Mike Azariah for CSM 18

I always tell those who worry about the NPE, to create an alpha alt and run through it. Mike does regularly

Cool question. If and when we get onto the CSM you can ask CCP if they have stats on how each NPE has performed in retention.

In my opinion the wider the lesson set, the more ‘tastes’ the new player can experience the better chance we have of finding something that they like. The old NPE was, as you said, kind of mine, save, and learn. I have heard folks ask if we can even put PvP into the NPE but I would like to see how they propose doing so that would not wind up being a chum pool for the veteran sharks.

The problem with a broad curriculum for the new players is that parts of it will not be what they want to do. A narrow curriculum faces the same problem in reverse. If what we teach first is not to their taste then there is little mention of other choices. Either way we might lose players so it comes down to which causes LESS loss.

I made a Vid summarizing what is taught in the basic tutorial (not including the career set) and it is no small thing that they try to get the players to absorb.

I wonder if we could push CCP to make an ‘Optional Lesson Set’ that taught Pochven, PvP, WH and Abyssals. Or should we leave such lessons to the experts (the players.

m

3 Likes

I support this product and/or service

1 Like

I like Mike

@Mike_Azariah you are correct in this stance with materials in question.

NPE retention is a concern, and maybe the flavor of what is in the games activity training might be of interest as well.

Maybe an exploration site training mission needs not be one can, but a few with players searching all of them to find the item they need to redeem to end the mission.

Also in a strange way as well the old NPE, had two tiers of combat oriented missions. Combat and Advanced Combat. With a final large scale battle mission that you got to watch, and loot if you were patient and creative enough to understand that opportunity.

So I think flavor tutorials might be in order. Because you can teach players the base mechanics, but also give them small bonuses and loot that can help them get started.

1 Like

It’s not that hard to think of ideas, if you want to.

1 Like

Sure, but as a professional I would lay out the parameters I wished to see met and the goals in place.

Goal: Introduction to PvP
Parameters:

1. Allow new pilots to have a PvP experience without involving veterans of the game (sharks)
  2. Limit the ability to ‘buy a win’
  3. Minimum new assets needed to implement

Mikes idea #1 Arena (heck the assets are there and unused, currently)
Entry ONLY to those less than 2 mill sp and less then 3 kills
Optional but will count towards AIR requirements
Ships- corvettes only

m

1 Like

Babying new players does not improve retention.

1 Like

I disagree but it is not too late to run against me. Join the race.

m

4 Likes

No thanks.

3 Likes

@Mike_Azariah would you back any idea mentioned below as CSM member?

1. Insane idea - pay with PLEX in NES for extra dev time
  2. Quafe+ is from "biomass" (...or corpse reprocessing)
  3. Little things / Small QoL suggestions - Better Visibility Of Other Players’ PI Networks
  4. Little things / Small QoL suggestions - 13 requests for Stack Split enhancment since Jun’18
  5. Little things / Small QoL suggestions - PI KB-shortcuts for toggling between groups of structures

Okay, let’s hit these one at a time

1. Plex for dev time- I pay for Eve already and that includes dev time. We have elections of the CSM to help influence where some of said dev time goes. So that is gonna be a no from me, dawg.

2. Quafe from biomass. first, ew. HOWEVER I have asked for a ‘people reprocessing’ function, just not turning them in soft drinks. Convert slaves to freed slaves (or vice versa if you are a slaver). Just not a real fan of soylent green.

3. Visibilty of PI? Sure, why not? If you have decent plante scanning skills you should get such info

4. Split stack enhancements. Yes, most of those have usage cases and make sense

5. A set fo shortcuts for PI would be nice, new section and all. The clickfest that it is could use some shortening

m

5 Likes

Glad you’re back, big M. You’ll have my votes, as always.

@Mike_Azariah

It seems I missed the bus posting my questions last night

1. What has CCP got correct?
  2. What has CCP got incorrect?
  3. What do you wish existed in-game that doesn’t?
  4. What exists in-game that you wish didn’t?
  5. What exists in-game that you think ought to continue to exist?
  6. What doesn’t exist in-game that you hope never comes into existence?
  7. How would you improve PI?
  8. How would you improve the entire corporation UI?

Okay, let us take a look at these.

1. What has CCP got correct?

Talking to players. Not just the CSM mind you although that is part of it, roundtables at Fanfests, surveys (such as they are), talking to player experts who were NOT elected when need be, and hiring from the player base. All of these make for strong lines of communication between CCP and the players.

1. What has CCP got incorrect?

Well the blithe answer would be ‘not always listening to the players’ in spite of my answer to number 1. But I think it goes deeper than that and is an internal problem of growth and age . . . I think CCP at times does not communicate internally enough so those who do ‘know’ cannot warn marketing when they have some ‘great new idea’ to generate revenue.

1. What do you wish existed in-game that doesn’t?

Oh so many cool ideas that players have come up with. Temporary structures for footholds or player equivalent of a FOB. ‘Scan spoofers’ that would make a Titan look like a Frigate on scan and vice versa. But if you want one answer? A few more sci fi dream possibilities . . . players come into the game wanting to be a Wily Smuggler or a Bounty Hunter and we do not really have the mechanics for those professions in game.

1. What exists in-game that you wish didn’t?

Spam spam spam spam . . . bloody vikings. Recruit spam, hypernet spam, can spam around the stations.

1. What exists in-game that you think ought to continue to exist?

The ability for players to make a mark, leave a mark. The monuments, the cemetery, billboards, skins, logos, and heraldry. The ability to make it personal.

1. What doesn’t exist in-game that you hope never comes into existence?

Golden ammo. Pay to win.

1. How would you improve PI?

I only dabble in PI, I am old and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is always a possibility (along with arthritis) Templates and save set-up features along with ‘process all’ buttons would be nice

1. How would you improve the entire corporation UI?

The corp UI makes sense to me MAINLY because I am a Certified Novell Administrator. But it is arcane and obscure to most folks. CCP once printed out all they knew about corp mechanics . . . I saw the book, it was 100+ pages. And we keep tacking on more and more features, titles, tasks, and possibilities. It is not a sexy topic and in theory only bothers those select individuals who try to run corps, alliances, coalitions but damn if it does not need streamlining and/or a full tutorial on how all of it works.

I do want to say this, though, there are a LOT of good answers to these questions spread across a lot of very good candidates. But make no mistake, we do not get to go to Reykjavik and nail these demands to the church door. CCP does, in some years, give us (the CSM) a chance to present ideas, elevator pitches or full presentations. Some have taken root and some have fallen on barren ground.

You are looking for CSMs who may represent YOU so use these battery question posts as a way to get a feel for what sort of person you might be voting for. Will they be good people to represent you and can they communicate well.

m

1 Like

Yeah you’re talking about me here, I wanted to be a space junk salvager. Instead I can collect pennies after finishing PVE content or just be in search of carrion after a big battle. There’s very little personal autonomy in those pursuits. I wish wormholes had some salvaging sites that made sense in the whole I’m a space-junk trader way. I almost envy exploring, with its little mini-game.

This a really great and unique answer to a really great and unique phenomena.

You’ve caught me in the act.

Ain’t that the truth.

Thanks for your answers I’d heart you but I’ve run out of hearts.

I basically wasn’t planning on asking you, or Angry or Mike, or Mark since I already pretty much know the character of these candidates - From Oz’s thread

Is that a good thing or a bad thing, to be known? My thread has been fairly quiet and I wonder if it is because I am known or because I am being ignored.

m

btw mike, your youtube vid where you discussed the CSM minutes, you asked if people had any ideas for new ships.

So…

-SOE Fax please, just because it will be beautiful eye candy I’m sure (nods at art team) and the ship tree needs it.

-Racing interceptor, 0 m3 cargo space, no guns or combat mods, nulified, fast as ■■■■, (why we have the shuttle? For racing!)

-Triglavian mining barge for mining suns and making jaffles.

New module: Direct Illumination Systems Circumfulgent Optics - D.I.S.C.O module

“Once activated, It has a state of the art disco ball effect encompassing the ship in a sphere with random white light bursts, the hull of the ships has a similar effect to the active armor modules but in varying colours, and the shields have a glitter effect.”

Best of luck this year Mike, HS really needs you right now.

1 Like

Mike will probably be the only candidate for whom I will vote. The reason is that he is the only one whom I have seen active in-game, he is the only one I have seen active and responsible in these fora, and he is the only one whom I have any reason to trust and believe. Oh, and about 90-95% of his ideas have been sensible; the only time I have ever disagreed with him was in the banning of MTUs in nursery systems, when it would have been far simpler just to ban renaming them, since he was worried they would be used for can spam.

So, my vote is “Simples”, to quote a UK television advertising icon.

1 Like

No support from me– In my opinion, you egg’d on continued and sustained harassment of people in game not within the “Tranquility Gamer Guild” That comprises of the members of the Tranquility consortium. This includes IRL harassment. :-1: