High sec Pirates

I don’t actually agree with the “you got outplayed” angle. It took 22 players to pop the Paladin. It dropped 140M. 22 players in Catalysts could have gotten a much bigger haul for their time. They also podded him. They could potentially have gotten a freighter with 22 catalysts. By all means, gankers aren’t required to be ISK-focused, but it doesn’t strike me as particularly masterful playing by the gankers. Nor does it strike me as particularly boneheaded by the OP. More like the gankers did something unusual, and potentially unwise, which was therefore unexpected.

That said, yeah, hisec isn’t safe. Honestly I think the problem is more that hisec kind of gets misrepresented as being safe. It isn’t safe, it isn’t supposed to be safe. It’s a place where you have certain additional protections, not a place where something must be wrong if you get popped. Maybe a better way for CCP to address the constant complaining is to emphasize more that hisec isn’t designed to be safe. Maybe even do away with the potentially deceptive high/low/null framing and make it more like “empire space, unclaimable space, player corporation space” or something (that doesn’t quite align with low sec technically having empire sov, but something like that).

2 Likes

If you’ve got kids, you know they fall down a lot and do you hold a child’s hand and guide them on their steps, or on the stairs - sure hope you do. Otherwise they’ll have a lot of bruises!

I agree with this, though haven’t reviewed the kill-board for the Paladin. But yeah, hi-sec is easily misunderstood as ‘safe-sec’. The early lesson I learnt was being destroyed on undock at Emperor, it’s happened a few times, and that comes the first time as a bit of a shock. The lessons in Eve are hard, and that’s good, I am not opposed to this - but the issue is about setting expectations. Or perhaps it helps for knew players to know we all go through this. There’s so many tricks to learn, safe spots, insta-docking, safe undocks etc.

1 Like

I’m glad your kids turned out, no sarcasm - parenting is a challenge, but rewarding. I just think maybe the tone of the forums, if we ease of this sadism as people face the steep learning curve, it might be a more inviting place. Nor do I know enough about the person to qualify them in the terms you’ve chosen.

I resemble that remark; growing old is mandatory, growing up is not.

7 Likes

That’s an awesome alt caption btw.

You know the best lesson I learnt, even after being absolutely demolished, unable to retaliate or defend a ship in a fight, sending to the other capsuleer who defeated me: GF (Good Fight).

That simple process helps accept the loss, the humility and taking it as a learning experience.

3 Likes

The OP will have been playing the game for five years come February. He was flying one of the most powerful ships allowed in highsec. You have to really stretch of new player for it to fit here.

I guess it may seem that way since he somehow ended up on the “Leveling my Raven” path and seems rather clueless of what game he is playing. Although his killboard does show him operating in low and nullsec so maybe he is less clueless and more just butthurt. Can’t really say, but whatever is going on here, the dude was just playing the “think of the children” card when he should know better.

4 Likes

Concur then, 5 years is a long time - people hiatus a lot though. I know I have, not this account but the predecessor was 2007. But still, if anyone operates in LS with any frequency, and is ill-equipped to deal with loss, and flies bling, that’s perhaps willfully ignorant. But, the issue as I read it, was his friends, although the loss of the Paladin, may be the precipitating factor in the post. 5 years is enough time to set expectations with one’s friends. I am also a strong believer in personal responsibility, but regardless - there’s some wisdom coming out in this thread, intentional or not by the original poster.

dear OP,
You are a member of an alliance that holds sovereignty and that seems capable of holding its own in terms of pvp. It seems to me that a lot of your issues could be solved by working from nullsec, where it will be safer because of a standing fleet and better intel. That would be the better choice, both for ratting and mining with higher end equipment.
You flew a shiny gank magnet, btw, not a good choice for hisec.

2 Likes

We don’t do this for isk. We do it to enforce the law, and prevent criminals from making free easy AFK isk. If you want to support our effort to take out the Highsec trash, then send me isk ingame, and I will credit your New Order treasury account.

ATTENTION: Farmers and Grinders - we will extirpate you.

4 Likes

I think the problem is that PvP in Eve is really bad. There are much better games out there if you’re into true PvP.

Eve should be better described as a combination of PvE and PvC - PvC being ‘player versus carebear’.

Sounds like a plan. Ganking high SP, expensive, ships, ships that actually have guns and tanks, is a much more noble pursuit than ganking newbros in T1 indys.

Just saying, it doesn’t seem like the OP necessarily did something stupid (aside, perhaps, from making this thread).

You wanted to say PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPVP. That would be more accurate.

I’m only one player, so it’s just PvP.

1 Like

No silly, I meant the killmail, which clears shows more then one Catalyst.

This is EVE. It’s a cruel place. Maybe this game isn’t really for you

1 Like

Congrats kids there’s nothing left but pvp, no victims, only other gankers waiting at gates. How fun is your game now?

Just to summarize, anyone looking at the feed and comments this post does - and hopefully to the one who wrote it. You can just look back on your killboard and observe the carelessness you had losing 2x paladins & and Nid to rats. Justifying you’re just not understanding the mechanics of the game is hardly a justifiable excuse to say the “Devs have a lack of care” towards the game.

Learn to love the game. This is a game about losing spaceships. Repeatedly. Rinse and Repeat. One of the very first lessons in EVE is if you can’t afford to lose it don’t fly it. And by undocking in a sandbox environment, you like anyone else is vulnerable to attack. We’re all on the same boat. Plenty of ways to avoid getting your ass dunked regardless of what section of space you’re in. GET GUD & PRAISE JAMES & AIKO.

2 Likes