I gave EVE a try --cannot recommend to new players

No. Do your homework before spouting nonsense.

The PvE side of the game is definitely entirely valid. It is by far the most interesting part of EVE for me as well. For my own preferences, the PvP side of EVE is so poorly designed and implemented that it isnā€™t even worth considering except as an occasional test of ship mechanics or to complete a mission or something.

Thatā€™s not to say the PvE in EVE is well designed - it isnā€™t. But thereā€™s enough there, and itā€™s interesting enough, with enough variety, to keep a new player engaged for a year or three. Maybe more, depending on their tolerance levels.

Just keep in mind that the design and marketing of EVE has for years focused on attracting malcontents who feel a need to be pretend-combative and bark a lot (small dog syndrome). For many of these players, itā€™s easier to bark on the forums than in the game.

No amount of explaining or being more precise in your words and ideas will shut their yapping, yapping is what theyā€™re here for.

I generally try to make my point, wait to see if anyone has any valid questions or points, and then when the trolls start to bark, I drop it and move on.

As others have said, youā€™ll do fine in EVE playing it your way. Keep on keepinā€™ on!

4 Likes

/me puts another mark on the Bingo card

4 Likes

Unknown

2 Likes

So true, even for a brand new Omega pilot the invasions are overkill and should really be inside deadspace.

1 Like

I started eve about 6 months ago, I played for about a month then stoppedā€¦ picked it back up about two weeks ago. (Life just go in the way, it wasnā€™t the game).

I donā€™t mind solo play, but Iā€™d rather be a solo player because I want to be, not because I donā€™t know how to do anything more. Iā€™m still not sure of the best way to meet and interact with other casual solo players. I donā€™t want to join a corp full of hard core gamers, simply because Iā€™m just not ready for that yet.

I also want to get into null sec ASAP, but it seems like I still have too much to learn. I donā€™t want to be flying around with a ton of loot, and have nowhere to dock because Iā€™m not in a corporation. How do find out, if a citadel/station will allow me to dock?

I know of a mining channel that you may wish to sort out in game. There seem to be a mixture of Industrialists and high sec ice miners mostly but it is a start if you want to increase your contacts.

I recommend joining a corp full of null sec players, because thatā€™s the easiest and fastest way to get into null sec and have stations to dock. Without a corporation in null, itā€™s unlikely you find stations to dock in, except in NPC null.

Donā€™t worry about it ā€˜being full of hard core gamersā€™, not all null sec corporations require you to be ā€˜hard coreā€™. There are a few big null sec newbie friendly corporations that sound like they could be a good fit for you! (Iā€™m in one myself).

2 Likes

Your best option for docking access in Null Sec is NPC stations. I believe those can be located with the Star map.

You can also view info on NPC Factions native to specific regions and view their settled systems, I think those will have stations. To verify just view the system info and check if thereā€™s a stations tab. If no stations tab is present then thereā€™s no NPC stations in that system.

1 Like

EVE is an MMO and as such players should be encouraged to join other players, this is not unique to EVE but applies to most MMO:s out there. For me EVE provides opportunity to play solo if you want to, it wonā€™t be the full game experience ofc but it works.

Compare this to a game like WoW where you literally have to team up with others to progress past the ā€˜newbie zoneā€™ and where instances and raids are what makes the game interesting.

On ganking it should be noted that it is sorely needed to create destruction, you would probably be amazed to learn that many of the worst gankers/pirates double as industrialists on other characters.

I do agree on the Triglavian invasion which was a terrible idea right from the start but I assume it have done what the Devā€™s wanted it to by sowing chaos and generally shaking things up a bit. If what comes out of this is an improvement Iā€™m willing to overlook the fact that the event itself seems to have been quite flawed.

yea, Syndicate is full of NCP systems, but iā€™m in the Forge! I wasnā€™t sure that if there it was normal for citadels to let you in, or not, or if you can but have to pay docking fees. Or whether you can have Citadels and NPC stations in the same system.

so many questions :joy:

Do you have any recommendations, corp. wise?

Tried the smartphone version, itā€™s bloody hard to see the display let alone work out how to do anythingā€¦ gave up after 2 hours of flying around in circles trying to find a station.

Ganker, as much are hated, are a part of the game.
The game is not cod in space, require patience to understand it.
No are is immune to pvp, ask edencom when they lost ship against suicide gankers.
Learn by your mystake.
Donā€™t fly whot you canā€™t afford to lose

Edited by ISD Bahamut to remove off-topic section of post

If you would like to live and make your ISK in null, while also occasionally joining PvP in small skirmishes or large fleets (such as in the current ongoing war), I can recommend Brave Newbies Inc.

If you donā€™t know how to live in null yet, or donā€™t know how to be effective in PvP yet, as long as you want to learn how to do that there will be people in fleet and on comms to help you.

2 Likes

When I have questions about EVE, I generally find I get better advice from Google searches than from forum threads. (Lots of good short answers on forums, but rarely a good overview of a game feature.)

Several search results from ā€œEVE nullsec guideā€:
https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Life_in_0.0

https://wiki.bravecollective.com/public/dojo/wiki/basic-null-guide

When searching out guides and info for EVE, pay attention to the dates of the article. Some old stuff (like the Ten Tips) still has valid information. Other stuff may be outdated or replaced. In EVE, more research is better than less - practice your google-fu!

2 Likes

Hi

Please stay on-topic, I have editted your post

ISD Bahamut

1 Like

The three main new player-friendly corporations in Null-Sec are Pandemic Horde Inc., Brave Newbies, and Karmafleet. My corporation is Sniggwaffe, a somewhat less new-player-oriented one in the Pandemic Horde alliance, so obviously Horde is the first one that would come to mind for me to recommend. Right now, Karmafleet has closed recruitment aside from returning members as a security measure in order to make it harder to get spy characters in to cause problems, while the others accept occasional stuff like that as a trade-off thatā€™s outweighed by the benefits of how they do things since the more dangerous spies arenā€™t going to be burned on stuff like that (one example of this kind of problem would be that a few days ago, a spy character in Pandemic Horde got one of the allianceā€™s supercarriers killed by lighting a second cynosural field in the supercarrier fleet so that someone jumped to the wrong one, which was on a structure owned by the alliance which Karmafleet is part of while the two alliances and a few others had the first supercapital fight of the war thatā€™s been going on since July).

If you donā€™t want to join the really big alliances, Iā€™m acquainted with the people who run The Rogue University, and theyā€™re doing a really good job.

3 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree. If CCP canā€™t make you quit with their idiotic roll outs then ganking surely can set the stage for exit left.

2 Likes

Only for people who are too weak to belong in EVE.

4 Likes