How will EVE Possibly Compete with Amazing Star Citizen?

They are very different games. EVE is 3rd person and somewhat forgiving in its control scheme. SC will be first person, where good reflexes will play a larger role in how well you do. NPC actors can help SC players fly the larger ships, but they won’t be as good as real players in the gun turrets.

Eve is a gussied up 2.5D side-scroller and star citizen is a sim, we know this…

1 Like

PvP in EVE is atrociously simple or atrociously complicated depending on the way you flight, solo or in group or in fleet as f1 monkey. Its just it is hardly fun when its f1 monkey easy and can be really frustrating when solo. It shines with smaller group, but they are prone to escalation gameplay when it quickly becomes unfun with capitals dropping on small groups that have no caps. The alliance tournament is something what is the best from EVE PvP, but its actually becoming less and less cared about by CCP, like this year it wil be organized by EVEnt. CCP fired people who organized the event by CCP.

In SC the PvP will be hardly with fleets of tens of peoples, so it automaticaly drifts towards group PvP like in alliance tournament. Solo encounters would probably be also a lot easier to find. Also big ships require many crew members.

3 Likes

Did they re enable multi GPU support I tried it many moons ago and with 2nd card not booting I couldn’t play with all flashy on…want to see is any real progress occurred since then.

I run a high end system and it stresses it with no need for what you get. My 1080ti gpu doesn’t seem to mind much but my cpu gets hotter than I’d like.
It’s encouraging everyone to upgrade to i9 cpu’s which are way overpriced at the moment, I have a i7 6700k that is liquid cooled and it’s temp has got me worried at points. It’s just not worth it, although I wasted a few hundred on 2 variants of the hornet.
It has a core audience but that is losing support and it is not getting many new. They only offer conceptual art and jpeg ships. Anything solid atm is buggy and offers very little enjoyment. A gas giant and it’s moons, missions that people pile on and a multiplayer arena where very few play.
It’s very similar to an updated version of wing commander without the cats, what Chris Robertson got fame for in the 90’s.
The first person shooter is absolute garbage, something I’d expect more than a decade ago.

Why not AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X?

But maybe wait until second generation comes out.

I’ve always been an intel guy. It is the name you trust, in my view. I wouldn’t shy away from it were it the only choice, but again I’m an Intel and Nvidia guy. Maybe I like to pay more for nothing…who knows?
But the point was, I don’t think it’s necessary for one buggy unfinished game with no end in sight for release.

The fact they are pushing people to cutting edge levels of upgrades makes me suspicious to be honest. Another reason why I’m not bothering downloading again until they come up with something concrete.

Meanwhile I’m thoroughly enjoying stompy robots :slight_smile: Now if they can just patch in using removed limbs as clubs…

1 Like

What about cuphead or LoL? (league of Legends)

It’s all about the stompy robots for me :slight_smile:

I left EVE for Elite: Dangerous a while back. I gave E:D a really good run, but it didn’t take. The prices and grind and payouts… None of it is balanced sensibly, it’s all just arbitrary.

Came back to EVE because at least here the prices of things make sense and most of what you do in EVE - even if you’re a filthy casual carebear HiSec veldspar miner like me - actually contributes to something in the game.

So far IMHO there’s nothing else like EVE out there yet. I’ll be hanging around until another MMO does economy at least as well as EVE. Couple of upcoming fantasy RPGs have my eye, but time will tell.

I think EVE is gonna do okay, it’s a fairly cosy niche once you get a feel for it. :smiley:

1 Like

When SC will be released, the whole economy will be impacted the same way EvE is: by universe trends: how much people are mining (players AND NPC, NPC being 90% of the population), policies of the systems, etc etc

Dont know if that will be how it is in Wiki, but it looks like NPC production chain will be a major thing, this reminds me of EVE in early days, when people moved stuff for profit that is now extracted from planets. And people produced stuff too, just there was not much to produce.

From SC Wiki:

The Player’s Role

The NPCs in Star Citizen will be able to fill any role in the economy, but players are able and encouraged to jump in and make their own paths and profits. Players can pick up transportation contracts in their armed Freelancer for a dangerous delivery, or buy out a production node and manage the inner workings of building laser cannons.[1]

Pretty sure half of their playerbase will croak before the game is released in a finished state.

There are more and more YouTube vids about the Never Ending development of the Game, and how CIG is Milking it with Ingenious tactics, THIS IS TURNING INTO A CULT, AND THE FAITHFUL CONDEMN ALL DISSENT!

2 Likes

Hilmar can learn a lot from Roberts.
70$ monocles are not enough today!

2 Likes

Coming next to the $ store: A certificate that entitles you to 1, 5 or 10 Gold Titans. There are no mechanics for redeeming said certificate. Just the certificate.

$180 million AND THE GAME IS NOWHERE NEAR BETA, AND die hard SUCKERS LOVE GIVING CIG MORE;
IF ANYTHING, CHRIS ROBERTS IS A MONEY MAKING GENIOUS!

1 Like
2 Likes

Paying 27,000 $ (on top of another 1,000 $) to fly almost every ship in a game known for having 3x more ships in development than actually flying is one fine trick. And surely some will fall for it.

3 Likes