High Sec issues I have heard, from both new & old

GOAAAALLL…er…what?

You can’t just move the net.

Coach!!

Seriously though, EvE is about player competition in all aspects.
PVE is one of those aspects.
Pew-Pew is another.

Those are two different things!

The game can be competitively minded and still need players to interact with the environment to accomplish stuff. They just need to watch out for others, whether in gathering resources, stopping them from gathering resources (or getting stopped), or selling those resources.

Competition is intended - and how people go about “winning” the competition is up to the players. They can shoot a rock, a player, or a rat, or they can play the market, scam in Jita, or build Empires.

PVP (as in pew-pew) is just one method. Competition (the broad definition of PVP) is the goal.

–Gadget uses both

That’s what I wrote, so yes.

However, you claimed it was all about pvp and there are hundreds of google results that support that, yet it isn’t even supported by the words of CCP on this very site.

Hmm funny, I would have thought that too. But last night, the fleet I was part of, total of 10 guys, managed to clear the grid of a fleet twice our size, in ships half the cost. Because our FC knew what he was doing, and theirs didnt.

Instead of talking to Gadget and Others.

I hate to break it to you Auto, but money is all that matters to any game company. If they aren’t profitable, they shut down the servers and it’s over.

I do remember one guy who seemed really passionate about making a great game. Last I checked, he’d pulled in $175 mil or so and still hasn’t delivered a real product.

The Trolls are taking a Holiday??? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Oh well, I’m sure that after their holiday and a nice long, vigorous shower in which they desperately try to wash away all the things they’ve been doing, asking themselves what they’re doing with their lives and wondering if they still have a shred of humanity left, they’ll be back tomorrow and they’ll no doubt need someone, something, to troll.

Let’s look at this post, in which someone demands that I cite a source for a statement that I have made, even though the post in question begins with a quote from another player saying the same thing BUT this particular person NOT only does NOT use any quotable, citable source or reference, but this person speaks as if their feelings and interpretations are more valuable than objective facts or citable sources!

That’s NOT an objective fact, or citable source. That’s pure subjectivity. Nothing but saying “Pah-Taa-Tah” whenever anyone says “Puh-Ta-Toe”.

That’s NOT an objective fact or a citable source! more subjectivity!

These statements are NOT objective facts either!
And then comes this bizarre statement >>>

I don’t doubt that for someone who thinks their own opinions are more important than objective facts and citable sources would HAVE TO conclude that “how things are named and defined” is irrelevant! Because the objective world certainly is IRRELEVANT to YOU!

Its quite unbelievable that someone would demand a citable source for something that is generally known, and then act as if their own statements not only need no confirmation, but DON’T EVEN HAVE TO BE BASED ON REALITY TO BE ABSOLUTELY, UNDENIABLY TRUE!!!

1 Like

Fact One: CCP markets EVE Online as a PVE game.
Fact Two: CCP doesn’t want or intend for players to engage in PVE!

So far, it all checks out. You asked for a citable source!
And then …

but not any objective facts or citable/checkable sources or references.

Seems they can only handle a few sentences at a time.

1 Like

Fact one, sure. There are plenty of examples where marketing includes PVE. No problem. It’s also marketed for a range of other aspects that give EVE the depth it has (eg. metagame aspects are often included in marketing, fleet comms and large group organisation, etc.). There is a lot of different marketing, and PVE is definitely part of that.

Fact Two though?

In game and from on-going development it’s clear that PVE is a huge focus in the game. So how is it a fact that CCP doesn’t want or intend for players to engage in PVE?

Opinion sure. We are all entitled to them. As a fact though? On what basis?

Tag Team Trolls!

First, I didn’t say or even imply that PVE was the ONLY thing CCP Markets EVE Online as.

Second, the “Fact Two” has already been questioned and proven to be fact in this very thread! the fact that the local trolls do not read is not my problem. If you can’t be bothered to scroll up and read, stop talking. stop taking up space with your childishness.

No one wrote that you did.

Rubbish. Nothing has been proven in this thread or any other that:

CCP doesn’t want or intend for players to engage in PVE!

Even the New Player FAQ contains a lot of encouragement for PVE (pp. 23-33):

The only fact is, your claim in “fact two” is factually wrong.

They do.
PvE is as crucial for the economy, as is PvP.

Its just that all PvE activity happens in an omnipresent PvP context.

3 Likes

Well, that’s ok. Wouldn’t be mine then, since I provided evidence to substantiate that you are wrong.

Now, where is this evidence proving you are right, which doesn’t exist in this thread?

A single piece of evidence (as linked above) that proves the opposite, completely disproves what you claim is a fact.

1 Like

thanks! for making the first NON-childish, rational statement this thread has seen in a long time!

However, your statement should read: “”…its just that all PvE activity …was/is intended…to take place in an omnipresent PvP context …“” and I would certainly have no problem agreeing with that. However, this is precisely what is at issue, what EVE Online is intended to be and what EVE Online actually is. It is the “…omnipresent pvp context…” which they fail, utterly, to establish. The presence and rule set of High-Sec, the NPC corporations and EVE Online advertising create and depict a game in which the PvE is completely separate from the PvP. CCP needs this confusion in its game and at the same time doesn’t want it.

Suicide Ganking wouldn’t even be possible in an “…omnipresent pvp context…”

That’s exactly how CCP see it.

No one has any problem with that. This is not consistent with your ‘fact’ claimed before. PVE is absolutely essential to the economy and pvp cannot really exist without the pve and vice versa.

CCP quite openly state that EVE is a fulltime pvp in a sandbox environment. PVP is the only compulsory element of the game, in that it is always present and the game allows it to be applied to anyone, whether they want it or not.

That however doesn’t mean CCP don’t want or intend for players to engage in PVE, and no evidence in this thread proves that statement to be fact.

2 Likes

Suicide ganking is an example of omnipresent PvP context, it just happens to have a PvE reaction from CONCORD.

2 Likes

CCP needs this confusion in its game and advertising because NO ONE would be attracted to or buy into what passes for “PvP” in EVE Online. Except, of course, for Cyberbullies and Trolls. Like one review of EVE Online says; “Don’t play EVE Online unless you like trolling or being trolled.”

1. The confusion is only on the part of players who either genuinely do not understand what EVE is/is not, or have not looked into it.

2. I understood, as much as I could at the time, what I was getting into in EVE.

You cant PvE in EVE, without risk of PvP.
This is not a difficult concept to internalize.

The specifics of engagement mechanics are, admittedly, very complicated and manifold.

I dont “blame” players for not understanding them. Even I still dont understand everything. No-one does.

2 Likes

100 posts were removed for being the personal Pissing match between a few players and off topic.

~Buldtah

2 Likes

Despite the valiant efforts of ISD Buldath, this particular train wreck is inevitable.

5 Likes

You are forgetting that this is a sandbox, not a spaceships world of warcraft.
Zero tollerance for stupid :slight_smile:

3 Likes