My Opinions after 1 month playing

I’ve often seen it said that noobs should just go out and lose ships and learn. Whilst it is true that there is always something to be learned, the real problem for noobs is that if you know your ship is going to be better next week…it is easier just to wait until next week. Just being part of the meat grinder and a source for someone else’s kills really isn’t fun. A more cautious approach, as in my case, does require a huge degree of patience, though, and takes a lot longer to pay off.

That’s only becuase fw is one of the only ways to do pve and pvp in the same fit, if more things where like this isk/h would not be very relevent, unfortunitly most pve is boring as hell.

2 Likes

Don’t call my idea of a wheel ( of fortune ) ‘warped’, how dare you?
Probably the best idea for EVE since blackout.

1 Like

You do realize it would become the Triglavian triangle of fortune right? :joy:

Also you are going to run out of likes lol

1 Like

:joy: woe is isk…

First time I ran out I had a panic attack… looked to buy PLEX to get forum hearts but stopped… I’m better than that I thought to myself.

1 Like

I know I was tempted too:

Disclaimer its not real incase there is that person somewhere that asks…

2 Likes

34 more days until I have enough skills trained to manage a good argument, lol… I hope they don’t nerf it before I get there.

2 Likes

Let’s unpack this, as you are greatly oversimplifying things.

First are foremost, there are a number of ways to make isk. Some activities are more fun than others, and some activities will make more isk than others over the same period of time.

Mining, data/relic exploration, combat/DED exploration, anoms, etc.

And for each activity, there different methods to about them, some more efficient than others – and the drive of the players to optimize for more efficiency, and further more efficiency.

This leads us to this “Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game”
a more detailed explanation and how we get to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBlTp9GQlHo

Which leads to: categorize the activities by isk/hr, and then temper expectations and REMEMBER TO HAVE FUN. You don’t need to use the perfect min/maxed ship with the min/maxed strategy, there is fun to take combat ventures into FW, taking sub-optimal fits into the abyss, and there is fun to take things at half speed while you are more focused on troll-posting in good nature in the recruitment chat of the morons who wardec’d your corp.

you can make isk AND have fun at the same time…in fact, it’s more important to make sure that you are doing so. Don’t optimize out the ‘fun’ of the game in order to get a little better isk/hour efficiency.

1 Like

The sad part is you totally ignored the effect others have on your game, since this is a MMO.

It’s not that easy and the company incentivize players to do so.

Very naive opinion.

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Maybe he should try scamming and/or begging in Jita local then. :wink:

Should have just created a new account with using a referral code for free 1 mil unallocated SP.

3 Likes

From the way how he put that, this information was kept away from him from ISDs who recommended him completely opposite approach. If it is true, I would say that they have their notes…

He could do both, recover old account AND make a new one, then once he got the old one back could have decided what to do with it. If had anything of value but skill-wise worthless could just transfer over the useful stuff and leave it to rot or transfer stuff then slowly train skills as alpha if worth it.

No they’re not!!

1 Like

I kind of don’t agree with this in a way as the process of optimizing and experimenting to push limit’s in itself is super fun, if you just look up a guide on how to do it yes that is destroying all the fun.

Good writeup and good points. They may not all be factually correct but they are certainly valid as “a perspective that a new player can easily encounter”.

Some comments I have in regards to your points:

• Agreed that the “public perception” of EVE is more negative than positive. I’ve tested this myself in other games and forums, and if you ask “How’s EVE?” you’ll get 70/30 split on negative comments vs. positive. Even though a lot of those negatives are from people repeating memes they’ve heard about EVE (“spreadsheets, toxic, griefers, gankers, boring, hard, second job” etc.) they’re still out there - and there’s a lot more of them than positives.
  • You actually would have been better off starting a new account with a referral link than re-activating the old.
  • I wouldn’t say “everything in Rookie Help is BS” but yes there’s a lot of information that isn’t useful to an actual new player, or is only useful from a certain perspective. With free volunteer help, you get what you pay for.
  • “Magic 14” is less about “get these first” and more about “If you don’t know what you want to train next, these 14 skills can be trained any time and will generally come in handy sooner or later”. Remember you can switch your training queue around at any point, so these are “filler” skills.
  • Multiple accounts aren’t necessary and won’t really help an Alpha anyway. Multiple accounts won’t help you compete in trade or industry with 5-10 year vets. Alphas can be ‘productive’ doing certain things but generally not in those areas where skills and game knowledge are needed.
  • Yes there is a huge gap between what most Alphas can achieve and what a lot of vets seem to think they can achieve.
  • Don’t get hung up on the ‘logic’ of skills, etc. I can easily “head-canon” why these ‘could’ work this way, but why bother? If you’re signing up for warp drive, immortal clones, superweapons and space aliens, are you really worried about the ‘realism of the learning process’?

Lots of other points but too many to reply to. Biggest issue is in your summary about game old, has flaws, push people away, hope something new and good comes, game industry moving away from the super-grind etc.

Unfortunately the decision and design process at CCP basically fossilized about 12 years ago when CCP lost most of it’s creative talent. Since then, Hilmar & cronies have assumed “the sandbox is finished, now all we have to do is figure out how to shift everyone to Nullsec and paying for 4 subs each to play”.

CCP stopped trying to make a better EVE at that point, and focused on making more money from EVE so they could throw it away on “other projects”, all of which have failed.

I would like to believe something new and better is coming down the pipes, but I don’t see it happening with the same old crowd running the show.

6 Likes

This is a pretty key point. I see so many times, vets saying “Alphas can do fine all it takes is experience and player skill (not SP)”.

Gee, guess what new players don’t have? Experience and player skill. Guess what vets have way more of? Experience and player skill.

An actual new player has the lowest skills, with the worst gear, little experience and little understanding of EVE game mechanics. Saying “well yeah but if he simply goes and reads the info on 10 websites and watches 30 videos he’ll learn” is just plain ridiculous.

As Aisha says, a new player isn’t going to be making informed, correct, productive decisions.

Different people will have different takes on what that means for EVE, but I can guarantee you “new players can do fine as an Alpha because all it takes is skill and experience” isn’t a practical solution to new player retention.

5 Likes

Isn’t that straight out of Elder Scrolls, though ? I seem to recall Oblivion had some such wheel you could spin that would affect a NPC’s stance to you, or could even do a little gamble type thing.

1 Like

It’s not an issue as long as newbies, and people who tell stuff to newbies, are realistic. People should stop bragging about income and the amazing things they do on their (alpha) alts, setting some kind of income and play style expectations a newbie can’t handle.

Some newbie who’s been playing for a week doesn’t need 20 mil isk/h, what they need it to try a thousand different things to figure out what they actually want to do. Some moron in rookie going “go do X for best income” and then blurt out some random unrealistic number isn’t helping at all. Give them time to find their own way at their own pace.

In that regard the new achievement window is actually very good as it shows a whole lot of actions and goals within the basic play styles incentivising newbies to try stuff. I just wish they had first done the career missions and perhaps completely reform them instead of just fixing them (if that ever happens).

@Altara_Zemara Sorry, I only ever played Skyrim and I don’t remember a wheel in it. Maybe if someone read this who played Oblivion could tell us… but it’s off topic so we risk big with that stunt, hehe.

True and CCP and lots of players here are making it look like that this is free2play game and you can earn enough money for omega with (one) alpha clone account as a new player.

Which is misleading, Sure you can, but it will be something along these lines:

6 Likes