Negative/toxic culture towards new players

Weird. He must be role-playing.

21 years and counting. EVE is, I believe, the 3rd longest running MMO in gaming history. You don’t get that distinction by accident. EVE is a niche game. Always has been, always will be. Even at its peak we only had around 50k to 60k players. This game will never see WoW-level login numbers, and for that I am eternally grateful…

4 Likes

If a new player gets treated like garbage, there’s usually a reason. And 99.99999% of the time that reason is because they skipped the tutorial and career agents, and acted like EVE is just another match of Fortnite they can jump right into. Then they find out the hard way. And quick…

7 Likes

That or they’re demanding, exceptionally lazy or just giving off bad vibes.

5 Likes

I hate to be the Boomer, but complaints about EVE being toxic or “too hard” tend to come from the younger generations…

4 Likes

Maybe for the Gen Z/Alphas, CCP could offer the option of having the tutorial and career agent mission text printed out in emojis so they might be able to understand…

3 Likes

I’d legit love that gyatt w suggestion no cap fr

2 Likes

Someone’s got that skibidi toilet Ohio sigma rizz…

2 Likes

:rocket: + :rock: = :fire:

:princess:t2: = :moneybag: :parrotcop:

3 Likes

I have an alt that spends a lot of time in the ganker channel, and to be honest the only toxicity I see is from the ganked…foul mouthed language and threats. The gankers themselves are a nice friendly and helpful bunch.

Losing ships is a fundamental part of Eve, and is what keeps the entire economy going. It is people getting toxic over losing ships that is the problem. Everything else, ganking, mining permits, scams, etc, is perfectly legitimate gameplay and always has been.

Nobody is forcing out new players…but equally, new players do have to learn that Eve is a tough place. It is not supposed to be a nice cuddly Telletubbie environment. It’s a place where you sink or swim…and long may it remain that way.

3 Likes

No, can’t say there is a hostile attitude specifically against new players. There’s plenty of help coming to people that are seen as newbros, I’ve had a fair amount of it myself. And there are plenty of corps and alliances that unmistakenly specify that new players are welcome. Even nullbloc alliances are reaching out towards newer players.

The groups in EVE understand that the most valueable resource to have is active manpower.

So to tie it back to what you were saying in your opening post, your perception of how new players are treated does not match with mine, and several other players that have commented here already. You point to ganking as the prime suspect for a crime that does not exist, at least as far as I can perceive.

I would recommend to take a breather and rethink what you’re typing in here. Just because you lose your ships to ganking every couple of years does not mean that new players are systematically hunted and driven to extinction, that’s just jumping to massive conclusions and also not the reality in this game.

Ok?

With new regards
-James Fuchs

5 Likes

I definitely agree to some extent. EVE has managed to hang on for a very long time. However, I would argue if another developer came along and built a solid space MMO to compete that would likely change. EVE is the only of its kind, truly, though the lack of real competition alone has significantly helped keep it alive.

A lack of high population and game revenue has kept this game pretty true to its core, while other games like WoW have strayed beyond recognition after endless expansions and changes. This is partially why I always find myself returning over the years to continue playing. I know I have essentially the same game to play as I did when I first started.

Maybe EVE has nothing to worry about and they won’t ever have low enough numbers for a larger developer to buy them out and ruin the game. That’s my concern with what I am seeing in-game. Maybe it’s just the systems I am in. Just seeing the same handful of fleet hosts and the majority of them are not kind, to anyone. New or experienced.

2 Likes

Star Citizen might, in another 20 years, after it’s been crowd-funded to the GDP of a small country… :wink:

2 Likes

I never said or implied either of those things. I specifically said that ganking and PVP combat are part of the game’s DNA. It’s what I am seeing from players running fleets where I am and how they are treating newer players.

I understand this is a big game, lots of systems, and have already acknowledged it may just be the area that I am in.

1 Like

That game will never be completed haha.

1 Like

The only game that you can play right now that even comes remotely close to being EVE-like is X4.

omg I am late :sob:

Even the vanilla is all about cheap shih to gank bigger threats.
Except Xe stations.

Evochron Legends is a far better sim than X4.

In the general discussion forum for sure. This thread is a fine example.

Hiring some moderators might fix that.

Mr Epeen :sunglasses:

4 Likes