Mutaplasmid Angst - did CCP err in listening to players?

Would you like a pack of Tarot cards, or would you like me to scan my palmprint for you to read?

Although I will say this for the record: if I have stated that I “hate” CCP, then I would be very surprised. Please point me to the post where I made that proclamation. No quotes, as quotes can be taken out of context. Just point me to the post. And if such a post exists, where within context I said that I unambiguously declared my hatred for the dev team, then I will right here and now denounce and reject such a proclamation. Such vile expulsions have no place within me and certainly do not belong on their official forums. I will unequivocally denounce it and apologize to the people on the receiving end of that splurge. The people who work on the game are doing their jobs as best they can, and do not deserve that sort of vile garbage.

You best not be making such accusations lightly.

1 Like

Ok, despise would be more accurate that hatred, but that’s close enough for me. At least that’s what I read when you blame them to be incompetent and short sighted.

Onto the mutaplasmid then.

Only about one on two hundred mutated modules will have the same fitting. Anyone who already tried to fit a ship knows that 2 CPU or 10 PG can make the difference between another meta instead of T2 module. Hence, a mutated module will (except in rare occasions) require that you adapt your fit to it.
If two modules other than the mutated one on a fit are different, they are two different fit. Hence, you cannot copy/paste your fit. Which preclude mutaplasmid from being part of any standard thing. And I talked here only about fitting. But range and capacitor usage for example are values that you might need to reach certain requirements for your fit to be viable, which increase the the tolerancy you have to have for the fitting, because ship stats are what define it’s viability in space, fitting only has to follow.

I will link the definition of standard then : Standard Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster
Of course we are not talking about banners :

something established by authority, custom, or general consent as a model or example : criterion
quite slow by today’s standards

As mutated modules are all different, by definition you cannot establish a criterion with them all.

Now I’m sure you would talk about mutated modules in general being a requirement because of a supposed power creep. But again, as the average of mutation is worse than the base module, mutated modules cannot establish any other standard that faction modules don’t already do. Faction webs for example are far more damaging to the meta than mutated modules can be because you can (and many people do) have standard fits with them, and isks can buy them easily. With mutated modules, you can’t, because if you focus on one stat, the others will be all over the place, and if you focus on several stats, the module will be rarer than AT prize ships.

This will be my last reply specifically to you, because I’m getting nothing from this.

You can’t even keep the term you are claiming I used incorrectly straight? You claimed that mutated modules cannot become the norm…

I’ll make it very simple for you: If more actively flown ships use abyss modules than non-abyss modules, then abyss modules are the norm.

So abyss modules can be the norm, and you were wrong. It’s very simple really, I’m surprised I needed to elaborate this…

Of course if you consider that sudenly people will all start to use EFT and create their own fits to use mutated modules, I’d say you are very optimistic.

Also, from the merriam-webster again :

norm : an authoritative standard : model

Do they? What different kind of unpredictability or variety do they offer that existing modules with the same stats don’t? The only unpredictability they offer is that no one knows what they are because their stats don’t show in kill mails. Is that the unpredictability that you mean? A module with the stats of an A-Type Repper is just that: A module with stats of an A-Type repper. And until you die, no one knows how you are fitted because except for Bhaalgorns on capitals and Tornados to gank, no one fits cargo or ship scanners to figure out your fitting. So, what are you talking about?

2 Likes

Can you think?

Oh NVM you must be CPP alt :epic facepalm:

For all the people that replied and are no CCP alt but cannot think either:

The OP mods will be rare no worries, it’s only meant for credit card players so they have a chance too in killing others, just like experience players.

No reason to be mad about this chance, it won’t make or break eve…it will only keep the servers up a few months longer :heart_eyes:

Wait CCP listened to players?

Is that why they introduced a battleship (Leshak) that costs over a bill to buy it and isn’t really any better than the ones for half the price? That’s listening?

Awesome lets add a 1000 more ships that no one will ever use because they were created to be stupidly expensive and we all know how EvE players treat ships like that.

You cant take the ■■■■ side of EvE you don’t like and blame the players it squarely falls on the devs hands for ALL the choices. Now go back to playing in your predictably cheap ships and telling us how we should be flying the exact thing that we warned was going to be too expensive too fly before release.

I guess its easier to point out what you hate instead of reality.

We could all be flying 3 more new ships but the reality is we will all fly none because they are all a waste of money. Great expansion.

I’m talking about all the stats you can alter with mutaplasmids that are not modified by faction modules. Like MWD/AB speed, neutralizer, web or disruptor range, etc.

That doesn’t matter. A module with the stats of another is just like that other module. That’s not unpredictability or variety.

1 Like

We’re going to have a communication problem here, because you are conflating criticism of work with personal feelings. You personally are also going to have major problems in your life if you cannot distinguish between the two. These two concepts (criticism of work, personal feelings) are not interchangeable in any way, shape, or form. They are wholly distinct. Much like your primary school teacher might have subtracted points from your math test when you got something wrong, does not in any way imply that they disliked you as a student.

If you feel that criticisms, or heck, even just pointing out the obvious, counts as a personal attack of some sort, then every discussion with you is going to be a personal battle. Including this discussion. That is not acceptable nor constructive to any discussion. It would be best if you disabused yourself of this viewpoint immediately. For what it’s worth, now that I know why you accused me of hating CCP, I’ll retract that “basement psychic” comment and apologize for it. But you need to be able to distinguish between criticism, constructive criticism, wrongheaded attacks, and personal attacks.

Back onto the topic at hand now, if people are discussing mutes being the new “norm” it might have something to do with a dev once saying that “it’s okay if someone has a mutated longer-range neut, because you’ll have a mutated longer-range web”. Balance discussions aside, the implication was that everyone would have something mutated to give them some random edge in battle, hence “new norm”. Not that a mutated neut with 10% extra range would be the norm, but that everyone would have something mutated to give them an edge, and they would theoretically cancel each other out. I think that comment was eventually walked back and I think that the launch of Abyss in no way mirrors that sentiment. But that’s my bit to hopefully try to help you and Shai understand one-another a bit better.

2 Likes

I only brought up the idea of mutated mods becoming the norm to explore the implications. When I search contracts right now for XL abyssal SB I find 54 contracts (excluding multiple item contracts). Imagine if this count was 20x bigger? It’s already a pain to look through 54…

The same holds for killmails. Right now it’s not a huge deal because the modules are scarce … but if they were more prominent killboards would be way off on kill valuations.

It’s clear the game does not currently accommodate these modules to the extent that it should. Trying to give them a more prominent role than that which has been given would have just been a (bigger) mess.

High-end mutated modules aren’t going to be commonplace because the Gravid and Unstable mutaplasmids are very rare, very expensive and are not worth using on anything less than A or X-type Deadspace variants (with some Faction exceptions like plates and batteries). Even then, the chance of getting all favorable attributes is something like 5%.

I have an X-Type large armor repairer (probably worth 150m ISK). I got an Unstable large armor mutaplasmid in an Abyssal drop and current market price places it around 750m ISK. So do I risk bricking close to 1-billion ISK worth of gear for the small chance of improving my X-Type or sell the Unstable mutaplasmid to someone with more ISK than they know what to do with?

The X-Type is already overkill for what I need running L4 missions (it offered the best HP/s per ISK) and having a billion-ISK Abyssal module is not only more than the cost of the hull - but makes it a huge gank magnet.

I think you’re accidentally mixing up cause and effect here. The Leshak isn’t as expensive as it is, because CCP wants it to be. They don’t plan for specific prices items should have. All they probably did was to make sure that Leshaks aren’t totally flooding the market, which is not to drive up its price, but to prevent it becoming a cheap competitor to already existing Battleship markets. They do this by setting droprates for the parts you need to build the ship as well as the BPCs.

If more Mutaplasmids were to drop from these sites, more people would continue to run them and in turn the price for any Triglavian ships would go down.

If more mutaplasmids drop, their supply increases and price drops, reducing incentive to run them.

1 Like

You should indeed.

This is a very good answer to his question on my post as well. EvE doesn’t need haphazard RNG, it needs a balanced approach.

My problems with Abyssal space were the lack of need for mutaplasmids, the inevitably boring content of Abyssal space, and the fish-eye view in that space.

• Mutaplasmids - The biggest objection I have is that mutaplasmids don’t answer any problem. There’s no issue to which these are the solution.

• Repetitive content: Abyssal space is just more go through an acceleration gate, there is a group of rats, shoot them content. It fails to bring the sort of realism to PVP that NPC mining fleets seemed to promise. The idea that anoms which contain a thriving, busy NPC station could be the destination for mission running or ratting, and that the NPC’s might act like humans and try to get away, warp in assistance, scale their response to how many players are on grid, and gradually increase the resistance and payout allowing everyone to play them? That sounded neat. Randomize the content a little? Cool. Abyssal space - oh look, it is drone configuration number 5. And there is the drifter and his cruisers. Oh look, the Drone BS and his little drones again. Now there are circadian seekers and drones. Look, it is sleepers. Yawn.

• The fish eye lensing effect makes me nauseous on my huge monitor. I hate it. I feel trapped and unable to see effectively.

And the loot is utter ■■■■ and only trig crap.

Resource Wars is flawed in the same sort of way: It’s boring, it doesn’t scale to player skill, it doesn’t offer any sort of payout, it takes up beacon space in the overview, and the loot is complete ■■■■.

Drifters are flawed in the same way: They are boring, they don’t scale to players on grid, it’s the same, there’s no decent payout, and the risk vs. reward is huge.

Most PVE in Eve all has the same flaws. The game should sense you have a buddy and toss double the rats on grid or ramp up their resists and DPS. It should sense that you have ■■■■ skills or a weak ship and ramp down the resists and DPS. As risk goes up, so should reward. The loot shouldn’t be ■■■■. And the environment should feel like you are in a real place and the NPCs should act like humans. There should be haulers, miners, people coming and going, and your battle shouldn’t necessarily alarm everyone until things start to get ugly.

Now there is tons of different boring PVE in Eve that all has the same fundamental flaws, lack of realism, lack of immersion, and lack of payout.

Gets in VNI, and orbits a rock AFK.

It’s a solution to a solved metagame. Besides, why should anything added to the game be a solution to one of its supposed problems ?

Also, a note to those who dispise the triglavian ships : most of the AT flag ships are Leshak this year.

1 Like

yes it does. You get items for running them.
“it’s boring”. If you do hundreds of them I guess it becomes. Like anything. Try gatecamping …

1 Like