How will EVE Possibly Compete with Amazing Star Citizen?

Clearly you never met his Grandmother.

1 Like

The second to last people I want to know are religious US-Americans.

1 Like

So they haven’t released the game but already changed the name to amazing star citizen? Companies that change there name like that are usually trying to hide something. Mostly financials…

SC, The ultimate Jita scam. :joy:

1 Like

its more like Stuck Citizen because of the bugs its more a tech demo than an actual game.

It poses no threat to EVE.

Stuck Citizen is already 5 year overdue its release date and from the continuous moving targets will need another 15 to become a proper game.

EVE on the other hand does not require you to sell your soul to the devil to make it work.

1 Like

Three words: Walking In Stations.

I belive in SC you can walk pretty much anywhere…

Games come and go, and somewhere in between do they peak.

EVE Online peaked in May 2013.

With Star Citizen can I not stop thinking that it may have peaked even before it’s been released.

Am I the only one in thinking this??

The only thing amazing about Star Citizen is that people actually continue to pay money to RSI for vaporware.

2 Likes

They dont pay for what that game is, but what that game will be, they pay for development. You could not justify the amount of money SC gathered without putting strong emphasis on clarity of development process and vision.

1 Like

Shrug, they can believe they’re going to get what’s being promised to them. Perhaps some day they will. But it has become more and more frequently common these days that salespeople promise you the world, only to deliver you a box of loosely packed earth.

It has gone on for years now… delays, problems, etc. That is why I’m amazed people still give their money. There’s no sign of an end to that anyways.

Me, I place my faith and my money in finished products. Nothing says you can’t keep adding to a game (like Eve) after it’s a finished product.

1 Like

Well, we just have to wait and see what SC will become. :smile:

EVE is dying for 15 years. Imagine how long it could take with game like Star Citizen, with its budget, amount of fanatic followers and people struggling to forget about it. :wink:

It’s a charity case. At least this would be my mind set if I wanted to give them some money. Only it doesn’t feel quite as needed as for homeless people. SC is the kind of charity a hipster would invent.

I like how you said “followers” instead of “players.” Because video games have players, passive entertainments have followers. SC isn’t a video game, it’s a weird serial drama blog thing. Which I suppose is a pretty innovative form of entertainment, it’s just not a video game.

All 40 of my accounts

Its pretty hard to play it because of bugs, but it gets easier every day. They work on it. Recently community pushed to overhauled UI and it was a great thing. But there is always masive amount of work.

Honestly, it sounds as if they have a really bad work attitude. It’s only funny so often when devs say “it’s done when it’s done”, but eventually do you want your devs to meet deadlines and reach goals in time for a project to be manageable and for you to pay your bills. Your employees expect a regular salary, banks want regular payment on loans and customers want something for their money, too. This is why we have deadlines. When your teams then don’t manage to produce something of value in regular intervals then you only get yourself intro trouble. And to get there does it take routine, discipline and training, because teams don’t ever stay the same, but people come and go, and they still have to meet their deadlines when this happens.

Particularly with complexity of code and scale of the project the problems arise that you dont have with smaller projects. Lets see Witcher 3 development, it was dragging on because of constant bugs and amont of work they had to put into engine, smilarly to SC. And Witcher 3 was a lot smaller game than SC in scope. I think people may be really disilusioned only when they will see its constant struggle to bring stuff into game and make it work, and this is showed in the SC dev reports of many kinds. Money are given to them because of work they make. I sometimes joke how CCP works, but honestly they dont start from good position either having all this code and systems in game to consider and playerbase that whines infinitely. Only thing I dont really like with CCP is they dont allow you to peek into development so much, probably too messy to watch.

About the game engines, if you ever make a game, you will have to pick up engine that fits the scope, and if the scope is too much for engine, you will have to modify a lot and it is a serious business. For example you would never pick up an engine like Unity for a game like SC.

Of course, that is true. But there are ways to manage this, too. Take PHP for example. While it isn’t a 3D game was it of importance to the project to be bug free, fast and secure, or else an interpreter for processing server-side scripts on the World Wide Web just isn’t very usable. They achieved it by building up a test suite along side with it. It’s now grown to around 15,000 test cases and it covers anything from generic test cases to individual bugs, and it ensures that with every code change they make they don’t produce new bugs, but can prove that it is all still working as intended. It has helped PHP to reach the popularity it has today.

You could say test suites are as important to programming as scaffolds are to construction. You need to build them up as you go a long to ensure you have as few bugs as humanly possible.

So when you tell me they have a lot of bugs in their code then it tells me they’ve probably first written a lot of code, then released it, but didn’t implement a test suite with it, which would have caught the bugs. Instead, they seem to be using their alpha players as their test suite.

If then somebody told me they’re sitting between piles of empty pizza boxes, ash trays full of joints and dirty clothes on the floor, then I would not be much surprised by it. I would only be surprised about it for the fact how they’ve managed to get away with it for so long.

But SC players love it! They cant get enough new patches to see what is changed. :smile:
This is the reality of product in development, you cant blame people that they want it so badly.

1 Like