[March] Jump Fatigue Changes

+1 ■■■■■■■ stupid of CCCP

Its Goons that are laughing.
This is exactly what they wanted to deploy their huge cap fleets more efficiently.

It does seem to make more sense that fatigue would be proportional to mass, as how movement through wormholes is calculated. It would give reason for a variety of ship classes to be deployed, as a 100 man macharial fleet that moves more easily than a 100 man carrier fleet offers a tactical advantage of mobility.

If the heavy stuff moves at the same speed as everything else, why even bother brining anything else?

EDIT: Nvm. Armor tank changes mass. This would unfairly disadvantage armor tanked caps.

1 Like

isn’t too much? from 4 days to 5 hours only?! and still somebody are dissatisfied?! this is GREED!!! don’t change this thing soo much. :smirk:
make it from 4 days 2 or 1 day but not few hours. :sunglasses: capital pilots will jump non-stop . then will need put lights everywhere to decrease traffic :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
complitelly disagree with soo big change

Welcome to Caps Online.

Guess who’s idea this was…

Protip: Who has most caps?

1 Like

+1 / thumbs up here

I rarely comment on these forums (as most of the changes you made to this game in the past 5 years have sucked)

…but i do like this change.

Does an armour tanked carrier really weight that much more?

We don’t need more changes that are going to make capital ships required for sov warfare or even worse make captial ships more common in faction warfare. We need changes that encourage more small ship fights. This is a bad change.

If only…

with the warp speed on capitals it still takes a significantly long time to make it even 10 jumps. Gate fatigue is a bit harsh and kinda unnecessary with how slowly they can actually travel (500mn mwd trick can get align to 10 seconds so not gonna mention alignment time
).

So what exactly hinders people now from enforcing the same force projection from before Jump Fatique was a thing?

1 Like

Mass/weight are two different concepts. (Pedantic)

Aside from that, yes, armor tanked caps have more mass than shield tanked ones, and it doesnt make sense to penalize them for that in regards to jump fatigue, because otherwise the stats of shield/armor tanked caps are reasonably balanced.

Adding the mass into the jump fatigue would basically eliminate armor caps from the meta.

Was it not the case some years ago that ‘travel fit’ capitals were all cap charger/relays in order to reduce recharge time?

Dunno, but we are talking about mass, and armor tanked ships have greater mass due to plate fitting.

Travel fitting would side-step that, but still, it doesnt really make mass a “thing” for jump fatigue.

Without a difference in jump speed for big ships vs smaller ones, there would not be much tactical advantage in taking smaller faster vessels. Create a difference and there is an opportunity for a sub cap fleet to strike first, or an undisciplined capital fleet to get strung out and isolated.

As a solo pvper and someone who hasnt used a capital in a fight since 2010, perhaps a viewpoint from someone who doesnt have much skin in the game would be valuable.

The Cyno and Jump game mechanic allows for an opportunity to hide fleets in other systems and then to spring surprise attacks on an enemy. This is a good thing as it adds variety to battles.

CCP came up with Jump Fatigue to introduce consequences for any entity who moved their capitals out of range of their home space and to try to force capital pilots to use gates for their mode of travel. Consequences for actions in game are always a good thing. Jump Fatigue also tried to allow smaller entities a chance to gain a foothold in Null sec, to decrease the amount of space any large entity could effectively control, and to decrease the amount of null sec space that had zero pilots in it because some large entity could instantly smash a smaller entity trying to use a patch of unused space.

The questions: Did the introduction of Jump Fatigue reduce the amount of unused null sec space? Did it allow smaller entities a chance to carve out their own slice of null sec? Did it increase the chances for pvp due to an increase in the number of smaller entities living in null sec?

It would seem CCP is making a mistake of thinking of Cyno and Jump game mechanics should be used for travel instead of as an ability to introduce more pvp options in a fight. Gates can be used for travel. If a capital fleet doesnt want to put their capitals at risk traveling gate to gate, it sounds like those people are too risk adverse and simply want to lesson the consequences of their own actions in game. Solo and small gang pvpers have given the Null Bear name to null sec residents for a reason.

Another set of questions: Will reducing jump fatigue decrease the number of entities in Null Sec because smaller entities currently living there get smash by someone living in another region due to the larger entities boredom? Will this decrease the amount of available pvp in null sec because fewer entities can compete with the large power blocs and decide to move elsewhere? Does the reduction of jump fatigue reduce the consequences of moving capitals further from home? These would seem to be a bad changes for the game if any are true.

If the Northern and Southern Power blocs have everyone near them set blue and are now bored because they got rid of all pvp opportunity within 30 to 50 jumps, isnt that their own fault? To be a healthy community, must Eve allow the single day travel of Capital/Super capitals all over the map so they can grind isk at home in greater safety than Low and High sec?

The skin I have in the game: I am a solo pvper who flys low sec looking for pvp. Before Jump Fatigue, bored capital pilots could regularly cyno in on 4 man Battleship fights, battle cruiser and even cruiser fights in low sec with little risk to themselves thus reducing the consequences of their own actions because they had a safe and fast way to travel all across new eden. It would be a travesty to allow capital pilots to have that ability back or increase that ability in any way simply because they are too risk adverse to use gates for traveling.

1 Like

If Carriers could travel at even battleship speeds that might be a viable perspective, but they don’t. Gate travel is infeasible above 3-4 gates if you expect to get anywhere any time soon. Roaming and travel are 100% infeasible with capitals. Taking region gates, yea that makes sense. Anything less, no way.

It has zero to do with risk aversion. I’ve got no problem taking a regional gate, because I know that the 80 other carriers and mixed supers/faxes with me are an excellent support group together. We’re not immune to being dropped on, risk is still present. Never the less, it has everything to do with the fact that capitals are slow as ■■■■.

Was thinking about that very thing after my post and is a good point. So the next question: Should Capital and Super Capitals have their warp speed Increased to ease movement of those assets while retaining the ability and restrictions of both the Cyno/Jump and Jump Fatigue game mechanics.

Perhaps increasing warp speed for capital and super capitals is where CCP should focus their attention instead of lowering Jump Fatigue. It would keep the Cyno and Jump mechanic available for battles and ease the pain of using gates for traveling so those assets can get to a battle.

1 Like

I have long hated the warp speed of even cruisers. They’re simply too slow. You say you roam in lowsec. In lowsec, you never have to travel far. Ever. I’m not saying you’ve never had to travel far, I’m saying that roams in lowsec are never going to cover much distance.

Frigates and destroyers are fine, but everything else is simply too slow… increasing carriers up to a viable speed (cruisers at worst) would make them simply too fast. Unless you’re looking for a massive meta-shift.

You might be surprised at how far a person must travel, even in militia areas, to find a fight. Sure, sometimes its easy. Log on, get into a fight in the system you logged onto in less than 5 minutes. Other times, main goes 15 jumps one direction, alt goes 15 jumps in opposite direction, and there is nothing. The pain of finding pvp is shared between different pod pilots, though I do agree it is not even. When the alliance your in Blues people within 30-50 jumps of home that is a problem, however, that problem is self made and the fault of the alliance for having too many blues.

Personally, I dont have a problem with warp speeds being too slow for BC on down. A cruisers warp speed is fast. Though it may be worth looking into increasing the warp speed of all ships if we look at increasing the speed of capital and super capital ships as a viable alternative to reducing Jump Fatigue.

Would increasing warp speed of all ships adversely affect small entities by increasing the power projection of large entities in a different way than the reduction of Jump Fatigue? or would it create more pvp opportunities for all?

Its interesting to think about.

1 Like