How to configure the launcher for 64 bit version, How to configure the launcher for 32 bit version

Bummer… I could not get this to work. I opened a support ticket…

What I described is to fix the client launch failure (i.e. inability to launch the client at all) that may happen as a result of deleting the wine folder when configuring the launcher to run the client in 64-bit mode, not to fix any problems you may encounter while actually running the client if you happen to be able to launch it. Any such issues while running the client in 64-bit mode are supposed to have been fixed already if you’re using the latest version of wine…

Thanks for your input. I am having black background in Station and black PI screen and black ship fitting window issues on my Mac running the latest version of Wine. I tested and reproduced the results with a “clean” install of a factory download of Eve so I am at a loss for words here.

maxOS High Sierra Version 10.13.6

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, late 2014)
Processor 4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 32 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB

And for reference the 64 Bit setup was working prior to September 12, 2019.

Black screen behind UI Elements is a known issue and being looked into, is not related to wine as it is also occurring for Windows users.

The issue with starting clients after deleting wine occurs only if you start the client before the launcher has downloaded and updated wine (this is a bug, you’re not supposed to be able to). Switching between 32 and 64 will effectively cause then launcher to update the files that were locked the first time which is why that works if no client is running.

I had the exact same problem after following all steps to 64 bit, the launcher would not launch any account. It said it was starting up one account then message faded out and never launched. yes, I deleted Wine folder per the procedure. I retried, deleting cookie files and shared cache, same result. I restored 32 bit mode and game is working ok. The poster before said he uninstalled game and reinstalled.

So how do you uninstall on Mac? I see no launcher option to do this and googling just yields some app:

Is this safe to use and recommended?

1 Like

That’s exactly what I had to do. Just delete all the folders. The only thing I did not delete was the screenshots and overview folder (and log folders etc) because they reside in a different location.

To delete I simply went to the launcher preferences and ‘Reset options and cache’, then ‘shared cache settings’, then clicked ‘reveal in finder’ to show all the Eve folder locations.

I don’t recommend this if you can fix it with a bit more finesse, ie recommended steps from GM (above), but I really messed mine up and neither 32 or 64bit would launch so it was my only option by then.

Full re-install was a pain, had to configure overview and game settings again but it runs 64bit perfectly, again. Hope this helps.

@GM_Mechanic I followed your directions precisely. Instead of waiting a “few minutes” I set a timer for 30 minutes. When that timer was done, I attempted to start a game, the play icon turned to the grey stop icon, and I saw “Added 1 account to the start-up queue.” That stayed visible for about 15 secs, then it disappeared, the stop button turned back to the blue play button and no game was launched. Log gives me the BlueOS::Startup(): InitVerificationContext failed error. This is so frustrating. I should also mention that I’m on a synchronous 1 gbps connection.

Did you try switching back and forth between 32-bit and 64-bit modes without deleting the wine folder, as I suggested, to fix this launcher failure problem? You may need to manually choose the wine-1.9.17-…-ccp-master version when choosing 32-bit mode, then choose latest again when switching back to 64-bit mode.

I can’t believe that actually worked. Switching to 32 and selecting wine-1.9.17-… version, then closing the prefs triggers a download of the 32-bit, and when that is done, switching to Latest triggers ANOTHER 64-bit wine download somehow and that is the real fix. It sounds like the first time the 64 wine is re-downloaded, after deleting the wine folder, it’s incomplete. And like I said, I waited a long time… 30 minutes before trying to launch the game. @Knowledgeminer way to go man.

The 64-bit now starts fine for me and I seem to be able to warp around. I’ll keep playing and see if this remains stable.

The following issues however remain:

(1) Like reported above thought, also still have the black background issue in station, space, etc. This is only if either Auto-aliasing or Post Processing are on. If Disabled and None, UI seem to work fine.

(2) if I switch Shader Quality to High, the game freezes (need to kill).

This is on iMac Pro w/32 GB and Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB. Let me know if I can help further diagnose or you have any suggestions.

Another issue is black background in fitting windows (I can fit but do not see the ship in the center), and black background in the constellation or system map (can’t see the planets or lines connecting systems. This is true in any graphic mode.

Looks like this switch technique also worked for me, running in 64 bit finally in game. No issues so far. TY

works with just doing the first steps up to getting latest wine I think.

Where do you select

make sure wine version is set to latest or wine-4.15-Staging-whinehq-binary-207

I don’t see that as an option in the launcher.

It’s not in the launcher. It’s on the top bar of the screen near the Apple icon. Launcher preferences.

1 Like

Thanks Kalo,

After using the working 32 bit UI to set the Auto-aliasing to Disabled and the Post Processing to None and the Shader Quality to Medium I was able to run the 64 bit latest Wine functional for both in station and undocked modes without hang or black background issues other than the fitting window being black where it normally would show the ship.

Best regards,

Hagen

(also directed @Knowledgeminer)

So far I have avoided this fix, as I was more happy in potato-mode than not playing at all.

But today, after my launcher updated during play, I had the ‘10 seconds per frame’ issue again when I switched to another char.

If I delete the wine-folder, the launcher does update (the grey bar becomes blue).
Then I have the issue with not being able to launch a client.

So my question is towards the 32-bit/64bit swap:
do I wait 10 minutes after each settings-change? Do I need to exit the launcher and restart it? If so, each time?

This is all quite confusing…

As of today, following the last launcher update, I can’t seem to be able o switch to 32-bit client. I have 64-bit client unchecked and wine 1.9.17 selected, but I can see the client that is running is the 64-bit. If I flip back and forth, I do not see wine being downloaded or anything changing (the flip is instantaneous). This makes the game challenging to play given the remaining issues I list above. Any suggestion as how to force a switch to 32-bit client?

What I suggest to do only requires waiting for the progress bar in the launcher to complete after changing the preference settings. When it’s done, it’s done, and you should be able to normally launch the client again afterwards.

And you don’t need to quit the launcher either. Just open the preferences window, switch to 32-bit mode choosing the wine-1.9.17-…-ccp-master version, click OK for the changes to take effect, then open the preferences again to switch back to 64-bit mode choosing the latest version of wine, and click OK.