Help Make EVE Beautiful

I have my settings turned down a few notches, i run the client in almost 4k windowed and when i reported earlier that my gpu hit 84C i had the settings up to max, load on gpu at the time was 75-95% ish, not looking at fps all that much, but seemed like normal if i just go by feelz.

Now my computer does have a Quadro card with 16 gig GDDR5X memory, not sure how that will change loads/temps and such since the card is not primarily for gaming, but at $2800 i can’t afford to have a gaming rig to, this rig is around $10000 when i bought it in 2016 with the gfx + 5k monitor.

And then here is the view of my keepstar in Gultratren Heimatar low sec, colors does seem a tad bit pink i think, and yes it is bright but then i am fairly close to the star.

In both shots you can see the amount of stars in space, looks kind of nice i think.

The backgrounds and planets look better on SISI, but I think stations and ships look better in the current version.

The shadow side of stations looks too bright and reflective on SISI. Where you would get a nice silhouette on Tranquility you get reflective surfaces that break up the silhouette on SISI. I think this also hides details like the little lights.

The top image is Tranquility and the bottom image is SISI. See how all the little lights are gone and the silhouette is much less pronounced?

It looks weird to have the sun on one side of the station and then have bright surfaces that point the other way. The first screenshot is Tranquility and the second is SISI. I think The first one looks more natural and detailed. The second one looks like I turned my graphics down.

5 Likes

With this graphic update to help keep Eve “up for a thriving third decade”, I’d really like to see an FPS ‘cap’ or slider of some sort, something practically every other game has. Yes, yes, I know that I change from from Interval Immediate to Interval One to change from an unlimited frame rate to my monitor’s refresh rate, but as of now, I don’t believe there’s any option to change lower than your monitor’s refresh rate.

I have come across an article that mentions having multiple monitors will “divide your primary display’s refresh rate by the number of monitors and limit the FPS to that number instead.” but I was unable to get this too work.

Nevertheless, having a somewhat “modern” feature of an fps slider or cap to prevent Eve from rendering at unneeded high frame rates would be a great feature to add in this update, especially as it’s already 2021…

I believe you can do this in your graphics card’s utility, but it’s been a long time since I’ve had to do this. I know AMD Radeon settings has a way to do it per game.

These low res nebulas getting brighter really throws everything off

4 Likes

Firstly, does this put an FPS cap only on Eve, or does it cap everything… Secondly, even so an FPS slider of sorts is still pretty “standard” among games in this day and age… at least in my experience.

Can’t think of a modern game that doesn’t allow me to cap my fps

I’m not in the Forge that often that I have a good comparison, but on the test server the skybox of Jita is a bit too bright to my tastes.

Also, I can barely see the plotted route at those bright spots, which is a shame. Seeing my route and getting a sense of direction in the universe really amazed me as newbie (and still does today).

Some objects are too pink. There is no reason this moon should be pink when the star is orange and the clouds are golden yellow.

7 Likes

Look, don’t get me wrong here, I love the Golden Amarr empire… but the clouds are already too bright when the camera angle is full on them, and making them even brighter is a BAD idea! why not focus on toning the brightest clouds down and just making them look more interesting? Like, idk, suggestions of shapes so they have cloud animals in them?

You can do it per game. I had to do it for Risk of Rain 2 because the main menu would run at 1000 FPS and crash.

I can count on one hand the games I know that let me set a specific FPS in the game’s settings - most have a limit in the form of vsync. I wouldn’t mind more games having their own setting though.

Poked on SiSi. Liking what I see mostly. :slight_smile: Stations look very cool wwith the new rendering.

Some planets render funny, like the continents are painted on or float in clouds or something (this is Matar).

1 Like

Omg please dont make the gas clouds brighter i already have issues see my mouse cursor against the bright backgrounds when going through some gates

2 Likes

the recent beautification of the planets for PI has made it very difficult to work with. on a lava planet, the intense graphics make the extracctor heads and the links almost impossible to see. while i appreciate the aesthetics of beautiful planets, functionality is important. how about a “plain” or neutral mode during the actual work on the planets to make your network more visible. Also, the scan results are dramatically impacted by the highly colorirized planets. same suggestion, a plain or neutral mode for the survay scan function.

3 Likes

I agree with several of the comments here and add,

• the grey on stations helps to maintain an appropriate metallic appearance
  • planets&moons need some serious attention, and also need to be comfortable to use with PI
  • the space clouds don’t need to be effectively brighter, especially when some are already too bright

As much as we enjoy our colourful beautiful space, in some areas it’s too much and it doesn’t feel like we’re in vast open space anymore, it’s more like a brightly painted room - so we don’t really need a lot more paint.

1 Like

it will be $4.99 if you want the old graphics back

3 Likes

The harsh silhouettes in space are a great part of this already beautiful game, please consider keeping the back-lighting and shadows on objects in space instead of filling in the shadows.

But thanks for continuing to work on these amazing graphics!

1 Like

Hello Please consider the above requests from people who have spent time on the test server.
I do agree, brightness does not equal better.

An option to help this would be custom ship shaders. They could be set on activation and could have a variety of different versions. Not to take away from the main skins, but these would allow some extra colors in the vastness of space. To change the custom shader it would need an additional activation to overwrite the base setting. They could be used on structures as well. To prevent lag, they could load clear initially and be turned off by players who can’t spare a second for the palette to apply or maybe show all ships in the same palette with the custom shader to avoid needing to load multiple. Or skins could be expanded and made more common, but that kind of takes away from skin collecting.

De gustibus non disputandem est etc, we all know that. But you wanted honest feedback.

Here’s something that has been bothering me, and others, for years now:
we begged for the glare to be reduced, you didn’t reduce it
we prefer space darker overall, you made it brighter
examples just taken a few minutes ago on SiSi

1. Caldari Prime sky as seen from the planet surface ? Nope, it’s space near Jita …
  2. Minmatar space near Rens just got overwhelmingly more orange, thankfully not overly bright (it’s the exception)
  3. If this were audio, one would call that distorted. Gallente Dodixie, contrast is just overdone.
  4. The golden pillars of creation instant soup of Amarr
  5. Thera … it would be an excellent background for microsoft flight simulator

All screenshots taken with max zoom out and with Brightness in the client set at around 30 on the slider…

The game has completely lost its space feel, but was turned into an aquarium fitted with an underwater spotlight.
Just my opinion of course. But you can tell I really do not get the space theme in most parts of the game save in the abyss.

5 Likes

As people seems to cover the space, I was more struck by inside the stations.

Note : I have a Geforce GTX 1070 with driver 461.40, settings set to “high”

Caldari : Nice for the interior. I can better see the details of the walls, feals warmer. However, the lighting on the ship is dimmed a lot. I can understand to some extent backlighting when I look from the very top of the ship, but it still feels weird that the hangard is brighter and the ship is left in the dark. There are 4 light spots pointing at the ship, but it doesn’t feel like it.
Tranquility:

Singularity

Tranquility, from top

Singularity, from top

Amarr : The Amarr empire must be broke and can’t pay it’s electricity bills. Its dark, reddish, and we can’t see the details around the catedral-esque windows (and similar for the natural skin of the Amarr ships who appear really reddish.

Tranquility

Singularity

Overall, because of this, I’d say I prefer the in-station on Tranquility.

I don’t have time for Gallente and Minmatar (and not imported yet).

2 Likes

And here I was -hoping they would make space dark and creapy, nebulas much more faint, so you get the impression they are far far away.
But hey…

2 Likes