Native Mac Client Playtest #2 - General Feedback & Issues

I retested using an external FullHD display (while also keeping my laptop display on for other stuff) and everything works quite nice at max settings. I manage around 60fps (the maximum). Warping to jita station still crashes the client if settings are maxed out. Unfortunately I cannot test for more than 10 minutes at max settings as in my room there are 35°C at the moment, so the computer struggles a lot (as do I).

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB

This test was a beauty :slight_smile:

MacMini (2020 / M1)
8Gb / 256 SSD
1080HD resolution (with 2 screen connected - one used) - Fixed Windows

Was rarely under 30FPS. Regularly at 30-40 FPS. The 60 fps is with half the ships.

Ty CCP for making a native M1.

Eden,

Generally if I want to upload a video for the devs - I load it to a shared Google drive then put the shared link in the bug report - then post the bug report number here with an “@“ at the dev.

Could you please try this a bit further? For me those shortcuts are working fine on the M1 (both MacMini and MBP). Are other shortcuts working correctly or are all broken? I know currently of one known issue with shortcuts, that with some language settings it is possible to break some shortcuts temporarily by pressing the key below the ESC key (as it triggers some kind of composition mode).

It would be great, if you could write bug reports about those issues, optimally from the client (F12 (or Help menu from Neocom) - Report Bug) - please include screenshots for the graphical glitches.

I can’t try the mac version cause i got a black screen …

Hello, I was not able to join the mass test (AUTZ, it was like midnight on my time). But I just logged in and test things out.

My in:
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)
2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
6 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

While the client is a bit slower on the open (kinda normal even with wine on my mbp). First impression on start is its more lightweight than wine client.

The only issue I’ve ran to so far is when like dragging to rotate (spin) ship view in station or in space, the cursor kinds of jumps around. Few minutes after I undocked, the client froze and crashed.

I will continue to play around with it, general experience is great. Thank you for making a native mac client.

o7

Have only managed to log into Sisi onceso far. When I did finally manage to get in the hangar view was completely messed up (Blue screen ray trace style) and the n it crashed my Mac Pro into a reboot. I’ve tried logging bak into to Siri again and now only have a black screen. So far the new client is unplayable for me on both a 2019 MacBook Pro and a 2013 Mac Pro.

First quick remark: you have changed some of the essential shortcuts for the Mac version (ones like ‘stop ship’ etc) – this is completely unnecessary and annoying. We have been playing with these known and good shortcuts for years. There is no excuse to mess with them or change them for the Mac client. Just leave them what they’ve always been. No need to start relearning these things.

Hi there @CCP_Habakuk

All the shortcuts do not work. Does it have to do with System Preferences and privacy settings?

Bug videos are in here btw:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1G9EI0G9VEIvNWmoPbGw_2PzfgdwTVbl3?usp=sharing

MacBook Pro 13inch 2020 M1 8GB

Runs like a dream, graphical improvements are stunning, general play through for about an hour last night and had no issues. Certainly a lot less drain on my MB - wine usually has my battery drained in about two hours!

Looking forward to this going live once the issues are resolved.

IMac 2021, 24 inch 4.5k Retina, M1 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB memory

It has been impossible to get the Wine client to run on this machine but the new native launcher works like a dream. Graphics are beautiful, frame rates good and smooth play comparable to Windows. I wasn’t able to make the test (NZ early morning on a work day) but this evening a couple of hours basic travelling and ratting went very smoothly.

No obvious glitches so far (other than no character portraits). I’ll see if I can try out FW pressures tomorrow.

I am very grateful for the work you devs have put into making a native Mac client and so far, magnificent job. Well done!

Only one I have see change is stop ship

Shift+space = stop.

What other ones have changed?

I don’t use a lot of the combinations for opening different windows but basic flight controls work. Just curious

when we see that client on tq??
he is so great for m1

My system: Macbook Pro 2017, 2.8GHz Quad Core Intel i7. 16GB RAM. Dual graphics: Radeon Pro 555, Intel HD Graphics 630.

I agree that the graphics look stunning and are a huge improvement over the Windows client. Some of the ship SKINs look like completely new versions, they are that good.

Haven’t experienced any problems running it yet, but I plan to spend a lot more time on Singularity still.

One other issue I noticed last night – there seems to be a dimming of certain ship hulls when docked in a station (Amarr). The station environment looks okay, but the ship is obviously dimmer than looks normal. I noticed this dimming with the Raven hull, for example. But some other hulls looked completely fine (Brutix Navy Issue didn’t appear to have this problem). I will have to check this again, to see if this is a consistent problem.

Clear screen for example (in order to take a screenshot). Ctrl + F9 no longer works.

I have just noticed a weird thing: It does not appear that the native client forces the switch to the discrete GPU. I’ll try to explain better.

Even though when pressing ctrl+f it shows “metal \ AMD Radeon Pro 5300M”, when checking from the apple menu>about this mac which GPU is in use, it says that it’s using the Intel UHD Graphics.

I also checked the historical use using iStat Menus and the Activity monitor, and for the native client it does not switch to the discrete one.

I did the same thing using the wine client and it instantly switches.

I do not know if it manages to use the AMD GPU only for the game, but as far as I know, this system cannot use them both at the same time. I might also be missing something, but still, this had never happened.

I’ll do some testing by forcing the AMD GPU on from the system preferences, but it would be nice to have a feedback.

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB

EDIT: I did some brief testing and disabling the “automatic graphics switching” from the battery menu, thus forcing the use of the AMD GPU, I get better FPS doing the same thing (engaging some rats in an asteroid belt with all settings to max and a resolution of 3072x1920 goes from around 20FPS to around 35FPS)

Seems like Eve nuked my profiles on its own without backing them up… ouch!

Profiles are gone from the TQ folders too though (EDIT: They actually still work on TQ, but copying to SISI doesn’t work), so I’m not sure what the deal is. Perhaps a coincidence? No other known issues with the computer though. (New intel MBP).

Also, could not reload the z-s overview in Sisi.

Hi all

We have just deployed a new build to Sisi. The main changes are:

• Crashing should be vastly reduced. Any crashes from this point are probably not known to us. If you get a crash, please file a bug report, and let us know what you were doing.
  • God rays should look similar to Windows now @Amarisen_Gream
  • There is a possible fix for keyboard key blocking (the client didn’t receive keyboard input after certain keys were pressed)

Hopefully, the crash fixes help anyone who wants to test over the weekend.

Thanks to everyone who joined the playtest yesterday.

1 Like

Thanks for noticing it. I seem to have the same thing going on.

@Aleksandre_Makan , @Meridan_Night - Could you open the FPS windows (Control + F) and see what GPU it reports there?
Would you kindly bug report this (F12) so we can get more system details. This is a very weird bug that we’ve not seen before. It may explain why some users are seeing suboptimal performance