Itaer for CSM 19

Hello everyone, I’m Itaer and I’m running for CSM 19. I’ve been playing Eve since 2007, through many different play styles in many different areas of space, but my main interest has always been small gang PvP. In real life I’m an astrophysicist, so I have a lot of experience with data science, and I hope to bring that perspective to my discussions with CCP.

I respect your time, so I’ll keep this relatively short. There are three main things that I would like to focus on as one of your CSM members.

1. Communication. This is a tired subject (particularly when it comes to CSM campaigns), but that doesn’t mean it’s unimportant. Nearly every player I talk to is frustrated with CCP’s communication. Let’s take a look at the recent, controversial, update to skyhooks. The blog post (Link) uses vague language, e.g. “taking some of the advantage away from attackers”, “bolster the attractiveness of the structures”, and “To address the imbalance in raid dynamics”. What we don’t get is why the structures need to be made more attractive; is adoption low? Are there not enough reagents in the economy? What advantage do the attackers have; is this a timezone problem? Are defenders often late due to a too short link timer? A reader can’t understand what CCP actually sees as the problem, and thus, is unable to really judge proposed changes as solutions. This does not create productive conversations, because it lacks a “problem:solution” framework. If, instead, the blog laid out the problem clearly, for example: “Our metrics show that skyhook thefts are happening too often for the average nullsec resident to respond to, and are often happening while people are asleep. We want to slightly tone down the frequency of thefts to reduce the burden of defending your space, and we’d like to add in vulnerability windows so that going to bed isn’t as detrimental.” Now it’s easy to have productive conversations - for example, a meaningful question might be “how much vulnerability is too much?” Instead, we are left to scratch our heads at decision making which often appears out of touch and arbitrary. Eve players are deeply invested in the game, and are universally interested in why decisions are being made. Treat them as such.

As an example of how communication should be done, let’s take a look at a time CCP got it right - the Surgical Strike devblog (Link). In this blog post, they lay out specific goals, for example: “[…] there is a desire to begin exploring new rewards and tools for those brave pilots who are willing to get up close and personal.”, as well as why specific changes are being made to achieve those goals: “As a first step in this direction, there will be an increase to the damage of all close range Tech II ammo (excluding exotic plasma) by 15%”. This kind of communication allows players to have specific and productive feedback.

As we have all learned, CSM members have very little control over the development direction at CCP. I do not claim, nor intend, to change the way that Eve Online is run. What I can do, however, is listen to how CCP justifies upcoming changes and explain that to you, the community, as much as allowed by the NDA.

TL;DR, often CCP does not sufficiently explain why changes are made. I want to communicate as much as possible with the community regarding why changes are made, and encourage CCP to do the same.

2. Iteration As a long time Eve player, the lack of consistent iteration has long been the most frustrating part of CCP’s development style. There is an old player joke that “the ‘I’ in CCP stands for iteration”, and for good reason. Eve is a graveyard of half-finished ideas. Tiericide, mutaplasmids, proving grounds, incursions, the Drifter storyline, and many more. If there is any one thing that I would actually like to change as a CSM member, this is it. CCP needs to understand that even the most exciting new feature needs attention as the game ages.

Let’s once again focus on when CCP got it right. Last year we got two expansions which built on the same system. In Viridian, CCP finally took a serious look at faction warfare and added many changes that had been suggested by players for well over a decade. This rework shook up the systems, but the rework was so broad that it created many new issues with balance and gameplay. With the Havoc expansion, CCP took the time to iterate on those issues and expand the promise of the new systems created in Viridian. I want to see more of this. It is impossible for any team of developers to match the creativity and insight of the entire Eve community. Once a change is made or a feature added to the game, it is nearly guaranteed that the community will spot things that CCP did not - things to be changed, things which could be done better, and things which can be expanded. Once all the work has been done to build and polish and release a feature, iterating with community feedback is incredibly impactful. It is okay to make changes. In a game like Eve, stagnation is death. Please, just change things.

TL;DR I’d really like to push for more consistent iteration across older systems, and for a commitment to continuing iteration for new features. Tying into point 1, communication with the community is critical to successful iteration.

3. The little things. CCP Karkur’s little things thread has been one of the most successful community-facing development conversations in the history of Eve. I want to make sure that CCP continues this as an ongoing commitment. Let’s iterate on bookmark folder limits. Let’s add notes to ships in hangars. Let’s tie ACLs to corp roles. Let’s iterate on the skill extraction UI. Let’s consider expanding this effort to include a community polling system - something that may not be suited for balance changes, but could be super impactful when it comes to prioritizing which quality of life changes see dev time. More than anything, let’s hear a commitment to this. Let us hear that this is understood as important.

TL;DR I want to see CCP make a commitment to expanding and continuing the focus on “the little things”, which has led to some of the best changes ever.

Thank you for hearing me out.

13 Likes

Itaer would have never let skyhook changes happen, he gets my vote!

3 Likes

will vote for this guy. lots of good ideas, both QoL and overall great potential changes I see!

3 Likes

You’ve got my vote. You out in words what many of us are thinking.

4 Likes

You have my vote, this man is the right man for the job.

3 Likes

Good points. You’ll have my vote, buddy.

3 Likes

I support this man

3 Likes

This man knows his stuff about actual space things. And judging from the post above, he also knows about virtual space things as well.
He gets my vote.

2 Likes

I vote for this one.

Also buy my book.

2 Likes

Gets my vote for sure

2 Likes

Oooft a CSM member that actually logs in… I am not sure if the game is ready for that just yet.

anyway +1

5 Likes

I’ve known and played with Itaer a long time. He knows his stuff, listens and will be a major advocate for the players. Has my vote.

2 Likes

This guy gets my vote

2 Likes

+1 :handshake: have mine

2 Likes

Solid platform, and helluva solid bloke. Has my vote for sure!

2 Likes

Itaer is a genuinely passionate person. I see it when he talks about his field-of-IRL-study. I see it when he plays this game. I see it when he’s in a frigate. I see it when he’s in an AT ship. I see it when he tells the stories of “Back in the day”. I see it when he discusses the game’s direction, new updates, new features. I see it when he tells me to shut up. (With love.)

I wouldn’t think of voting for anyone else. Itaer is good at the game. Itaer is good for the game.

1 Like

If Yan gives you his vote you get mine

1 Like

This man is genuinely passionate about Eve. He has my vote.

When it comes to communication between CCP and the players, do you think that the stop of the proving grounds was communicated clearly and well to the players in the directors letters?
There is that story where they put 2 new events on SISI last December and then talked actively with the community about them. A few days later they took all down from SISI and we never heard anything about them.

Thats ■■■■■■■■ and you know it. Youve been tagged in several posts of ccp swift explaining to you that you shouldn’t believe everything you see on sisi and that the current expansion updates is why proving grounds arent back, which even swift said he loved the PGs