How to get more people to play eve

No they have to decide for themselves that hey it’s a game and I just got bested… maybe this person can help me.

It’s not always like that. Often times I solicit my advice in the mail immediately and it’s returned with hate. I can’t see that type of player continuing to play if they view a learning experience like that. Loss is just loss unless you learn something from it.

I will also add that who I am I to deny you of what you think is fun or cool in Eve. I want a game where we’re free to play in this sandbox together as each of us wishes. My biggest point is that we should all accept that there will be varying levels of risk, loss, and hardship just as there are the good experiences.

Your supposed sense of how things were “back then”, is indeed quite warped, as if some kind of more “ethical” or “honorable” mindset towards noobs was so much around… haha

You do make us smile with that “I was also there when…”

People still tricked and kicked new players back then, just for the LOLS.

They still do it now, and they’ll still do it for quite some time.

And people will still moan and feel butthurt about their “bad” experiences, and construct whatever reasons or arguments they can on the forums to express it, whilst imploring CCP to change the mechanics, but all the while failing to realise the number 1 rule in this game:

You consent to PVP in any shape or form (social manipulation included), the moment you hit that undock button.

2 Likes

I both agree and disagree with some of your point. We should both be allowed to do what we think is fun, and rewarding. I’m too lazy to babysit drones, so I created a streamlined toon that has nothing but the skills I need to do what I planned to do. Like I said before, I don’t even salvage or loot the missions. That is a boring activity that is a time-sink. I don’t even have the skills to run a single salvage module, and I never will, probably.

From what I have learned from my numerous screwups with previous characters is this:

1. Decide what you want to do, what is fun. Make a plan to accomplish that.

2. Do not deviate from this plan, for isk/hr gains, or because people tell you you have to, you’re stupid for leaving all that there in the mission, etc, etc.

3. Pick one ship that you are going to get really, really good at using, the one that is most appropriate to your chosen activities. You might need two, if your activities are wildly different. Do not train for, buy, or be tempted to switch that ship for anything else. Get really good at it, and refit it for various tasks that you need to accomplish, yes, but never switch to training an entirely new ship with stuff you can’t use, yet.

4. Fly what you cannot afford to lose, initially. If you lose them while you’re skilling, then buy a plex and sell it for isk. Do not grind, grinding is a soul-rending experience for a newbie. Buy your chosen ship, again, make whatever changes to your layout so you don’t lose it so easily again, but you need this experience playing in that ship. It will be your nearly permanent thing in the game, until you have so many sp that you can branch out. This will be years off, if you’re smart.

5. Did I mention don’t be tempted? Don’t be tempted, by isk/hr, by mocking, by any means whatsoever to deviate from your initial plan, or you will have a toon that’s all over the place, skill-wise, and can do a lot of things, poorly, instead a few things, well. Such a character is a disappointment, and you’ll be sorry.

That’s my opinion on how to ‘win’ eve, besides the obvious answer of being fed up and just deleting the game.

I applaud you. You took something that you were interested in and adapted it to fit your expectations. I don’t see you having issues playing Eve Online. The attitude you have is something that more people should mimic.

Another old argument. Yeah I was fleeted once with a guy who said “watch this” and he was doing “free stuff” can bait right off the noob undock. Was blapping noobships once a minute. So much for “loot crate”.

Never saw him again after that though.

You do make us smile with that “I was also there when…”

Cut out that BS. It’s only you. What did you have a meeting just now, with my posts in a PPT? Gammaspeak is apparent.

You consent to PVP in any shape or form (social manipulation included), the moment you hit that undock button.

Not what you refer to as PVP. Make sure you bring that up in the next meeting.

The mastery guides that come with ship descriptions is a great feature and I have used them to great success. If only we had them before… oh wait that would have made the game “too easy”.

Old and valid.

Sorry that your conceptions of PVP differs from the one that most of the people logging in right now, expect to look out for, and are mostly all read up on.

I for one, and many others (hence the “us”…), do enjoy the possibility of being able to go to enemy territory in a instablap Legion, gnosis, nado…, and pop enemy ships off the undock/gate.

It is by no means as easy as some think to do, and you are by no means invulnerable.

It is also, not something one would do for very long time, as it gets pretty boring, and probably why you never saw that guy again in the first place. It comes and goes.

Imo, station camping is simply one of the lowest form of pvp in this game, but a pretty nice metaphor of the more sophisticated kinds of pvp encounters and traps you get find out about later on.

A noob understands this, he usually sticks around.

Most of the people logging in right now are considerable less than most of the people not logging in any more.
Maybe they can declare victory?

This cannot be correlated to just the PVP though, or anything to do BUT its unforgiving nature.

MMOs in general are an ageing / dying breed of games, hence the falling numbers.

Trying to denature a game to the point of it not being recognizable to anyone but a few disinterested teenagers, when its demise is mainly due to an ageing fashion problem, would not help it.

And numerous other reasons are cited. I still think the big blow was the customization of skill trees and gear with PVP “shooter” games but without the grind. WoT made fun of Eve in its early commercials and trailers. That advent of “PVP while you get more skills and gear to PVP” instead of “grind to PVP” is pretty much it. The harbinger was WoT but I think it was also notable how popular the customization in Halo: Reach was. And that game is still being played, it’s not even an MMO.

The one that pokes fun at Eve.

If we want to discuss player attainment and retainment, we can say that detainment model (time was invested so you can’t just throw it all away now, can you?) does not work because a lot of people who used to play for a long time do not any more. I met more titan pilots IRL who don’t log in any more than I have actually met in game. So that’s out. But you and I are also wasting our time if we focus too much on PVP or PVe for that matter.

What could have or should have happened? PVP got delivered far more easily by other games and genres with that player skill and gear customization that casuals just love the hell out of. I’m very spartan in my approaches so I can’t tell why. Every skin I have been given I never bothered to use.
What should have happened with Eve is either find a way to deliver PVP on the same platter as delivered by the others: PVP advancement while you PVP instead of grind or buy PLEX to PVP. Apparently greed won.
OR…
Make it such a rich MMO that nothing would compare. But it appears that some factions won over others, we didn’t get either. PVP is still expensive, but the chronicles, live events (the old way that were interesting) and novels are gone.

4 Likes

You are supposed to love it and get 2 more alt accounts now.

2 Likes

Financial results a best are the best indicators of what is right and what is wrong , same old story gamers vote by wallets !!!

There’s that word again…Sandbox.

Philoraptor%20EVE2

1 Like

Hey, I’m just using the words that CCP has used for years to market and brand their game. Have an issue with it? Take it up with them.

You mean adding value to YOUR sight how the game should be played…

The bottom line here is that your “eve is a pure pvp game” BS is vastly outdated and voted against with the feet of former players,something you deny and turn around in saying “the players leave because of less pvp”,which is complete crap because the numbers tell otherwise and also beside the fact that pvp was favored for 15 years,and people left anyways…something you deny also just to deny it.

Because what shouln’t be not has to be…

1 Like

I’m not sure I agree with you. I don’t like pvp. So I took steps to avoid it, and so far, there has only been one real ‘request’ that’s a threat to me. The cloaking/local threads, the whining about afk cloakers, may do it.

I was trapped in a system with a very expensive tengu, filled with a lot of cool loot. No problem, all the gates are bubbled, and the hunt is on. I’m cloaked. Fine. I look for wormholes to get out that way. There are none. They waited. I waited. Finally, I just picked a direction away from anything, set my speed to 20k and announced in local: ‘We seem to be at an impasse. I need to go to work, now. I know you can hunt for me and try to decloak me. Good luck. If you find me, you earned it. See you in nine hours.’

And then I left. Nine hours later, I was still coasting along, just fine. But because I was allowed to do that, to make their power and pvp manchismo mean nothing, and get away, nine hours later, and because a certain segment of the game is scared (imagine anyone being scared of me, lol) they want to make it so my cloak is something they can penetrate.

This has been my sole defense against unwanted pvp, and the day that goes away, when you can not only outnumber me, outgun me, out-experience me, but you can drop my cloak, and force me to engage, I WILL quit the game.

2 Likes

That WOT advert was very funny. Thanks for that I LOL’d.

3 Likes

I remember in 03 when I left the station for the first time. No police no station guns just raw danger. I left high sec in a hurry for the safety of low sec. The danger is what got me hooked been playing mostly since then. 10 years later I came back to hi did some mining built a carrier and sold it.

People will rage quit over a loss of a ship I did over a battle ship I lost to gate came. it was my fault for not seeing the scout in time at the gate. I didn’t play again for a year.

I re subbed and I’m slowly going back to low sec again off and on I missed about 5 years since 03.

Conclusion: with out the danger the game would not be worth it. Maybe I’m an old hand but being hunted is a lot better than being the hunter. Maybe it’s because of this I feel no fear not traveling in low sec. Because I grew into the game in my first 10 years living in low sec.

2 Likes

The major difference between you and I is that I’m not pushing a batshit insane agenda to completely reverse the premise of the game in an area where the majority of players play.

The bottom line here is that your “eve is a pure pvp game” BS is vastly outdated and voted against with the feet of former players,something you deny and turn around in saying “the players leave because of less pvp”,which is complete crap because the numbers tell otherwise and also beside the fact that pvp was favored for 15 years,and people left anyways…something you deny also just to deny it.

There’s a correlation between the “pussification” of Eve, hisec in particular, and PvP players leaving the game, there isn’t one that shows overall player numbers increasing in the same period; in point of fact it’s the opposite; online players numbers being lower than they were when Eve was objectively harder, and PvP easier to access for newer players.

Because what shouln’t be not has to be…

Wat™?

1 Like