Is Eve dying?

Shrug. There is definitely less to do than there used to be. At least stuff that seems interesting to me.

1 Like

I guess thats gonna happen when you try everything or playba game long enough.

Fortunately Ive still lots of things Ive never done.

Mostly to do with engaging with other players

You people know better, but you see “EVE is dying” and it’s like catnip for forum warriors. You just can’t help yourselves.

Someone should write a paper on it. Might get a syndrome named after you.

Mr Epeen :sunglasses:

2 Likes

A lot of things that I found interesting got coded out of the game one way or another.

You are right here with us, Scrow.

1 Like

Same, but theres still a binch I never did

EVE has always been dying. So have capsuleers. Sometimes, we choose not to come back. Eventually, the game might make that same choice. I don’t expect it to die soon, but I’m new, so maybe I’m just too optimistic. I have hope for the future, but also concerns. We’ll see which side wins. This story is just another one of the many wars in New Eden. It has a long history of them, and I don’t think it’s every truly certain where any battle here will lead until long after the dust settles. Pun only slightly intended.

After all, I’m here, and that means that EVE has to face a Decline, even if the playercount didn’t look smaller than it has been in the recent past. There ARE mitigating factors which could be influencing those numbers, but that doesn’t negate that those numbers are real. And while numbers are often talked about for how they don’t lie, they don’t always say things in clear and easily-understood terms. Knowing there are less players right now is different from “knowing” anything about how imminent its demise might or might not be.

EVE is a niche game and has never had a massive player base. I think the biggest spike we ever had was about 65k, with an average of 50k or so for a while. Then that started to dwindle down to about 35k average over the next few years. Now it’s anywhere from 15k to 22k.

There are tons of other MMO’s now, along with mobile games, Steam, and other platforms that weren’t around in the early years of EVE. The current generation won’t fare well in EVE because they are used to instant gratification mobile games and flashy, instant-action FPS games. Most of them do not have the patience that EVE requires…

3 Likes

Nah - there’s already been a lot written about the human proclivity for denial. :wink:

What really sucks is how the battlepass model has caught on.

It promotes FOMO gaming and really cuts into the amount of games you can play at once.

Sadly, once companies realized how profitable it was, that was it.

2 Likes

What is a battlepass?

totally agree
i would get more in details but i cant because i have to grind the last days of my WOTB battle pass :anguished:

That’s certainly true to a degree but a large portion of the problem is presentation. Lots of crying bears, people stating you can’t do anything until T2/x amount of sp or time, and that it’s super grindy etcetcetc. And that comes from actual current players, reddit has it, replies on some eve youtube vid has it. It’s everywhere.

Not always, some of us do paint a different picture but that is how eve is kinda known. Telling some newbie “this distant goal is 3 years away, good luck” is fcking dumb but it happens a lot, it’s like people are actively trying to scare folks away.

CCP could really help themselves by advertising some sort of “diary of a young pilot” Scope video series showcasing and pointing out playstyles newbies can actually do in their first few weeks. And then fcking choose stuff that doesn’t sound boring right the first second so no mining or anything spreadsheet like.

game company makes you log every day
makes you play more than you want
for mediocre “exclusive” rewards (this is the FOMO part , if you don’t you “lose”)
and you have to pay every month for the “privilege”

edit:
this kind of stuff

Why is it called battlepass instead of login reward?

Get a clue. This game has caters to your brand of player now which is exactly why the old players are leaving.

basically is the same thing
but battle pass makes you grind more
you have to pay
and have ■■■■ that is not available by other means if you don’t pay

Like soulbound ship skins and avatar apparel? Why doesn’t Eve have this yet?

1 Like

yes
but mostly useless stuff
because usually battle pass is a low tier micro payment
sooo they make you FOMO but they cant give you the real good ■■■■ else the whales wouldn’t spend 100k dolars

i don’t know
im not a biologist

1 Like

You basically pay 10 bucks for comestic items for a “season” that lasts about 2-3 months usually.

To be real, I don’t mind buying cosmetic items but because its limited time, it forces you to play.

Even single player games have started to adopt it, its nuts.