How to get more people to play eve

edit: Wow, 30 posts later …

You’re basically expecting that our new players are supposed to be acting like grown ups without giving them a ■■■■■■■ chance. They don’t need to be spoonfed, they don’t need to be protected, but they damn as ■■■■ also don’t need to be screwed without having any ■■■■■■■ idea what the ■■■■■■■ ■■■■ is actually going on.

When people enter a new social environment, they first have to learn to understand the people and its culture. They’re not unlike children, as children too need to learn how society works in general, how to operate things, how to deal with others personally. Translated to EVE does that mean that It’s fine to shoot them, it’s fine to scam them, but it’s absolutely not okay to meta-game them like he does.

You CAN NOT let people raise and grow our new players into believing that what he does is good and what others do is bad. If you let that happen you create a situation like you have with all the other religious nutjobs everywhere in the world, ruining their childrens’ minds and poisoning them with ■■■■■■ up beliefs from day one!

They never had a ■■■■■■■ chance!

Naari isn’t about what he’s doing in the game. You failed to do your homework.
Stand up, Nicolai, so I can slap your fingers with my ruler like they did with our grand parents.

You’re mistaken thinking this is all just in the game. Naari is trying to meta-game CCP itself by abusing new players. He’s trying to form the brains of new players into what he wants them to think, just like CCP is forming the brains of new players by sending them missioning and mining and we’re all suffering for it.

You’re ■■■■■■■ nuts. Get some ■■■■■■■ distance from the game and learn to respect that children are children. We’re not trying to overly protect them, we’re trying to preserve our game. Learn the ■■■■■■■ difference.

1 Like

Thread been cleaned up just a little, keep it on topic, thank you! :heart:

7 Likes

Didn’t realize how far Dorrim cleaned this thread.

Inb4 second lock.

This reminds me of the Archeage forums when some were head over heels with HackShield being in the game (and the whole PVE vs PVP thing). It seems like they always devolve after a period of time and it’s unfortunate that’s the case.

Trying to keep it relatively on topic. :grin:

2 Likes

What i find interesting is that you have not have actions taken sol, yet you are sitting there with personal attacks, and foul language.

Thank you for your time and effort! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@ISD_Dorrim_Barstorlode Is this on topic? i’d like clarification. (recording again)

who is the “children” we are talking about here? the 20, 30, or 50 year olds?

Ok. On topic.

Resources Wars. I think that had potential to get new players to stay and play with veterans. I think we need some more things like that. Too bad CCP fumbled the rewards and didn’t give it another pass.

2 Likes

@Noori_Naarian
If you really feel that way, then as a “game designer” you would have the tact to address this properly using the proper avenues of doing so, rather than letting your personal feelings on the matter spill out on the forum.

Everything Barstorlode has done so far is the same I’ve done when I worked with SE Montreal.

The more important questions to be asking, however, are how to revamp the current referral system and getting new players the information they need from groups like EVE Uni and such to keep their retention for the short term.

Are you cognitively challenged?

It’s written right there!
Here, I’ll quote it for you:

Try harder.

Now back on topic.

@Solecist_Project
Just be sure to keep some things bookmarked for when your posts are used to spin the narrative, since that’s the only reason they’re doing this right now.

Edit: If it wasn’t off topic I’d link to a good example of me doing this with an old Tropico release on Steam for an article on the platform.

I don’t understand why everyone claims that the reward is what broke the feature.

Can you elaborate on that?

2 Likes

First I’ve heard that, but last time I played EVE before now was 2012 soooooo.

But I do agree resource wars seems like an unfinished idea.

The games hope at the moment is to recoop its lost population. The new player population of this age in the industry are not into overly complex, long term committed games. more importantly, we come to the topic of the health of the game, and its future. at this point it does not make a lot of sense to try to get a lot of players, but it is possible to make changes that will encourage most of the lost players to come back, and help new players a like.

this brings us to retention based discussions. Why people leave, etc. This is a big complex due to the unique nature of high-complexity eve has intentionally designed into it.

The nature of high complexity itself limits the potential population of eve, so, the population rates are even more important then in other game that can spare to lose population (for example, the games with millions like world of warcraft).

For this reason, eve just cannot afford to lose half its player base, because some pvpers think its bad, or want to run around pillaging people at 105:1 kda rates.

its abusive, and needs to change.

There is no doubt even uni has helped eve. Kiddos and thanks to them for that, but they are not the glory they use to be. Most importantly, this entity exist largely due to ccp’s inability to have proper UX designers to find these issues and resolve the problems.

The problems are resolved on ccp’s end. If a development studio needs to depend on players to correct key problems, which many agree are problematic, that is a fail on the company.
If a company fails in this matter, someone is not doing their job right, the checks for finish product is not acceptable, or enough development resources are not dedicated to the project/patch.

At the end of the day, the problems fall on the shoulders of the leadership. it took 15 years of “war dec- station camping” to correct the issue, and the end result is not much better.

I advocated in 2007-2008 against these issues, and i was told “your a carebear, go back to wow”. Interestingly, the change seems to not have broken eve, but it has improved it.

This makes me wonder what the effect of removal of non-consensual pvp in high sec will have.

1 Like

Having them demand ransom from the PVE players by preventing progress in their PVE activity like they can already do.

Good to see things won’t change.

1 Like

Well, I know rewards aren’t your thing and I agree they don’t have to always be, but in this case, the LP was literally worth negative value. They had pre-selected newbro-friendly ship and module packages, that with ISK, the LP could buy. The problem is the ships and modules are actually cheaper on the market than in the LP bundle meaning you lose ISK if you claim them.

Seems like such an easy fix. Just replace, or add some more rewards to the LP store for the RE corps. But CCP dropped it like a hot potato for some reason.

Too bad. It was, and is suppose to be a newbro feature. And it seemed promising.

3 Likes