Linux Ubuntu + Steam + Proton = doesn't works

I’m running EvE successfully through Steam on Linux Mint on both my desktop and my laptop. Both are running it through Proton 5.0-10 using Dx11 settings.

The laptop worked pretty much out of the box.

The desktop has taken a little more work to get running, for reasons I don’t completely understand; I had to copy the launchdarkly pyd file from sisi to TQ (read this post: Client start exception after today update - steam [SOLVED] ), then add this to steam’s launch options: PROTON_LOG=1 %command%

After that EvE launched on the desktop with what I guess is a caching issue related to proton? I don’t know what the problem is, but my solution is to first try to open it under a more recent iteration of Proton, usually 7 or Experimental. That fails, then I switch back to 5.0-10 and it runs through a brief setup, purges a cache and then works just fine. Not an ideal solution, but a working one until I can figure out what’s actually going on and how to fix it.

My first recommendation to you is swap to Proton 5.0-10. That’s the last version of proton I’ve been able to consistently get it to work with. After that, if it still doesn’t launch, read that post and go searching to make sure the .pyd is in both sisi and TQ.

If you want more advice, I’d recommend being more specific with what you’re using, plus getting logs of the failed start and posting them here so someone more knowledgeable than me can go through and see what the actual issue is.

1 Like