Help Make EVE Beautiful

While I like the colours, I feel the bright is too bright and the dark is too dark. Some planets are nearly completely black, while some nebulae are so bright that I don’t even feel like there is some bright light source (star) nearby as the nebula is brighter. And it makes the lighter UI elements (system name and such, route plotted on the skybox) nearly invisible.

The Amarr station interior is too dark, some of the others as well.

1 Like

The nebulae have always been beautiful, there’s no discussion about that part of artwork. The point is that you introduced completely unbalanced lighting, in some systems the nebulae are even brighter than the suns (have a look in Jita). You do know that space nebulae cannot produce more light than the stars irradiating them ?

Inside the stations you opt for total visibility of the interior and forget the ships. The worst one is the Amarr environment, which lost its mystery and became a hangar with strange windows instead of a majestic, cathedral-like station. And is it really necessary to get that fog effect when completely zoomed out in Caldari stations ?

No, pushing a brightness slider up is not an improvement, it’s terrible.

Make space dark again instead of pushing every stupid little pixel onto our retinas.

2 Likes

The brightness is not beautiful, and it makes using the UI difficult.

And when you’re tracking something with the camera, the bright background is tough on the eyes, almost strobing.

1 Like

masking a contrast boost as a graphics update.

you’ve gone from milking an empty udder to beating a dead horse.

stahp

It really need new background textures for space. You have made it looking like sky. It’s loosing a space feel. Not a good sign for space mmo.

2 Likes

I wanted to chack out wormhole space but couldn’t find any. Granted I soend zero time in SiSi.

I’m no expert on WH space, but I think you can use the /moveme command in chat to automatically be transported to some systems, including WH space. See here for details:

1 Like

The /moveme command indeed works and can send you to for example Thera if you want to see wormhole space.

Seems like there has been some changes, my keepstar is still bright but less so and it does not seems as pink, and i can see some shadow on it now, the orange star is to the left in the image.

Ok, just tried my Gallente and Minmatar.

Gallente
In station. On Singularity, the station ambient light is more orange, and that lighting hides some existing details on surrounding walls. But at least, the lighting on the ship isn’t altered much, and we can still see the cheap plastic look of the Gallente ship’s default skin just as good as on Tranquility. I would say I’m neutral on the change for the Gallente station’s hangar, as one could like the new color, despite the loss of details.

In space: I’m in Clellinon (rookie system). At first when undocking and zooming out, my reaction was Wow! It sure catch the eyes. But then, on the practical side of things… Is this system right in the middle of a nebula? Clouds everywhere ! They are so bright I can’t see if a module is cycling or not while doing a combat site (ambiant light is white/green, and the modules cycling color is green). I have to move the camera around to find that one small dark region where I can “sit” and see my modules, or the overview, etc. In combat, this can make things very difficult, as you have to chose to either move the camera to see where your opponent is moving vs move the camera to see which modules is available for activation or already in cycle. It could be very specific to Clellinon though, as I don’t see as much clouds in Luse (1 jump away) or not an issue in Couster or surrounding systems. Good thing I’m done with the career agents and moved out of Clellinon already for regular agents missions and combat sites. The solution for the newbros in Clellinon will probably be to mindlessly group all weapons and only shoot one target at a time.

Minmatar
In station: I was in Eystur Vi - Republic Justice Deparment, on both TQ and Sisi. The difference is little, but it appears darker and more foggy, with less details on Singularity. I would not call that “improvement”.

Outside station : I don’t have much time to travel around, so just commenting for the outside of the station on Eystur VI. This system is also surrounded with clouds of gas everywhere. It is probably also located inside a nebula. But contrary to Clellinon, the darker reddish tone of the clouds does not interfere whit the hud at any moment. I like the more vivid red of space here, and I think the planet being darker just make more sense as this is the night side, though some light reflection on the station don’t make much sense as it is in the shadow of the planet (same as TQ though). But it is shiny, so why not…

2 Likes

In space, those shaders look really good! I appreciate this new stuff!

But in station… sorry, but this would ruin my complete experience. My Rokh with the blue front skin (sorry, forgot the name) looks so unreal and comic like…
I really hope you won´t change that or put some effort in the “inside” shaders. Station interior looks so damn good, but the ships are just awful.

Oh man. This is half of what I do in Eve. (And enjoy). I really really hope they make some changes to the new effects less annoying for PI. PLEASE.

Dray Cil

I like the old colour schema better, sorry. Sigh

And it really looks like they need to bleach the mold off that wall to the left.

1 Like

Hello. Space looks static. There is not enough star twinkle. It would make the environment more alive.

Lots of positives to this change but needs lots of work still:

*Ships are too dark both in space and in station - even when I try to orient the side of my ship towards the light to see more details; skins don’t show up as nicely as a result.
*Nebulas are too bright/generate too much bloom around the ship.
*Effects/shadows around citadels leave things looking much less…natural?.. than on live.
*Not a fan of how “foggy” certain interiors are now looking, like Jita and super hangers.

~ I absolutely love how much extra detail I can see with this change, things just look better overall. Will be a great change to the game once it’s all dialed in.

Looks OK. If you want prettier scenes how about you randomize the orientation of asteroids at missions sites. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you for taking some time into improving the graphics of the game.

There are some things that I would like to mention since I love to stare at planets for hours.

I will take this opportunity to ask… Why none of the planets in Eve have poles? Even Mars has poles.

The improvement can be seen, planets are now move beautiful. But they will only look this good when looking at them while zoomed out… The moment we zoom in a little bit, the blurry of the textures is very noticeable.

We have made a damn good job with lava planets. As for the gas planets, they look a little bit too simple, I am pretty sure we can improve them a little bit by adding more color to them.

Please take a look at Jupiter… it is not only three layers of colors. There are many details that can be applied to gas planets.
You can also create gas planets like Neptune, planets with one or two main colors, but that look beautiful.

Now the great suggestion… the Stars…
A star is an object that is TREMENDOUSLY bright, if we try to image the brightest thing ever, it would not be as bright as the sun while looking at it from 100k km. Stars are beautiful just like they are now, but if we could adjust the brightness level that it puts over sizeable objects like citadels, it would look good.

I think this one is a little bit more demanding on terms of developing, but if we could give the nebulas a little more more of detail and beauty… Imagine you are replicating the pillars of creation, give the art team time to create something beautiful.

And last, this one would involve a little bit of gameplay. But I think there should be a point in which you can no longer approach more a planet. It does not make sense that you can literally bump a planet and touch the sun. Improve a little bit the textures of planets and moons when you are very close to them please.

Has anyone actually tried to do something or are you all just taking screenshots. The background is so bright it washes out the UI and makes it difficult to see what you are doing.