How will EVE Possibly Compete with Amazing Star Citizen?

I paid for SC and decided to simply wait until they actually release it before playing it properly. So I consider it a gamble as such, but certainly won’t pay for the extra ships etc. I find that ridiculous. I stopped bothering downloading patches after the third time of practically replacing the whole damn code base, it’s a waste of bandwidth until it actually solidifies as some kind of relatively finished content.

2 Likes

Well, this “technique” is also known as Extreme Programming, but it requires discipline and skill, and frankly do I not see alpha players as reliable as they would need to be.

I think the bandwidth have to be unlimited to try that game, and of course a good computer is needed. I dont see many people with bad computers playing it.

Meh, its not that they really use them for that purpose exactly, they have programmers working on it internally, its more like gathering feedback from community.

Like Corraidhin Farsaidh wrote, it can be too much sometimes, so you have to leave it and try another time. But its like with EVE, you can always return. SC doesnt have subscription anyway.

If I were CCP I’d be more worried about Dual Universe. Star Citizen isn’t going to compete with EVE Online, entirely different focus in marketing, advertising, gameplay niches etc. But DU is. Emergent gameplay, raw sandbox, raw crafting, raw killing, etc.

Granted, DU is far from ready. But it’s not that hard to see how the potential is getting its foundations. And in every step DU’s devs get to learn from CCP’s mistakes. Star Citizen is taking entirely different paths, getting lost in aspirations. DU isn’t. No amount of interpersonal contacts with NovaQuark’s exec producer is going to change the really crucial differences.

EVE’s own roadmap is by default going to put it against DU, making a big part of the confrontation the difference between shiny/gold/f2p and emergent gameplay/subscription/gtc’s. Another big part is the difference between timesink/goldsink and nongrind.

As a sidenote I bought Battletech from Steam. It was also a kickstarter, the difference being they delivered exactly what they promised. It’s also very entertaining if you like strategy based massive stompy robot combat

:ok_hand:

oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh *claps excitedly and jumps up and down a bit *

Star citizen is a buggy mess that will never be finished. Chris Roberts is stuffing his bags full of cash and taking off for his private south Pacific Island.

2 Likes

I thought this said, how will EVE possibly compete with Amarr Citizens ?

2 Likes

thought u were creating a world there, where are the Eve refugees going to go now?

I’m fickle? Plus, I decided eve was fun, so I bought a slew of injectors.

INN review of Battletech (I’m just there for the articles, honest).

My point being that although we’ve seen huge failures from kickstarters, this is one that arguably overdelivered on what they promised. I’d say people are wrong when they say it has ‘just one more turn’ addictivness, it’s more like ‘just one more mission’.

SC sums up everything bad about a successful kickstarter fund raising. The temptation is always there to milk everything you can instead of just deliver your original promise.

Battletech is the exact opposite, deliver something that you promised, but with added bells and whistles. I can guarantee that fans of this game will snap up DLC after DLC as the expand the game Universe. SC hasn’t even delivered it’s campaign yet.

I really hope SC comes to fruition (I don’t think it will ‘kill EvE’), but I have doubts and won’t waste bandwidth on downloads until something concrete is delivered. Meanwhile I’ll gleefully ‘Death From Above’ more tanks just because my leg armour is still full in the meantime.

tattlebech is AWESOME! Do you have an awesome? I have 2.

I’m only a year in, so still in Shadowhawks and panther support., but the post wasn’t to show how good BattleTech is (it’s the only other kickstarter I’ve put money in for comparison). I’m just showing that kickstarters can work, and should always deliver what they promised before going off expanding scope endlessly.

Yeah, star citizen is pretty bad, bought 2 variants of the hornet and it provided perhaps a week of enthusiasm. Then, nothing but contempt for a good scam pulled off. Their jpegs and conceptual art still bring in loads…almost $200mill.
I’m going to kickstart a game about My Little Pony, any contributors? I promise nothing but a strong non-legally binding contract…and rainbow dash!

It truly is amazing how they have kept going for 6 years and people still give them money. I mean there is NO END in SIGHT for even BETA to begin !

3 Likes

People give them money for development, and development happens. In recent video they talk about player created missions for example, something what EVE players suggested few times in the past.

Talked about, but no actual game delivered as yet. If they are waiting to have the perfect game it’ll never be delivered.

Never existed something like that. For every game there is at least one player who will complain.