How CCP screwed over half the participants in the Triglavian Invasions Chapter 3

At least the Edencom pilots can grieve move on. The pro-trig guys are all stuck in Pochven, grinding standings, hoping for something amazing to happen there.

If we could just do the ā€œshoot one drone to opt outā€ thing, at this point Iā€™d be happy with it, to be honest.

Itā€™s not so much what the rewards are. Itā€™s the principle of it; if you run a two-sided event with a known outcome that favors one side, you donā€™t then just punish the other for existing.

1 Like

Resetting all negative trig standings to 0 but keep the positive would have been a minimal solution, and maybe still is. CCP missed the opportunity hard when they reset the drone exploit.

3 Likes

Six months since the OP.

Not only is the Edencom situation the exact same as it was, but also everything else on the story seems to have been simply dropped.

Before Chapter 3 a huge hype was built up about finding out more about the Triglavians, how they tie up to the EVE universe / drifters / drones, and how CCP supposedly had strong lore on this only waiting for to be published. Devs have kept on hinting about ā€œknowing something about the Triglaviansā€ that players donā€™t as response to e.g. complaints like the one in this original post, but nothing whatsoever has been released.

Assuming thatā€™s not just a ruse but that something more actually exists, whatever you are saving that information for, you gotta start asking yourself how long is it worth keeping the current players of your current game starved for lore and content?

5 Likes

It is usually referred to as ā€œhypeā€ not ā€œruseā€ - and there is no reason to think there is anything else to the story arc.

1 Like

Thereā€™s hype and then thereā€™s hype thatā€™s a ruse. Line between the two might be blurred at times but it still exists.

1 Like

I kind of doubt this was a grand scheme of CCP to punish players that aided Edencom. I tend to think it was more just a lack of planning/ foresight for what eventually happened.

That said, I could be wrong. So much of EVE is centered on griefing and some people are really that good at it.

To be clear, I donā€™t think that was the case, either. It sure sometimes feels like it, when the situation remains unaddressed (not even one visible ā€œwe hear youā€ as response to this thread or similar attempts to reach out elsewhere in six months kind of makes it difficult to have warm and fuzzy feelings about it), but no, I donā€™t think it was intended myself.

On the other hand, that situation adds a bit more credence to the idea it was intentionalā€¦just a bit more. It could however also be out of utter embarassment for not foreseeing the issueā€¦as well as embarassment for not being able to think of/implement a satisfactory solution.

In fact, I tend to think no one even realized there was a problem, but I have to agree with you that there is.

1 Like

Originally I believe they did not just realize (as bizarre as it might sound, I have reasons to believe CCP did not seriously expect a pro-Edencom faction to exist, when they started Chapter 3), but because Reasonsā„¢ I am 100% certain that for months now there is no way for CCP to claim they are not aware of the matter.

3 Likes

I guess in CCPā€™s world, if you donā€™t officially acknowledge that there is a problem, then there really isnā€™t any problem.:thinking:

ā€œMove along; thereā€™s nothing to see here.ā€
ā€œBut officer, it appears that someoneā€™s standings and rewards just got murdered!ā€
ā€œMove along or Iā€™ll charge you with somethingā€

1 Like

Sounds like all governmentsā€¦ which is especially funny considering a certain country is governed by a different CCP. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

CCP created an event with lasting effects based on the playerā€™s choice. Sure, some people got screwed because of the choices they madeā€¦ but Iā€™m not blaming CCP for it.

They created an event where players could make a choice that had actual lasting effects on the game. Isnā€™t that what players have been asking for?

Do I think they might need to ease the standing requirements for Pochven? Yeah, probably. Or maybe come up with a slightly easier way for people to get access. But Iā€™m not going to ā– ā– ā– ā–  on them for giving us what we asked forā€¦ and then people not liking the outcome they chose.

For the record: I never requested it.

1 Like

I am -4.5 to Trigs. I will never use Pochven. I can live with that choice.

I could gank my way to -10 and recover relatively easy, with a hit to my wallet. Even recover my -8 Gallente standings wouldnā€™t be out of reach. But this standings wall in the stations and gates in Trig space isnā€™t something I am going to ever tackle. Ever.

So, like the others who dutifully fought for Empire space, I receive nothing in the end. CCP abandoned us for our choice to defend the Empires.

Nice.

3 Likes

Choice is only meaningful when you know what the outcomes of each choice are.

That said, my point is not at all that Pochven should not exist, or that permanent changes to the game should not have been made. New content is great, involving players in deciding things is great. Itā€™s why we all got involved in Chapter 3, on both sides - we were lured in by the promise of it mattering and of being part of the story.

Rewarding players who get involved by shutting them out of any new content is where it goes wrong. If the idea is that we should have known from the beginning that only protrigs will get continuation content, think of what that will do for any future events of this kind - instead of choosing a side, should we all be guessing which side is the ā€˜correctā€™ choice if you want to be involved not only in the event but what comes after, and flock in to that?

Would that have made a fun Chapter3, every player interested in the event on the trig side, with little to no opposition?

3 Likes

Ummā€¦ no. Yes, in most video games you know the outcome of each choice you make; but most video games are not like Eve Online. In real life, I donā€™t know the outcome of each choice I make.

Do I know if the girl Iā€™m about to shag is going to get pregnant? Nope. Sure, I can manipulate the chances via birth control; but, noā€¦ I donā€™t know the outcome.

If I take that promotion at work or take a new job, will it work out? Nope. We all know plenty of people who took a promotion or a new job and ended up hating it so much that they wished they could go back to their old job.

Your premise is flawed.

Just because you fought for something doesnā€™t mean you get what you wanted. Ask any country thatā€™s been in a war. Just because you fight for something doesnā€™t mean you get rewarded for it.

Again, your premise is flawed.

Another flawed premise. We donā€™t know what would have happened if the EDENCOM players had successfully won the invasion. Some players speculate the invasion would have continued until the 27 systems fell. But we donā€™t know that for certainā€¦ some players speculate that if EDENCOM had won the status quo would have been maintained and abyssals would have remained the only Trig content. But we donā€™t know.

This question is based off of your flawed premises.

Iā€™ll concede they probably do need to do something to make entrance into Pochven easier. Maybe use the old corp standing, but put more weight on people in the corp in certain roles so they can carry new Pochven players in. Iā€™m not 100% sure on the solution, if I had one, Iā€™d present it. Hereā€™s what I know isnā€™t going to fix it: complaining about it.

I think the Trig invasion angle was so interesting because no one knew what the end results were going to be. If you want games where you can look ahead to see the end results of your choices, there are tons of games out there that have that. But those games arenā€™t nearly as interesting to me as Eve Online.

Make your choices, live with the consequencesā€¦ just like the potential consequences of shagging some girl.

A real life comparison is not appropriate here IMO, because video games are a caricature of real life emphasizing a positive feedback for as much players as possible. Especially if we are talking about scripted events.

BTW, we know what would have happened if Edi was more successful. Just look at Serenity. Liminality systems would have just been forced in.

1 Like

Rationalize it how ever you want, the fact is CCP admittedly did not anticipate people siding with Edencom and just did not design anything for that case. Abandoned the whole thing after Poch release.

Theyā€™re boasing their Friendship machine, how Eve is training people resilience. But what they did in Chapter 3 is an experiment in learned helplessness.

Itā€™s a game, not a job. Job is mostly extrinsically motivated, you may hate your job and still do it for the money.

Playing games is mostly intrinsically motivated behavior, if a game punishes you for autonomy and competence, which it did in Chapter 3, it destroys intrinsic motivation. They shouldnā€™t be surprised people quitting.

They should make a devblog how Eve was a clinical depression machine this time.

6 Likes