[March] Jumping and Tethering Changes

These are really good changes and a step in the right direction.

I was wondering though, would it be possible to test out further tethering changes on Sisi? I’d like to see no tethering on structures if you have the ability to dock in them. This would remove tethering from subcaps (making fights on structures more viable) while still allowing capitals to tether on smaller structures and supers/titans to tether on anything after the delay.

Really bad change, theres already enough risk involved in using capitals. And there are already plenty of isk sinks in the game.

1 Like

I like the idea behind this but I think the implementation is off. I would suggest that there be a scaled delay based on the size difference:

1. Two size categories too large to dock (e.g. super at a medium): 30s
  2. One size category too large to dock (e.g. super at a large): 15s
  3. Able to dock (e.g. super at an extra large): No delay

This means there is never complete safety unless you can dock however how safe travel is scales with infrastructure investment. For example, moving supers around with a constant 30s delay means you will always be safe the fastest by warping to a POS using the MWD trick as long as you’ve scouted the POS grid (yet another alt required) whereas with a 15s delay on forts it is probably better to just stay on grid.

I think having a delay if you’re able to dock is purely annoyance and doesn’t achieve anything for gameplay. It just forces people to dock and then immediately undock, which involves a bunch of session changes and crowds the undock when large fleets get bridged.

I’d also display the timer up in the top left like the gate cloak and jump fatigue timers.

2 Likes

Rough change for JF pilots - 30secs is too long let them tether right away .

Lucky that JFs can dock at any upwell structure.

all the more reason to just exempt JF s - makes life less complicated for all .

Just make it so you can’t cyno within 25km of a medium structure. Easy pease. Would mean that folk would have to cyno at perches just like with the old pos mechanic. As for the
Large and xl those imo are more station like and since they are so costly there is no reason to change the mechanic on them.

During the jump freighter invulnerability can they still be bumped off with a mach?

Null and lowsec logistics is way too safe as it is. Using a jf should involve risk. It shouldn’t be undock from my citadel and instantly tether; jump to my safe citadel and instantly dock up; then undock and warp directly to hs.

@CCP_Fozzie Bad idea. Large groups with lots of isk will have a fortizar network to move capitals. So those caps can just dock. Where as smaller groups who cannot afford a fortizar for every jump point will be penalized. If you want to introduce this type of mechanic it just needs to be a flat like 10 seconds or something before you can dock tether. That way the little guy who cannot afford a fort/keep network is feeling the same level of hurt that the big guy is. The change is motivated by a universal dissatisfaction of the safety of movement on all structures. So the fix should be a universal change to all structures. As you currently have it slated. He who has the most isk and the biggest structures is the safest. There are a few alliances in nullsec who have expansive Keepstar networks so under your suggested change these entities are impervious. Whereas small alliance X who can’t afford the same network is penalized more.
So jump -> up to 30 sec max invul timer - > 10(30) second vulnerable state -> dock or tether ability available.

Please allow tethered people to get jumped off by command destroyers or introduce a tether timer that would work like the cloak timer after jumping a stargate. The main focus is to make the tether effect limited so afk on the undock of a citadel isn’t extremely safe. I do a lot of small gang PvP, and citadels are broken in regards to small gang. We have no reason to go to one because there is 0 incentive except for only killing time. Also, it’s great when people go afk on a citadel and you can’t gank/fight them because it’ll take you a solid 3 minutes to bump them and they can safely dock or kill you with the citadel at any point during that time.

Lol no. Citadels are a replacement for POS.

Seems like POSs were broken as it was, so I don’t get your point. Plus you couldn’t dock in POSs.

Why capital ships that cannon dock can still tether?

Yes, the mechanism is broken and the planned change is not addressing it appropriately.

Jump + teether (+log off) provides similar safety as docking for non industrial capitals. They either should be ready to fight and make a stand or dock at an appropriate size structure.

Read this change along with the jump fatique change - caps will move with fast consequent jumps to one direction (after cap-recharge) then rest in the final destination.

The other side: JF (and Rorq) move will be degraded, indy platforms will not be able to efficiently engage even single target (see upwell 2) and JF/R will not be tethered until docked or jumped forward. So this chage basically force JF to dock and render the fatique change irrelevant for them.

So - take away the tethering if you cannot dock and no need for timer. It will take away the pressure from medium size platforms as they would be tactically much less relevant.

Why not complain about docking being “broken”? And the point of being able to have ships undocked in safety is so that you can organise ■■■■ to engage in a fight without worrying about people getting stuck in blackscreen.

I mean you actually want a fight right? You aren’t just concerned about your ability to gank targets that can’t effectively fight back right?

Because citadels are a replacement for POS. People should be able to use supercaps without needing a Keepstar.

I’m not saying the proposed changes are bad, I’m saying they don’t go far enough to reach everybody in eve. They only change it for people that regularly use capitals and have the back-up to fight against capitals on a citadel. Basically, give everybody a way to fight at a citadel, not just the many.

Tie Jump Fatigue to the teather/dock penalty. “Low Power” means no tether for caps.
If the sov is owned by said pilot, less of a penalty.
If the sov isn’t, more of a penalty.

They definetely can use supercaps without tethering - and this is nothing to do with the change. Now they take no risk when moving (immediate tethering) post this change they would take risk (delay in tethering and they can be engaged thus preventing tethering.

The planned change differs from my suggestion only one point: supercaps can stage safely for unlimited time without docking at any upwell structures - after surviving the delay timer.

Citadels are a replacement for POS. The requirement to be able to use a super without being at risk of getting dropped because you want to refuel shouldn’t be to have access to a Keepstar. This change basically takes moving a super back to how it was before Citadels.