Has anyone else here had completely toxic experiences with /r/eve? BFR is fake there

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

1 Like

Indeed, being autistic is not an excuse for being an arsehole.

1 Like

FIFY.

That’s not actually true for everyone and it has nothing to do with maturity.

Some people will dwell on it for hours, days, weeks, months and even years in some cases.

So when people say that personal attacks (typed/or verbally) over the internet are freedom of speech and don’t effect anyone, they’re quite wrong.

Another misconception is that the person is attention seeking or after sympathy that’s probably the furthest thing from their mind. It probably more of an attempt to cope with their communication issues by letting others know of those issues.

Topic Moved to Out of Pod Experience

Not everyone of course. And the guy that the OP quoted in his original post here is definitely a twat.

But there were people engaging with him civilly that got nothing but acrid responses from him.

1 Like

Yes, of course such people exist. They need help, instead of forcing everyone else to be nice to the minority of people who can’t handle real life. That’s simply how it is. I know how cold this may sound to you, but when the end result is “everyone needs to pretend to be nice” then that’s not a good solution. The good solution is to make sure that these people get help, not play the victim just so everyone else does what you want.

It’s solely about the OP. There are people with problems who aren’t assholes, who get a completely different reaction. The OP is a princess with more problem than just being a princess, but his approach of dealing with it is the approach of a princess that keeps crying louder and louder until it gets what it wants.

When there are people who have problems with words, then the problem still aren’t the words. What hurts the person is how he/they got raised into a life where he can’t handle words spoken or written by others. The problem isn’t on the surface, it’s beneath the surface. The problems aren’t created by the words, but by whatever caused the person to be unable to deal with them.

When you have tooth ache, taking pain killers doesn’t actually remove the tooth ache. It just removes the perception of the pain. When you have problems with words, then running away or trying to make the words go away doesn’t solve the problems either.

1 Like

Thank you for providing the full story.

As I suspected, OP got piled on for being a dick to begin with then cried foul when posters went for the low hanging fruit.

There is a wider debate emerging these days about the damage that social media can do if left unchecked. This issue is much wider than this. After the Cambridge Analytica Facebook scandal a few years ago, more and more people are realizing that you can’t just let social media platforms operate unchecked, but it will take a long time for things to improve. We are slowly learning as a society how to deal with the harm that social media is causing, but we have a long way to go.

Just remember that your post will attract people who are already hateful, so it gives a false impression that everyone is against you, it’s just that the idiots are usually louder.

You try to make a reasoned point and then people will pull you into an emotional argument. It’s really difficult to avoid being sucked in, but you made your point, so don’t let the ensuing comments upset you, because they always will if you let them.

interesting that my thread ( Tackling hate speech, fostering mutual respect and countering the tyranny of the majority ) was just shut down but this one is allowed to go on. apparently relentlessly bullying someone with autism is ok to the moderators but talking about cider isn’t…go figure…

yeah they can, but they shouldn’t

OP had a top level comment at over 50+ points that was deleted and most of my others comments have since been deleted you can’t see anything even remotely related to a full story…

I’m trolling? Because I share my own struggles? You’re the one right now attacking someone for having a disability. Grow the ■■■■ up

It’s an analogy, not a strawman. You are asking someone to do something they have no control over, it is exactly the same as asking someone in a wheel chair to stand up, or asking someone with parkinsons to stop their hand from shaking long enough to sign their name. You can defend it all you want, but it’s insulting, and you’re acting like an asshole .

And polite conversation is people telling me im faking it? You suck

Last but not least you… You seem to think im some spoiled little kid who had everything handed to him by his parents. Think again. I was a poor kid who raised his younger siblings and put him self through college. You’re filled with hate.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner! Thanks for showing me not everyone here is trash

You could 6 days ago. Helps to be timely.

You have absolutely no control over any aspect of your social skills? Or your ability to communicate? I know there are aspects of autism that are just pure inability to connect with someone, but there are social skills that autistics can pick up with time and effort. They of course don’t mean “just turn your autism off”, but to fight through the uncomfortableness of socially interacting that I believe most autistics feel. Forcing yourself to do something you don’t like, interacting, is no where near the same thing as someone with Parkinson’s person just stopping their hand from shaking or someone paralyzed in a wheelchair from standing up. Now if you don’t have a problem interacting with people and there’s some other problem that your autism causes, maybe you could have explained that to them instead of yelling.

Here’s some quotes from people that you continued to yell at:
“I think he means that you force yourself do do something that you aren’t comfortable doing for a short time. This is actually called emersion therapy and is actually already used in trying to teach people to cope with autism.”

“There are obviously different levels and I am sorry if I am offending you in any way, I was just trying to explain what I hope he was suggesting. You never know if you don’t even try though imo. Worst case scenario is you can’t say anything and you explain yourself later, best case scenario is you suprise yourself.”

"If you’re in a leadership role that requires you to be a diplo you kinda have to overcome it for the short period you’re on coms with other diplos.

It’s like your first times doing PvP: As long as you act cool and your voice doesn’t crack, noone can see you shaking like crazy.

And if you need a break just say someone is on the door or someone is calling or whatever."

"Redshirt guy managed to get on the microphone as ask his question in front of a world audience. Did it sound somewhat weird? yes. Did he manage to get his question out to the WoW devs? Yes.

Of course there are different kind of severities, but just answering with the usual “you’re ignorant”-stick is just lazy. At least try.

I mean, if you’re in a wheelchair why try to climb stairs when there is a ramp nearby. If you can’t do it, appoint a diplo and have him talk to your neighbors."

“He’s talking about the ability most people have to suppress feelings for short periods of time, for example, nerves when you’re giving a speech at a wedding. Of course that’s more difficult for autistic people to do, but there’s no need to jump down his throat over it dude, that doesn’t do anyone any favours.”

Not one of those people are saying you’re faking it. Maybe they don’t understand YOUR brand of trouble. As you pointed out, autism presents itself in many different ways. The worst thing they did was be ignorant of the finer points of autism. Lots of people have problems communicating and being social, even people who don’t have autism. They saw someone having trouble interacting and, maybe because they empathize or they too have trouble interacting with others, and wanted to offer some friendly advice. You had the opportunity to educate them and instead you berated them. You don’t like the advice they’re giving you because it’s ridiculous or basic? Tell them “Hey, I know you don’t know this, but I’ve actually been living with this for 30+ years. I’ve heard and tried everything under the sun, I know what I am doing. Sometimes I can fight through it, other times the autism is too bad. Appreciate the advice, but please, I got this, just needed to vent.” Or some flavor it. Cause I guarantee no one is going to take the time to understand you or sympathize/empathize with you when you respond to them with vitriol and sarcasm and calling them rude, condescending, and names.

no, I’m attacking you because you’re being a jackass.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.