of a scout is to scout the gate (at least in this context) … and the whole point of doing so is to not enter gate camp… if someone jumps into a camp after scouting the camp then he is doing something wrong (granted if you don’t fit for getting through there is always chance of getting blopsed)

1 Like

Yeah, I did, but only quadrupleboxing miners.

Did you actually read my post properly? No matter how fast you are, you still have to manage to get all commands through within the same server tick. You will always lose time compared to actual people playing.

Please take the time to measure the amount of time it takes for you to cycle through all your accounts, giving one command into each, then share the results.

This, plus the serious stress caused by failing and having to wait fifteen ■■■■■■■ minutes for the next try.

When I pretended to be a new player, I’ve deliberately headed into lowsec to get blown up. I’ve contacted the aggressor (disco battleship, couldn’t have asked for a better one) played surprised and curious and got thirty million isk from playing for 10 minutes.

2 Likes

Irrelevant, as what we’re talking about in this thread is the gank situation.

Irrelevant, as what we’re talking about in this thread is multiboxing a hauler and a scout, which is not “more than 2 alts”.

Anyway, there are a number of other occasions multiboxing can be useful, besides just combat.

I’ve only multiboxed 2 clients, as my PC won’t handle any more than that (needs a new graphics card). I find I can set 2 windows up, 1 on each screen, and move between them almost instantaneously - I may miss the ‘tick’ occasionally, but certainly not every time.

This is actually a bit of a red-herring anyway - when I multibox to avoid gankers I send the scout through first, and then park him up cloaked before I send the hauler through - so there’s only one client being commanded at any one time.

1 Like

New player can be killed of course but there no sense by being killed by a blind gate jump. There is no intelligency in that. So as a new player when you get killed by non-sense, this is not what a player is looking for. E.g. he is killed by being catched, baited, etc. That’s something. This is fun even being killed a nwe player can get fun.

Getting second acount is a need, if you are not sitting at somewhere. E.g. your null corp area, your corps lowsec area etc. All people doesnot have to play your game style. E.g. pve, miner, fleet pvp etc.

This my last reply to you. Already all the facts i have given is above already.

1 Like

second account is needed yes.
If you are to be self sufficient.
Always need that cyno/hauling/scout toon.

1 Like

That’s all very interesting (I mean it), but I don’t think I’m disagreeing with any of it either.

I know you can play without a scout, I even believe that this creates a more engaging, more interesting experience (this is why I joined Starlight after all).

But that doesn’t change how easy it is to multibox and eliminate all risk (and fun IMO) from gate camps. You say you usually got something better to do with your alt which is maybe the most relevant to my argument, but the counterargument to this would be that you aren’t limited to any number of alts.

Of course the amount of clunkiness goes up the more clients you spin up, but if you got a setup like Markee Dragon for example, with 36 displays powered by a nuclear reactor, then running one more client on a separate screen really isn’t any serious effort. While potentially annoying, setting auto pilot and occasionally hitting the jump button is trivial, and at least the route setting could even be automated via ESI. Worst case scenario is that you lose your scout and have to do without him for a while, in which case you’d be no worse off than without a scout to begin with.

What bothers me the most about that is that a scouting alt is essentially free since you don’t even require any skill points to scout effectively in a shuttle, so you might as well farm the SP and gain most of your investment back if not even make a profit. If this wasn’t possible and you had to continuously pay the equivalent of ~2B Isk to keep your scout running and able to multibox, then I wouldn’t mind so much because it would be much easier to rationalise not using one.

You said it yourself, you can’t avoid every gate camp. Some you will be able to escape anyway, some you won’t. The question is, what would have happened if you had decided to scout ahead? What would have been the significant downside?

You may say it’s dumb to play Eve in “easy mode” like that with all the clunkiness it entails, and I would completely agree. But the option exists and I just think it’s more harmful than beneficial. Especially if we keep telling players that alts are more or less essential in Eve. Most of all I believe that it’s beyond cynical to describe this as “HTFU”.

When I first learned the game over a decade ago (partly in EVE University), I was constantly told how reckless it would be to jump through a lowsec gate without scouting ahead (in anything larger than a frigate or BR), so I mostly avoided it, which limited my gameplay experience a lot. Back then multiboxing wasn’t something I could have easily done on my setup nor was I willing to put up with the awkwardness of it. It’s not like I didn’t know about other ways to mitigate risk, but I just couldn’t rationalise accepting the remaining risk when it would be so easy to avoid otherwise. It felt like playing the game “wrong” and it just goes against all of my instincts to do so. A mistake in hindsight, but the messaging around this from the community certainly didn’t help.

Now my perspective is a different one, and my setup would make it very easy to multibox. At first I planned to embrace all the clunkiness and just do whatever is most effective. Instead, after some contemplation, I ended up joining a corp that refuses to use alts out of principle. Since then I’ve been having more fun than ever, and that just strengthens my belief that telling and encouraging new players to use alts and multibox for trivial things like scouting is ultimately bad for the game. And as an extension of that, I believe that current gate camp mechanics are far from ideal, because of how they reward trivial multibox shuttle scouting.

I am now happy to jump through a gate and take my chances, because I know I have no other option anyway. I can do various things to mitigate the risk, but can’t always be 100% certain (at least not without help from another player). And that makes things a whole lot more interesting.

1 Like

Gotta admit, I actually thought well beyond just two alts and I guess that’s a “my bad” from me here.

1 Like

Yes, there is.

The new player is supposed to play a capsuleer in a space game, with actual dangers. Entering space, that’s supposed to be dangerous, means that he can die.

• Why don’t you want people to play the game by its rules?
  • Why do you want the rules to be changed in your favour?
  • Why would you not grant other people the fun of playing a game with actual dangers?
  • Why do you want to define what’s fun?
  • Why do you want to deny others to have fun, just because you don’t like it?

You’re intolerant as ■■■■!

Is this guy yet another Balos, or Naarian?

1 Like

Broh… there are tons solutions. You don’t need to change the rules. I’m not gonna say to buy another omega acc or get a fleet since that was said already over and over.
1 - If you’re solo player and you’re doing mining and industry by yourself in low and null, you should be aware of the risks and expect that ■■■■ to happen.
2 - Use web tools and in-game tools. See how many players died last hour and many are in space. Also use gate-check. They’re not 100% accurate but it is way better than fly blind.
3 - If you’re not victim of fleet that received your intel and decided to wait for you in the gate, make note of the gates that are usually camped and be always aware when you go through there. There is a chance that a corp is living there and often camping the gate just for fun (remember, the bigger your KB is, the bigger is your Penn…)
4 - As I said, Industry/Mining/Hauling Operation as solo player in low or nullsec is ■■■■■■■■ due to risks, but since you’re looking for this, do use cloak and pray to not get instalock.
5 - This is the most important. You don’t need to have a second acc. When you’re going through a gate that is camped (when you’re almost sure of it), leave your ship in nearest station, get your capsule and go there take a look. Then go back and take your ship and keep the travel. If you’re unsure of everything, do your entire travel first by capsule

Victor
we already told OP that there are may soluces to prevent from being killed in a gatecamp, without needing a second account.

but, as Runa wrote:

Every body forgets about gate cloak. You have hole minute to decide what to do. To brake gate, warp off or attack. It is the great amount of time. Ccp present it to you for tactical and strategic designs. Also you appear in random spot near gate all if this is completely enough for your safety

After 156 posts I can see why this guy doesnt have anyone to scout for him

2 Likes

Multiboxing is an issue all around and I see your point. I guess the only reason I still disagree with the idea of having an in game tool to check the other side of a gate is that I wouldn’t want to see gatecamps completely removed from the game. I think they’re sort of realistic and they’re completely in the spirit of eve.

Since I can’t agree with the idea, I can at least offer the following advice:

When I started basing all my activities in lowsec I basically bought duplicates of the battleships and carriers I use and put them in each system that I mission in or run dedsites in. In that instance you can bet your ass I used a scout. However once they were positioned, I haven’t had a need to scout again because I typically hop systems in something fast or something disposable. And I haven’t lost a pve ship in years either.

What I’m saying here is, I’ve accepted that I simply don’t get to fly around lowsec in a battleship. It’s just a fact of life out here, one that you have to accept.

Lastly I wanted to mention that before I had an alt, I used to park my big ship at a station, hop into my pod, fly to another station, (this was before the board corvette button) get a rookie ship and scout for myself, and then fly back and get the bigger ship–all on one account. It was a pain in the ass but it worked.

1 Like

You can have more than one character on an account.

man, also gatecamper need the same - another account, so they can see whats on other side too…

so we are even…

peace

4 Likes