I'm qutting

Nope. That’s just a refusal to take individual responsibility.

CCP created built-in consequences (at least in Hisec, via CONCORD) but it is still the individual’s responsibility whether to trigger those consequences. Or not.

3 Likes

The problem with EVE is that there is every incentive to be a royal asshole and basically none to be a white knight.

10 Likes

Sorry, doesn’t matter how much you say it, CCP created the game mechanics and the players can only do what the game mechanics allow them to do.

2 Likes

Do not disagree with that, although I believe some white knights may still exist eg Mike Azariah, etc ?

1 Like

We are in furious agreement on that point.

There are a few white knights. And a lot of players that will go out of their way to help others (especially new ones). But by and large you have a population that’s 50% or greater asshole, 35% neutral and maybe 1-2% knight. The rest are bots.

5 Likes

Let’s see, EVE was constantly growing while CCP had the “here’s a ship, ■■■■ you” and “HTFU” attitude. Then they started catering to carebears and dumbing down EVE to accommodate for the lower intelligence of the average human and EVE has been bleeding subscribers ever since.

Now what conclusion can we draw from that, hm?

I object to that. At least 30% of the active player numbers are bots and their number is steadily growing. We’re essentially playing Bots Online.

@OP:

5 Likes

If there really is some huge contingent of players who are being driven off because all they want to do is mine or build stuff and be left alone, perhaps create a 4th zone in the game - “secure sec.” It would be small, and a subset of highsec.

Secure-sec would have the following features (some debatable):

• Safeties are automatically set to green, and can’t be changed.

• Closed loop systems (can’t transit through secure-sec to another zone - NO SAFE TRANSIT through to another area). Only one way in and one way out, and those two are the same.

• Least lucrative area of space, i.e. only veldspar to mine, NPC taxes are highest, etc.

• Must drop corp and join “secure-sec corp” (i.e. no tax dodging).

• No ships can enter, only naked pods. Rationale being that there should be no refuge or safe place for non secure-sec players (maybe someone is trying to dodge a gank or hide).

• No pods with implants can enter (no safety for stuffs gotten outside of secure-sec).

• No pods with timers (suspect etc) allowed in.

• Nothing can be imported (no safe place to make stuffs using outside materials).

• Nothing can be exported (debatable - not sure about this one. Sure, ultra-safe place to make stuffs, however stuffs is vulnerable as soon as it leaves, and since nothing is imported, whatever was made was made with non-lucrative materials and time).

None of this would help the OP, since he wasn’t even killed in highsec, it was low or null for Pete’s sake. But for people who complain that they are killed in highsec, it’s a start at least.

That’s off the top of my head. Add more, discuss, etc.

3 Likes

That cartoon is correct. If you add another half dozen kids with shovels pummelling the sand castle, that is…

At one point in time EVE was a pool with a designated shallow end. Since EVE had a positive influx of players they could choose when to eat in the shallows (even forage).

Now the reefs are empty, the shallows are bare and you have sharks literally laying in wait on the sandbars for their next victim. EVE’s success (or lack thereof) is directly attributable to the actions of players. One need look no further than Serenity for a preview of things to come…

6 Likes

Truth be told, high-sec should be safe. At least the major hubs and systems directly leading into them. The fact that gankers, scam artists and market bots can operate with impunity in Jita is a complete joke.

I honestly don’t know why anyone would want to mine or haul cargo. It just seems like there are far too many players who go out of their way to make these thankless activities even less unpalatable.

7 Likes

Fair enough. I will agree there is as a much bigger market for low-commitment, instant action PvP games than longer term, ‘survivial’ style games. But still, games like Rust, Ark and Conan Exiles are at the top of the Steam rankings today, and very popular. This idea of the OP that everyone is looking for the same type of game as him is just wrong. Many people enjoy competitive PvP games like Eve Online.

Different strokes for different folks. I’m glad there is such diversity in the games out there, but I fully realize they all aren’t for me. To be honest, I find it hard to explain the self-centered nature of the OP’s complaint unless it is tinged with emotion from his loss in game. I mean, who really has the audacity to claim the developer and everyone else playing a popular game like Eve is “doing it wrong” because they don’t like the game?

1 Like

I’ve never understood people like you. I never play any game of any kind that does not have predatory PvP in it. I’ve never had any problem figuring out if a game has that feature or not BEFORE I start playing. EVE is famous for it’s cutthroat environment. So why do you come to a game like this? There are dozens and dozens of other MMOs out there. Many of them VERY safe for players like you who don’t enjoy the danger. But no, you come in droves and finally blow up (pun intended) and write long goodbyes. Hope you find a game more suited to your temperament. Good luck.

6 Likes

I think we’ve established the difference between “I’m frustrated, at my wit’s end and would really appreciate some suggestions to improve my gameplay?” and “I’m quitting and this is my rant why!”

It still doesn’t change the fact that many of the comments in this thread are on-point. I really don’t have much else to add at this point, but I enjoyed the civil discussion (for the most part).

4 Likes

I understand. I’m still here but my hauler has been extracted long ago exactly for the reasons you stated. I do enjoy the combat side of things though.

I also wouldn’t biomass or anything like that, you never know when you get an itch, and the extractors do make things real easy when switching.

And you’re not the only one that has quit this game over this stuff, hope many more quit as well, all the way down to barren markets and the gankers screaming bloody cause of lack of targets. Maybe then CCP will get a clue.

7 Likes

How would you change things? What would you do to ‘fix’ it?

Eve Online 2.

The cesspool is not fixable, milk it for all its worth while theres still enough of it left, then make a new game and leave the cesspool to itself where it is.

5 Likes

How does the new game differ from the current one? What I’m asking is, what rules, processes, mechanics, etc. should there be, would there be? What, exactly, do you want?

A variation on this theme … if it is not fixable, why are you still here ? (And that’s asked in a spirit of genuine inquiry; it is not meant to be combative.) Can we infer that despite being a “cesspool” you still get enough enjoyment out of it to stay ?

I’m just wondering what they want to ‘fix’ things. A button that gives you all your stuffs back if you lose it? An auto-invulnerability that you must specifically turn-off to make yourself vulnerable (complete with an “are you sure?” box that pops up to guard against accidents)? I’m not asking mocking questions - I genuinely want to know what they want.

Your “qutting”?