How to get more people to play eve

I don’t think anyone can answer that for the very reason you gave: “you can debate what CCP thinks is “good” and “impact””

…but my guess is that when they look at those 20%, they see it as “NS” rather than a corp/alliance specifically. When they buffed Roqqs I’m sure they wanted to make NS more interesting with huge cap/super/titian fights…but now they realize that they opened the faucets too much and we’re ALL drowning in ore…

I guess all us nobodies can do is hope…

So, are you sore because the plex price is too high or too low? Which wallet do you want to pick? For most players, the best way to pay for for your account is through a subscription.

I am a 12 year old player and seen many changes in eve, i took a break from game and came back a few months ago, and in many things eve has not changed more so ccp seems still unwilling or unable to do things about people using bots and macro’s . i am a ice miner and the belt i mine and 2 other ice belts i know of have been taken over by multiboxers and botters, i myself files a complains on people in 2 belts and guess what they have 10 to 12 accounts and yes there still there , so you can only conclude that ccp don’t give a hood as long as the $$$ is coming in from those accounts, there is no control anymore specially in the ice fields. i remember that if someone was using a bot of it seems that there using a macro the old ccp was on it. all over the game world game masters and others coming down hard on bullies that make playing a game almost impossible , ccp used to do this too now eve is pretty much run in high sec most of all by so called bully corporations. if you read whats been said about eve online the most common thing is don’t waist your money , they don’t enforce there own rules there is no fairness in eve and as a noob player you don’t stand a chance in hell anymore, gankers bullies multiboxers botters as long as ccp is not going to come down hard on those things the game will die a slow death. many old players like myself would like to see those changes but those things i mentioned keep falling on deaf ears with ccp. and there a huge problem in the game and because of those things eve will not keep players long and keep having a exodus of old players.

1 Like

@op please read this its very important and it will open your eyes significantly.

This is a very easy question for any designer with experience to answer. The problem is that ccp, these forums, are largely filled with population that is driving only specific types of game play. They are short sighted, and narrow minded in the view of expanding eve to allow for larger player base. I have been advocating for changes that would do just this.

The biggest problem ccp faces in its design philosophy
the problem is that current systems. Current Diplomacy systems allows for mechanics that prevent us from dissolving larger entities (coalitions). Fundamentally ccp is opposed to stopping the larger fights, but if they negate from this position, they will likely find themselves with even larger fights then they had dreamed.

So the key to null sec players returning, is more content not less frequent, larger battles.
I believe that eve could be changed fundamentally in a way that allows it to caster to this design, but i dont think ccp is adventurous enough for it, even though it would take only a few, basic tweaks to the system (ask me how and why if you want to know)

the changes needed
I believe we should start looking at redesigning the philosophy around some “core concepts” in eve. This is vital to eve growing.

Examples of this are looking at how we define each section (low, null, high, etc) of space. We should definitely move off the concept of “high is safer, less income” and move more toward " You can do criminal activities in high, but you can in low sec, and null it dont even matter".

The reason for this is because around 50% of the population of eve do not want anything to do with pvp. A large amount of people left this game because of the previous war-dec “station camping” system, which took ccp almost 13-14 year to fix.

Then i have to start asking myself, those players who enjoy the content of trade, being abused and molested by code, and high sec pvpers who just want to farm new player, is it actually good for the game? I cannot find any evidence to support it is, and stuff published by ccp is often questionable, or used in a way to suit pushing this agenda, even though its blinding in opposition to industry metrics on the topic.

So the answer ultimately is we need to

• Equalize the income (with no more then 15% Isk variance) of all forms of space
  • Change high sec to being “legal actions” only, and set high secs war dec system to require “mutual war” so that high sec is completely optional for pvp.
  • Allow for non-mutual wars to take place in low sec
  • find ways to include war decs in null for sink issues (like war is required to sov-check each other). It might be interesting to do something like "taxes on alliance raise if they are to peaceful, so it builds up its per month value if you dont war dec, and challenge another).

I could promise this will significantly improve the eve population rates.

This is a harder question, that is really subject to opinion, but the question is probably better answered with two other questions.

Why did they leave, and what are they doing now?
These answers will likely influence the answer to this question.

I can tell you, that when it comes to retention rates, there is another serious problem in eve, and that is that there is very little encouragement to group-game play.

We need to look into adding something that encourages team work and purpose. The large income rates of isk really damage this effort. Stations should be huge tasks, and corporations should not be punished for building them (by being war-eligible), no in fact, this should be a reward, and a form of protection to them.

after almost two decades of experience in the industry, i am sure that most of eve’s major problems would be resolved with redesigns to corporations, alliances, and diplomatic systems of eve; though i’d like to also see mining changes something like

• Reduce the amount of ore mined per a cycle
  • Increase the value of the ore in an equal amount (so there is no impact)
  • Significantly increase all mining rates (15-30 seconds to fill cargo hold)
  • Redesign all ships to be like expedition frigates, down size barges to destroyers, and exhumers to barge level, and improve their mobility significantly
  • merge all three types of barges and exhumers into one type (so no more yield/hold/tank variations, just all in 1)

Bots, NPC mining Bots, and poor mission payouts keep me from playing eve. I was going to give it a good try this time, but I cant seem to get into the game anymore. the struggle with constant war decs. the corp I was in lost over 12 bill in moon mining stations and no one has been on since, so my seven accounts are getting mothballed again. maybe in a few more years if eve is still around I may look into it again. but I doubt they will fix it.
since 2004 april 22 been a good run thanks ccp

1 Like

You sir are a great example of why i am here fighting for non-consensual pvp from being removed from high sec. As a designer i get it, and its so super clear to me that this is the move ccp needs to make, yet they keep insisting not to.

I would outright insta-patch this game so all criminal activity (things that cause either suspect, or criminal status) to be removed from high sec. being that genius designer i am, i am certain the next step will be making wars be required to be mutual for high sec wars to be valid.

From here, the games population will climb with a simple email.

Aftter this, some isk related issues need to happen. Incursions are a great exmple of where eve’s content needs to be, and how so many parts are failing, especially trading and missions.

I would advocate for bonus’s for groups doing missions, for level 5’s to be in high sec, and for rewards of missions to not be split, but shared equally.

I am certain, these changes would revolutionize the eve, and bring about massive amounts of players

1 Like

I’m assuming you meant to write “can’t do criminal activities in high, but you can in lowsec”.

The PvP aspect of the game wasn’t the issue with this situation. You had small groups of players that were extorted and prevented from playing by use of wardec for CONCORD-free ganking. They found themselves in an unfair situation they could do nothing about outside of going back to a NPC corp.

Gonna stop you right there.

Plenty of enough people abuse CCP’s lax stance regarding multiple accounts which is why we have this problem of bots (or a person with 10+ characters strip mining a system or three by themselves). The only way of actively combating that is through ganking, as the characters in question are exclusively in NPC corps to avoid the old wardec system.

Having newer players “learn the hard way” isn’t necessarily bad either, AS LONG AS WHAT THEY DID WRONG IS EXPLAINED. Have I blown up new players in highsec, or shown them what happens in lowsec? Yes. But, I’ve also given them ISK to cover the loss and explain what happened, and what they can do to better avoid it from happening again. And every time their response has been positive and thanks is given, not just for the information but also because they get to try again despite the loss they had (compared to some who end up losing without being able to replace, lowering their morale and possibly stop playing).

No thanks, I much rather keep showing newer players how they can risk a 700k Probe and come back with well over 80m just by playing space minesweeper and being careful. Or what they should be looking for when trying to get the most bank from mining ores while making sure they know how to not be a target of ganking. Give them the info they need to make their own riches and stories about their narrow escape from a camp or pirate, so they can see what EVE can be.

That would be too easily abused and be rendered useless.

lolwhat

There’s honestly too many player structures in space as it is, and a lot of them need to be destroyed.

• A moot point when you have a fleet of mining ships.
  • So make things more profitable for mining fleets
  • If it’ll take 15-30s to fill a cargo hold then what was the point of reducing the amount mined per cycle?
  • I’m pretty sure large industrial ships designed around eating moon rocks and holding them for transport aren’t supposed to be “significantly mobile”.
  • Again, if you’re doing this what’s the point of reducing cycle yield?

That’s the fault of the corp honestly. There’s ways of acquiring moon ores without having a station for it - the corp wasn’t ready for defending their things.

People would stop playing. If people want something more theme-parked there are other games.

1 Like

Yes, correct.

Yes, and its highly abusive. The eligibility system is not the best design, but its miles better then what it was before.

The way it should work (imo) is that corporations should have standings to each other. They should declare their intent, and if their intent aligns, they should move in a direction, each day, with that corporation, or alliance. After they get -5, they should be able to war dec, after they get +5 they should be able to dock in each others stations, etc.

This would remove punishment of station dropping. The station spam part is easily handled by increasing start up costs, or operational costs, after all most corporations pve driven are also isk driven.

Note: intended to post in one block

Death is not the only answer and its often not the most efficient. In fact, ship deaths do not impact the over all economy and provide no sink to it, due to the fact that we produce twice the amount we build. for the most part economically speaking, it only effects the individual.

the same would apply to corporations, stations would do little impact to the economy dying. It’d be much more effective to have the factions tax the corp 5%. That would put a dent in the economy. **

Economically, and socially speaking, killing structures is not the answer.

No, lets say you mine 100m an hour, you can set up some calculations to keep the same amount an hour, resulting in no effect on the economy and how much ore it mines, or its values.

you’d just make it more player friendly to go out 15 minutes, mine and dock up and log. (casual oriented). Plus this would require people to move and scan (if most of the asteroids were largely trit for example) that would make mining less multi-boxable to a degree (atleast for when it comes to cherry picking isk/hour optimization).

Im against rorq/orca’s actually mining. I’d like to see them gain x10 the cargo amount, then have an internal option to “buy” ore at a specific isk rate. this way the orca pilot makes isk sitting there buying from the players as a sort of mobile trader, and the rorq pilots job is to compress.('d change that so that if you were on grid with the rorq you can right click compress in your hold removing rorqs large cargo as a result)

something along the lines of merging 10 of the current ores minerals into 1 to clean up the way we see it (qol ish)

Eve is largely pve based, and is not the pvp haven people think it is.

EVE is a PVP game at its core, if that is removed the game will suffer, subs will decline.

PVE In EVE is predictable and get boring very quickly, how many times can you save the Damsel before you are tired of it?
Players quit a game usually out of boredom which is what will happen if EVE is turned into a theme park.

1 Like

Every PvP centered game is, but we just don’t talk about that.

So upkeep would need to be raised quite a bit for there to be any actual effect. Which would cause the larger blocks to consolidate, but operate more the same as they have been while smaller groups have a harder time with managing upkeep.

I’m not talking about rorqs or orcas mining. They honestly don’t need to when you have other ships doing the mining at that same scale. Plus they’d also try to work around the whole mobile trader idea.

Not quoting the whole block to try and save some length. But I personally don’t think that’d be more “player friendly”. All of these changes need to take alts into consideration as well since they’d follow the same rules and changes. I just feel like it would encourage more alts to be used if they can make more in less time.

You mean how we have pyrox, azure pyrox, etc? They could probably change how much of what is where to try and encourage reasons to go into lower security systems.

It boggles the mind why somebody would want to play a complex game like EVE but want to remove the randomness that comes with untethered human interaction…THAT is what makes EVE great.

If you can’t deal with people Nuuri Naarian, go play X4 or for the most part, No Man’s Sky.

2 Likes

do not confuse having “unconsentual” conditions, with being “pvp centered” they are not the same. Eve is not pvp centered, and it never has been, and never will be, because far more people pve, then pvp. systems do not dictate the game, only course correct it, the people decide what it is in the end.

this was just a point i raised, it has to be through out more. if we raise the operational costs, newer corps will not benefit. it might be better to reduce the hull cost, and then make rigs add fuel per a day, this would result in a higher operational cost, but reduced efficiency. if the rigs impacted slightly more then they do, then it’d be a motivator for higher progressed (higher skill point player corps) and higher population corps to use it, to economically sustain it through taxing (reprocessing fee’s etc).

This is probably a much better way of doing it.

Imo rorqs should have high sec access. they are only an issue for high sec access because of their extreme mining rates. I think we should look at strip miners going to the industrial caps, and barges going back to mining beams.

Valid point, however it was thought of already. The secret to getting rid of multiboxing is not changing mining, its convincing ccp that change is best for eve. this will impact their yearly gross, possibly in a significant way. Its dangerous to do massive changes to this part of eve, for a few good reasons (economy, ccp’s well fare being the most important); that being said, its vital we do something to help reduce the multiboxing

sorta like how we do with compression. I just think it looks better =P i’d like less rocks worth more isk, so hauling loads is more dangerous.

I’m going to call BS on this, from the new player FAQ

… just in case you are serious …

Add here: “allowing all types of ships in high-sec too” and you have my vote on the next CSM. Being able to make 300mil ISK/hour in total safety of high-sec - what’s more to wish for?

Still hoping that this was troll post… :thinking:

As i stated. The game has unconsensual pvp, however it is not pvp focused.

1 Like

I actually mentioned this before.

Rorq and orca’s should be allowed in high sec. I am not opposed to industrial caps being there, but they should suffer reduce mining rates or get a rework. Maybe the capitals can use strip miners, and the rest just use regular ore / deep miners.

Everything in the game is PVP, you can’t escape it.

Nope. not true at all.

1 Like

For fun: could you name one activity in EvE which is not pvp?

1 Like