How to copy Photon UI settings between characters

So after being “opt-in” I have been adjusting to the Photon UI. It did a fair transition from my old layout. Small adjustments and I was making it work out.

Then I had a display adapter issue and had to reboot my computer. When I got back into the game my UI settings on that character were partially reset, windows missing and locations/sizes changed.

So I went to %appdatalocal% (on windows btw) and copied the character data from another known good settings (like I have done before). Unfortunately no change.

Where are the UI settings and can I replicate them between characters?

Thanks in advance

1 Like

topic up

Tried this? GitHub - FontaineRiant/EANM: Simple settings manager for EVE Copies both character settings and account settings across all your accounts.

CCP needs to add a simple import/export feature for ALL settings. As it stands currently, you need to possess a level of technical skill with your PC. I browsed many pages and still didn’t find the correct answer for my system. This is my best effort to help you clone all your character settings.

1. First pick a character as the default setup and get all the UI and setting tabs working the way you like them.

This is not only OS dependent, it depends on Steam or non Steam.
Windows non Steam Version
2. You will search for some DAT files within: c:\users\yourname\AppData\Local\CCP\EVE\c_games_eve_TQ_tranquility\settings_Default
The DAT files are prefixed with core_char and core_user, you should be able to do a wildcard file search to find them.
Windows Steam Version
2. You will also need to find the DAT files, however they are buried in layers under your Steam Library.
The default location of the Steam Library is; *C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps*
This gets a little different as they might be buried in;
steamapps\compatdata\8500\pfx\drive_c\users\steamuser\AppData\Local\CCP\EVE
Linux OS Steam Version
2. Linux doesn’t use drive letters so you will be looking for the hidden Steam Library off the Home Partition. You should be able to find them buried in the location of these using a simple file search on the core_user and core_char DAT files.

1. Move (don’t delete) the whole folder containing the default settings. My folder was labeled settings_Default. You can place it on your desktop or in another system folder. The point is, we need EVE to make us a new clean settings folder.

2. Jump back into EVE and open your default character game. Login only to the one character and quit the game.

3. Now open both folders side by side. On one side we have the old settings and on the other side is the new default. Look for only the files that match and copy from the old to the new, overwriting the new files. There should be only one core_user file and one core_char file with roughly 10 numbers following it. This is the master files. Clone these core files using the other numbered names.

For example;
core_char_ 5171234567.DAT is the only one in the new default. In your old default you have 6 characters;
core_char_ 5171234567.DAT - Only this one will be used as the master file to be copied to the others.
core_char_ 5179876543.DAT
core_char_ 5171212121.DAT
core_char_ 5176767667.DAT
core_char_ 5171454544.DAT
core_char_ 5171299999.DAT

1. core_user is the user settings and is handled the same way. If you have more than one you need to clone them otherwise the one core file needs to overwrite the new default.
  2. Finish up by moving any remaining files not duplicated into your new default folder.
  3. Play and inspect the game settings for all your characters.
  4. Remove the old default folder or keep it as a back up copy. It doesn’t take up much space and may come in handy.

Players should never be expected to be their own IT support. As stated, this is too much for any novice player and could be simplified by a button in game.

See https://support.eveonline.com/hc/en-us/articles/5885278408860-Profile-Management-Tool for a tool to do this.

Can you demonstrate or explain how to clone all settings from character A to character B, C, D, etc. using the tool? I have tried and this only seems to copy the current settings of the default settings folder. I have found no access to individual characters or even the core users. In short, all I can do with this tool is what I explained above in step three. Whereas a button label “Clone Current Settings” would be great.

Thank you.

1 Like

The strange thing is when I was forced to hard reset the computer the UI settings were lost/changed.

When I initially set everything up I specifically identified and labeled my character and account DAT files by duplicating and appending names to the end of the files.

core_char_ 5179876543.DAT was copied to core_char_ 5179876543_[CHARACTERNAME].DAT

On a couple of past occurrences it was necessary to replicate this information and this made it “relatively” easy to get the desired result and saved me a lot of time vs. making the same changes over and over on each character.

Strangely this time (post Photon UI) it did not work. Hence my question if this data is stored in these same files or elsewhere?

It could be possible my original labeling is incorrect and the data is not being copied to the correct character, so I’ll investigate that contingency too.

Has anyone successfully replicated Photon UI settings across characters?

Ok, with closer examination my manual copying of the DAT files was messed up. I was able to make the copy, now to the correct character, and the UI settings were replicated as expected.

Thanks to all who chimed in on this thread. It was a fat fingered problem by the operator.

Ah, I see what you mean, no the profile tool is per account, not per character. Reasonable feature request, but unrelated to Photon UI, would suggest we move this to Player Features & Ideas - EVE Online Forums

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.