Minmatar/Caldari: Relations

A citizen of the State is a citizen. It does not mean Caldari lineage or descent. Just guests afforded rights by a magnanimous nation.

A magnanimous nation that just happens to have come in and given them no choice about their world becoming a part of that nation?

Hm. That sounds familiar…

2 Likes

If they disagree, then they can fight and build their capabilities to defend their identity if they so choose.

The Federation is the only place that actually styles itself as a multicultural melting pot though.
The other three empires are, well, varying degrees of “assimilate or get lost”.

Whether you consider that to be right or wrong is a matter of personal opinion. As for me, I live by an Achuran proverb - one doesn’t bring one’s own code to another’s monastery.

2 Likes

I knew there was a reason I liked you.

Yes, I think a melting pot is just as impractical an idea as “assimilate or get out” . In fact, I would argue that the melting pot concept is assimilation. It assumes that there is a culture that all other cultures are less than and must merge with.
Perhaps there is a better alternative than either of these. Clearly none of the existing cultures within the empires have agreed to cease to exist.

2 Likes

Thank you for that clarification @Veikitamo_Gesakaarin.

2 Likes

Yeah no thanks, I don’t want foreigners to assimilate or get lost – just get lost. Because you cannot assimilate into being Caldari, you are born and raised as one, or you are not. If you are not then you should live segregated in your own ethnic enclaves if within the State to prevent contamination of Caldari society.

Doesn’t make you any less hypocritical.

2 Likes

How? I have never said the Gallente should not have tried to impose their values and political system on Caldari. I have said they should not complain about Caldari taking their technology and ideas for their own benefit so as not to be imposed upon.

If the Achur accept their position and status as a client people then that’s what they do. They can’t be forced to take pride in their culture enough to fight for it.

To whom are you replying to here?

2 Likes

S Have you ever heard of the phrase Open hold the five colors flag
And i have song for you
Ambitions to the sky, ambitions to the sky
Today the good men go serve their country
Ambitions to the sky, ambitions to the sky
Today the good men go serve their country
The soaring iron wings shake mountains and rivers
Sweep clouds and smokes; rock the sun and moon
The soaring iron wings shake mountains and rivers
Sweep clouds and smokes; rock the sun and moon
We need to be full of wisdom and bravery
High in virtue and ethics
Skilled in art and combat
Like the flying tiger and the leaping water dragon
Strive hard for greatness
Never forget the pains endured
Shoulder the rise and fall of our world
Forever guard the ten-thousand-mile sky
Shoulder the rise and fall of our world
Forever guard the ten-thousand-mile sky

A fair point. I suppose, however, that the Federation wants to present the idea as not one culture subsuming the lesser ones, but as a new culture being made by incorporating others and their best traits.
It doesn’t quite seem to work out that way - otherwise the Caldari wouldn’t be pissed off enough to leave - but hey, nobody’s perfect.

2 Likes

Oh, you mean, given your other comments, that it would be nice if we gave Templis sympathizers like you (are currently, and frequently, probably-pretending to be) an excuse to annihilate us completely?

An important note, pilots: Veikitamo Gesakaarin speaks for what she wishes the State was like. It isn’t completely unlike that, but there’s a reason the Templis Dragonaurs are recognized as criminals. Those who convert to merge with Caldari culture fully are officially considered Caldari. That’s the situation for most ethnic Achura. It’s just that the standards for doing so are pretty high-- in general, you’re not allowed to keep basically anything of who you were before-- so immigration rates are pretty low.

The Achura who exist as a client people, to whom this creature issues a dare to challenge “her” people in an unwinnable fight, are a minority of our own blood. The others are Caldari corporate citizens, mostly of SuVee. That’s the way of it. Even if Veik and her master/father/whatever-he-is disagree.

You don’t speak for the State, Veikitamo Gesakaarin, any more than I do.

Poor puppet, you most likely don’t even speak for yourself.

3 Likes

Well, that’s the way it used to be, at least. I’m afraid that the effects of this Provist brouhaha of a few years ago will be felt for quite some time. Random lynchings aren’t something prospective citizens would easily forget.

2 Likes

Isn’t it curious though that members of the dominant culture don’t think that their culture is being improved so much as the mainline culture is improving the other cultures? You often see the dominant culture adopting safe tokenized practices of the less dominant cultures as evidence of improvement, but insisting the less dominant cultures adopt wholesale changes to theirs.

I think that there is a lot that is good about the Federation. So if I’m critical of it it’s only because I wish to make it better. For myself as well as others.

2 Likes

If they were to be switched around, the larger culture would still subsume the smaller. It’s just the way of things - one chorus is just louder and drowns out the other. Perhaps it’s only natural.
The only time this doesn’t happen is when the lesser culture is seen as both exotic and more developed, thus turning its adoption by the larger one as a sort of a fad. But the examples of this are rare and none are from recent history.

A commendable sentiment, but you do have your work cut out for you. Quite a few of the uglier aspects of the Federation are hard to see and even harder to change.

Not to imply, of course, that everything’s terrible. I may have found a better home elsewhere, but having spent considerable chunks of my life in three out of four empires of the cluster, I’ve found something to admire in each of them.

2 Likes

Pretty simply: You wouldn’t want to be treated a certain way, yet you advocate treating others that way.

2 Likes

Perhaps, but just because something is natural it doesn’t automatically make it good, healthy or wise.

I’ve never had the delusion that this would be easy. Your words are encouraging nonetheless. At least it sounds like you think positive change is possible.

2 Likes

Oh. Uh. Arrendis, Veik’s actually pretty consistent on this theme: the part of the State’s dealings with the Achura she disapproves of is the uplift and conversion. According to her (at least recently), the State should just have left us undisturbed at the bottom of our gravity well and let us develop, or not, in our own time.

Mind, if there was a resource there that the State could benefit from, well, she’s a little cagey about it, but given the choice she’d rather wipe our people out without touching our culture than recognize people who are “not of the snows” as Caldari. Racial (and cultural) genocide before racial or cultural compromise.

It doesn’t involve even approaching what she sees as the Gallentean sin, so really it makes sense in a Templis Dragonaur “far as I’m concerned we’re real people and you’re not” kind of way.

So, it’s not exactly hypocritical. It’s just awful.

So, very Veik.

(Assuming she truly believes a word of it, that is. It’s probably the single most common line of ideology she claims, though; I’m not quite sure she’s ever actually claimed to have another.)

4 Likes