How CCP could keep new players longer

Nowhere does this make any claim other than that this isn’t a PvP character, which is proven my zKill.
Your reading comprehension is bad or you’re just trolling.

Edit: additionally - I’ve never claimed that this character is an alt.

So you can’t back up your false claim?

That actually kind of describes what my guy did. Then war decs went away and so did the corps and the fun. Oh well.

Daily skill points > kill or be kill by another player in a non corvette similar level ship for your skill points. Twice as many points if you win.

1 Like

LOL. You made the claim first :smiley:

It’s ok bro. We get you’re too afraid to drop your “PvP char”.

You know what you did and why you did it. What blows my mind is people always do this and expect to be believed LOL.

Coddling new players isn’t the way to go. Insulating people from danger prevents them from learning the environment they’re playing in and the way they’re supposed to fit their ships. I see people that played years ago come back to the game and fit ships in a completely baffling manner. They never learned how to do it when they were new so they’re just taking shots in the dark with a five year old character.

2 Likes

today i got killed by a guy that have 14 kills solo

he refused to fight again so i would take 3 points …

but anyway a solid 7/10 to him

noobs have to learn doing , there no other way

amen brother

What people seem to fail to understand is that the game needs to be fun. Fun is not the same as winning, but losing when you never had a chance to begin with is rarely an enjoyable experience that a player will seek to repeat.

I don’t think suicide ganking has a huge negative impact on retention (as in victims quitting) because I don’t believe it’s ever been sufficiently prolific as to actually impact that many new players. I do think the reputation it has built up harms player retention and reduces the number of incoming players to begin with. I do think players that saved up for their first mining barge and then got ganked are at higher risk of quitting.

It’s that situation above. The barge never has an opportunity to win. It’s not a positive gameplay experience, except for the ganker who had zero risk of losing. Removing ganking from high sec probably just doesn’t move the needle - in either direction. The cost of ganking (in terms of isk/ships lost) is not statistically significant and isn’t stimulating the economy, and it’s probably not happening so frequently that it’s the primary cause of poor retention. It is however the thing that everyone constantly talks about and that everyone who’s ever considered playing Eve knows about.

2 Likes

That’s nonsense.

The barge wins by mining.

Greedy bears get ganked.

2 Likes

In this case it’s not wrong though…Non-combat ships win an encounter by surviving, every time a covops ship gets away from a gate camp he won that encounter. Because PvP is more than just shooting eachother in the face

In many forms on PvP there’s no shooting at all and in most cases there is a lead up to the encounter. NOT being caught/killed/stolen from/taken advantage of could simply be blind luck but it could and is also affected by previous choices, planning and effort.

Every time I buy something from the market that’s at a markup because of availability&location and my need/eagerness/laziness failed me to source it from a cheaper means or location I lose that PvP encounter, and the seller won. Had I put in the effort, in whatever way, to prevent me having/willing to buy at a markup I’d have won. And this goes for all competitive exchanges.

While Akio trolls a lot in this case it’s actually true: the miner wins by mining.

I’m curious, those of you posting your opinions on how to retain new players, have any of you recently done the NPE / Career Agent missions?

Yesterday while checking one of my alts, I noticed his Journal had mission #10 of the ‘Making Mountains Of Molehills’ mission series offered from the Industrialist - Producer Career Agent. That alt character of mine basically started the mission series 5 yrs ago and never completed it or any of the other Career Agents.

So I decided to complete that series and do the Exploration Career Agent series since it’s relatively quick. Currently I only have one more Agent to complete, the Soldier of Fortune Career Agent. But I’m getting ahead of myself and that’s not the point of my post…

My point is that while doing the Career Agent missions, the AIR Program would also activate time and time again (usually about every other mission completion), mostly giving the new player extra ISK, some modules, skill books, various expert skill systems and towards the end, a Destroyer ship, 1 PLEX and a choice between 3 different Destroyer ship skins for that 1 PLEX.

On top of that, the AIR Program also gave my character 50k SP’s for gaining 750 Career Points for completing most of the Career Agent missions (there’s actually 4 different SP rewards after gaining various amounts of Career Points). And I still have one more Career Agent to complete.

Now if you add in the Log-In and Daily Tasks rewards as well, new players have it super easy now compared to when I first started playing back in 2008.

As for ISK, my character got plenty of it during the course of playing. So much to where I could just buy the minerals and modules needed to complete the different Career Agent missions. Hell I even spent 2 mil ISK for a Caldari Navy Light Drone to put in my Venture which quickly destroyed the Rookie Pirate NPC’s while doing the Mining missions.

As for retention, I was actually intrigued and continued playing just to see what else I would get. Plus it was kinda comical to see the 2 AI’s, Aura and IRIS, interact between themselves.

In fact at various times Aura and IRIS would pop in and give advice and tips as well as info on the dangers involved with the various choices available to complete those missions. Not only that, CCP has also made it super easy for new players to understand and use the various UI elements to navigate their ship by highlighting the correct icon:

However there’s still a couple of things that could be improved upon but over all, I think CCP has done a very good job on the NPE. It’s been made super easy now for new players to get a good start and if they can’t get themselves established in-game now, then they definitely don’t need to be here.

2 Likes

Yup, it’s really decent atm compared to what it was, they put in quite a lot of effort. It’s still a missed opportunity in my eyes as I feel they should have reworked the tutorial/career framework itself instead of just patching it up.

Ps you can cheese the career points and give your account millions of SP. It’s incredibly boring and soul destroying but some folks added 20 mil SP to their account in a short time. I don’t think it’s been taken care of yet.

2 Likes

I basically tried to approach it as if I was a new player… with a bit of an advantage of course.

Obviously that advantage is my prior experience and knowledge as well as my alt char being Omega with over 14 mil SP’s piloting a T2 fit Rifter…

As for cheesing the Career Points, I didn’t see anyway to do that while running the Career Agents. I did check out the various options in the AIR Career Program though. I gotta say CCP definitely put a lot of work into that interface app.

But yeah, I could easily just run those AIR tasks and quickly gain Career Points to get those SP’s but that wasn’t the point of this…

Like I said, I mostly approached / viewed it as a new player and after going through most of it, I was impressed…

Course it does. The “win” is getting away alive.

Hard to do when you’re AFK mining tho :smiley:

And that’s the crux. People get ganked because most times they are not at the keyboard.

All the times I’ve been attempted on, I’ve survived because I took precautions, fit well and yennoe was actually playing :smiley:

They won’t listen to your logic tho, even tho it is correct :smiley:

I did it on an alt a couple of weeks ago actually (because the new intro was pretty attention grabbing).

It made me feel like most of the game’s missions are seriously overdue an overhaul, particularly regards set dressing. However, clearly, they have the capability to add much more on-grid NPC interaction to make missions much less of a warp in/pew pew/warp out kind of deal.

1 Like

LOL, cept it isn’t.

We all know you just don’t want ganking so you can AFK more.

Oh. Speaking of that, did you find where it says being AFK is a core tenet of EVE or

I think you have missed the mark, Gix. Lucas wants to get rid of gankers because he sees them having all sorts of fun and he feels jealous of them.

she might be talking about the fact that if you biomass a character slot every 2 days and 10 hrs and create a new one…you can earn SP enough to fill 15 injectors, and somehwere on the order of 540 million Liquid ISK in 30 days…at least till CCP says doing so is an exploit…i petitioned back in late August and was told its not at this time to do this…but they are keeping an eye on it.

So let me get this straight…

You’re saying have a second character on the account run the AIR tasks to collect up a bunch of Career Points to get the extra ISK and Skill Point rewards and then what, leave those rewards in the redeem queue for the main character to redeem and then what, biomass the second character, create another character and repeat the process?

Meanwhile the main character collects all the ISK and extracts the SP’s which is then sold on the Market for more ISK?

I don’t know, I may be mistaken but that doesn’t sound like what she was talking about. It also sounds like a lot of extra hassle.

ROFL.

Cept it isn’t. Just like how most ganking wasn’t done by alphas.

It’s ok bro.

Did you find it yet on the box or

Or did you figure out the meaning of overpowered yet or