How do I prevent my orca getting ganked?

Back to Russia?

2 Likes

All I hear is a jealous little man, making an accusation without evidence.

Or…balance ganking. Maybe CCP should look at that?

Equals a declining player base…

Look @x123xxx the grindbear in his natural habitat…

When I bump your Orca 500 km outside of the belt, and you still haven’t tried to warp or do anything about it, you’re not just AFK, you’re comatose…

2 Likes

Nope, it equals working as intended; the fact that any player owned ship can be ganked in hisec isn’t a flaw, it was a design goal.

No ship is immune, not even the rare hisec capital ships such as the Veldnaught; whose owner is on record as saying any such event will be met with the response “well played”.

We did the maths on that one a while back, it’s doable with newbships given enough pilots.

The role of logistics and teamwork in the application of DPS is clearly OP.
/s

6 Likes

From what I’m seeing there is no way to prevent an orca gank.

When there is NOTHING you can do about it, then its a problem. There should be no action whatsoever that has no counter. Either preventive or active. In so far as I can tell, there is no way to prevent an orca gank except for - dont fly one, dont be where the ganks are. Marauder, indy, anything or pretty much every other gank can be prevented (fly to gate, fitting, eyes open, tank, mwd, etc). Not the orca or freighter. If the ganker does everything right, and brings enough people there is no escape, regardless of what the victim does. (except not be there)

Also from what im seeing, suicide gankers do this because they dont “agree” with the playstyle of other people, even though said playstyle is built into the game. They consider it boring, annoying, lame, or whatever. So what do they do? Prevent miners from having that playstyle and make them pay for doing it.

On the other hand, there is no way for the miners to return the favor.

While I agree that any ship should be killable / gankable in high sec, I do not and never will agree with the inevitability of it. No slow aligning ship can escape it really and thats a design flaw - its not a design goal. If its a design goal then its goal is for CCP to farm the loses for plex / cash. Not some ideological goal like “no place should be safe.”

1 Like

You can’t possibly be this obtuse. How many times do you need to hear “EVERY ship in hi sec is killable. Every marauder, every hauler, every thing”. I mined AFK in an orca for months and never even got targeted. It just isn’t that hard. Now whether it’s worth it is another discussion. To me it wasn’t, so i stopped. As a source of hi sec mining income I doubt it is worth it. But don’t whine that you should somehow be the only unkillable ship in hi sec. That’s a ridiculous assertion.

5 Likes

Basically, you arent asking “How do I avoid being ganked in an Orca” but “How do I win a battle in an Orca”.

Unsurprisingly, if you have a defeatist attitude from the start, you will be defeated.

Have you even looked at any Battle Orca fits?

Also if you are buying PLEX to buy Orcas, you kind of have the whole game upside down.

Ive 12 of the things and I never bought PLEX with money.

3 Likes

When you say there is nothing to do, this is just bait.
You are baiting people into explaining you how to survive.

It’s in the best interested of the community that we let you die, otherwise you will just become extremely rich and in the future you will be extremely obnoxious on Teamspeak gloating about how many capital bpos you have, how many carriers, how many alts, etc. That gives the miners the ilusion of knowing EVE.

Because it’s in the best interest of community having less toxicity then it’s best if the Orca pilots die over and over… if they learn the game and survive then it’s their own merit, it’s not hard.

Why should I teach you how to beat me in the long run?
If i teach you that then it’s my own fault.

If you go seek advice from the miners you will find out how amazing and knowleadgeable players they are.

5 Likes

That just doesn’t make sense as an internally coherent statement to me. I’m glad we both agree with the premise that every ship should be killable. That’s a good start to build a framework. My argument is, if you take basic precautions as outlined above and mine in a reasonable .9 or 1.0 system in a low pop system somewhere, you will need something like 20-25 ships to kill you, IF you aren’t paying attention at all. If 25 separate accounts somehow get the drop on you, shouldn’t that be inevitable?

6 Likes

Blinged out marauders and freighters get ganked every single day…

1 Like

You’re right, but there are plenty of ways of making sure that chances of it happening to you are so low that they may as well be zero.

I’m known for my industrial and PvE playstyle, haven’t been ganked since 2009. I rarely play these days but when I do, I try as hard as I can to make sure that getting ganked is something that happens to other people.

Use the existing mechanics to your advantage, the ability to highlight gankers in local via the standings mechanic is incredibly powerful. Know the maths involved in ganking, Concord response times, loot drop chance, the value of ships required to kill you etc.

In short know thy enemy, know who they are, what they fly, along with the how and the why of what they do.

Gankers will happily tell you how not to get ganked, they’ll even teach you how to gank in order to understand the mechanics and then apply them to not getting ganked.

@Ramona_McCandless how many of those Orcas did you steal? :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Yes, learn this phrase and type it in local when you see it spiking:
IT IS A GOOD DAY TO DIE in Klingon

Since one can easily fit a mining orca for <10-second warp off, if one is paying even a little attention, one is fine. If one is afk, one deserves to meet Bob.

1 Like

I build orcas and need to sell them, nothing personal - just business.
Ganking is simply a part of my marketing strategy.

8 Likes

Exactly, the wise industrialist knows that gankers are basically free marketing for their wares.

At one point I was selling Catalysts at less than cost to CODE., the profits from the raised demand for my other goods more than paid for it; they were pretty much a loss leader for me.

4 Likes

The tears are hilarious :smiley:

It is already tho :smiley:

Cept Mr Prime already said he didn’t quit due to ganking, but residue.

Keep trying tho :smiley:

People already told you how to prevent it. Please don’t tell me this thread was just a stealth nerfing ganking thread ROFL.

And people actually tried to help you. Dang man.

3 Likes

Only some! I swear!

The whole “Orcas are being nerfed” panic did help too.

2 Likes

Honestly the BEST suggestion that has been mentioned in this thread is to mine further from busy trade routes/hubs.

Gankers do not cover all of HS and HS is quite big. Unless you did something to really make someone dislike you and go hunt for you in some random remote HS system.

I think I have a good idea where players are concentrated in HS and regions that are generally empty/not scouted by gankers on a regular basis. Hard to do anything to save an orca if it’s getting ganked while using industrial core. Tank it as you see fit and pray. Other options include friends with ECMs or even Edencom ships I have seen used as anti gank stuff. Heard two thunderchilds messed up an entire catalyst fleet.

1 Like

Why should your Orca not be ganked ? You Orca people chew up asteroid belts at a prodigious rate and leave nothing for me in my Venture. So the gankers are doing me a favour.