Moderation of the Forums

Context matters. Forum communication is by written words. Thats why I wrote about it. :keyboard:

Context is what I’m saying should be taken into consideration when moderating. Which is why I’m confused what you exactly meant by “disruptive wording”.

I can say something with curse words without it being offensive. In the same vein, I can say something that’s a personal attack and appalling without using any expletives. Words and phrases shouldn’t be what’s the basis for moderation. The intent should be.

In my view, an elaborate “no” doesn’t require moderation. While on the other hand, falsely accusing others and shutting down discussion cause they disagree with an argument, has more ground for moderation. That’s if we want a heavily moderated forum.

My personal opinion is that the forums should have low moderation, where both of the above would be permitted.

2 Likes

Disable Alpha posting and you wouldn’t need heavy moderation.

5 Likes

Me too.

Of course words and phrases with context are what forum moderation have to work with.

I was not referring to you. I had someone else in mind.

Dude, it’s a spaceship game…pls

1 Like

I think you’ll find most of the more prolific posters are probably on omega accounts. Even if a few claim to be alphas

1 Like

I think opinion is not nearly as legitimate as actually getting rid of Alphas would be to confirm your little hypothesis.

1 Like

Probably. But in one case we also do harm to the alpha’s who are decent posters.
While in holding an opinion I don’t do harm to said alpha’s.

Without having the statistics that only CCP can pull, we have no idea what proportion of harm would be done.

I like to read imaginative threads that draw me into the conversation.

Isn’t there a specific forum for fan fiction?

“hit the table and the scissors will speak up” :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Yes, that proverb suits very well to how all these ‘nice guys’ act.

On the previous implementation of the forum, there were days when almost every thread on the first page of General Discussion was locked.

Moderation was much more focused on enforcement back then, and accompanied by far more complaints than we see these days.

CCP’s approach to (devblog)

Has worked. For the most part threads seem to stay open longer and people have more of a voice individually than they did in the past.

However, if threads go off topic, complaining about the ISDs is the wrong target. Just don’t engage in the behaviour that perpetuates it if you don’t like it.

Self moderation is a better answer than complaining that the ISDs should be hitting us with more sticks.

4 Likes

Welcome back… o7

1 Like

:grinning: Thanks. I didn’t really leave. Lurking more than anything. There’s just a lot of “sameness” in topics at the moment, so most days I don’t really have much to add that I haven’t already said before.

Well you always bring a good tone to the discussions so it’s nice to see your name again…

The worlds a pretty heavy place right now so I think some of that is creeping in here (more than normal).

3 Likes

I post on the forums to piss off people so I can learn. Intelligent input is in short supply here. Welcome back.

If rules are enforced less, there will be more people engaging in disturbing behavior.
Saying to them “just dont engage”, doesnt work.

1 Like